Digital lexica and commentaries

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Redhead
Textkit Neophyte

Digital lexica and commentaries

Post by Redhead »

What projects are you aware of that is developing proper digital lexica and commentaries? It seems to me that the possibilities that could be found in a properly thought out digital format are not really explored, or am I missing something? Sure, some stuff are published online, but I have yet to see anything that makes actual good use of existing technology. I'm thinking of the new Oxford Latin Syntax, the etymological dictionaries by Brill, The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek, Brill's New Pauly, Encyclopedia of Ancient Greek Language and Linguistics, and so on. These are all nice to have online, but they, since they are produced within the framework of the physical format, could be SO MUCH MORE than they are. I think the upcoming the Cambridge lexicon might me a good case in point. It's a new lexicon that will be published online. But it will still be conformed by it's physical format, so it won't be a genuine digital resource, at least in my view. That's my issue here.

I constantly find myself daydreaming about how we could expand the genre-boundaries of our standard resources, and I would like to know what you working philologists are thinking about this.

If you are familiar with anything in the list below that might be relevant in this context, please inform us!
https://wiki.digitalclassicist.org/inde ... t#mw-pages