Neophyte C.B. Davis PHD

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
dr.cbdavis@yahoo.com
Textkit Neophyte

Neophyte C.B. Davis PHD

Post by dr.cbdavis@yahoo.com »

I trust that the editors will inform me if this is the wrong way to begin, but I was told to write a short introduction. I am semi-retired educator, although I also play jazz piano professionally. I taught Theatre History for many years as a professor, specializing in ancient theatre. When I was at the University of Georgia I got to teach special topics classes and introduced students to the current theories and evidence pertaining to the evolution of ancient to modern theatre. We eventually read all the tragedians, Aristophanes, Menander and Roman comedy. I taught an "extension" course on Euripides when I was Post-doc at Stanford. Some of my students could read Greek, so we had fun and I was kept on my toes. I'm reading mostly Homer now in Greek, although I recently read Sophocles' Ajax. I'm trying to memorize the "Time speech" in Greek. What a poet! I've directed the Birds with big puppets and humans interacting, and Lysistrata as well.
Now that I have time to read Greek I want to communicate with other Hellenists. Thanks for the opportunity!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Neophyte C.B. Davis PHD

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit!

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

Welcome C.B. Who is your favorite contemporary jazz pianist? (Mine is the Bill Charlap trio.)

Randy Gibbons

ariphron
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ariphron »

What a fascinating person.

When I was in college I played piano in the school jazz ensembles, both big band and combos, though I never got good enough to consider playing professionally. I brought the woman who is now my wife to one of my performances, which my parents also happened to attend. This was my wife's meet-the-parents experience – totally without warning. She later told me that I had made a good move there.

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

When I was in college I played piano in the school jazz ensembles
Cool! What college? (I wasn't a musician but was closely involved with the music scene at the University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana in the late 60's. Among other things, on my college radio station jazz program, I got to interview the amazing John Garvey, who was both the violist for the Walden String Quarter and the founder and leader of the award-winning U of I Jazz Band, which traveled in the summers to among other places the USSR. This was a double-edged sword for Garvey, because he was afraid of flying and insisted on getting to Europe by boat!)

To make it relevant to Classics, check out Ralph Rosen's comparison of Milman Parry/Alfred North's Homer to jazz.