Hellenistic Astrology

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
entheogens
Textkit Neophyte

Hellenistic Astrology

Post by entheogens »

I have been a student of modern languages for a long time, however besides high school Latin, this is my first go with ancient languages. I'm studying Ancient Greek in the hopes of reading the astrologers and astronomers of the hellenistic world. I've only been studying for a month. I'm using the Quinn and Hansen book, using the online videos by Mueller associated with that book, and am awaiting the arrival of the Assimil "Le Grec Ancien" course. I've given myself a huge challenge. After I've mastered the Ancient Greek well enough to read some of the texts that interest me, I will begin studying Quranic Arab and/or Babylonia, both in pursuit of the study of ancient astrology.

I

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Hellenistic Astrology

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit!

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Hellenistic Astrology

Post by RandyGibbons »

the astrologers and astronomers of the hellenistic world
Let me echo Bedwere's welcome to Textkit. You've got an interesting reason for wanting to learn ancient Greek. Just one fyi, which you may or may not already know: When you say "hellenistic", are you referring to the Hellenistic Era, strictly defined (usually as being between the death of Alexander the Great in 323 BCE and the Battle of Actium, 31 BCE), or more broadly (as I suspect) to ancient Greece in general? (If you meant the former, you may disappointed in what remains of original works).

Also, in case you're not already familiar with it, I recommend The History and Practice of Ancient Astronomy by James Evans (1998). It's a thorough history interspersed with, believe it or not, exercises, which is an excellent means of getting your head into the observation of celestial phenomena as it appeared to the ancients.

Last fyi: Bedwere is an expert in both modern and ancient astronomy - I hope he won't mind my saying so! - and can be a tremendous resource to you.

May the stars align to support your ambitious and interesting endeavor!

Randy Gibbons