Salvete omnes!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Propertius
Textkit Fan

Salvete omnes!

Post by Propertius »

Hello all! New here. Not to Latin though. Been studying it on and off for five years now. I’ll admit I’ve been slacker though. Not anymore though. I’m twenty eight now. I have to get through it now. I don’t want to be learning it still ar forty. Besides, Greek is next after Latin. So the longer I take with Latin, the longer it will take me to get to Greek. A few months ago I came to the realization that to be really fluent at reading Latin one must also know how to write it. So I put down Orberg’s Lingua Latina (pars II) and got me a copy of Hillard and Botting’s elementary Latin composition excercises. Has anyone else used this book? It’s going pretty good. I’m learning a lot of grammar that I thought I already knew (relative pronouns and when to use which case for example) and how to conjugate verbs. What I don’t like about it is that the vocabulary is limited. I was thinking of using Bennett’s New Latin Composition together with it. Has anyone tried that one too? What are your opinions on both those books for a beginner to Latin composition. I was planning on doing Hillard and North’s Latin compostion after I finish those two books and then ending my journey of Latin composition with Bradley’s Arnold, which I hear is the best book to use for Latin compostion, and also found out that it’s the book Harvard uses to teach Latin composition. That’s another question I have: do you all know what books the top universities for Classics use to teach Latin and Greek? What reader does Harvard use? Orberg’s Lingua Latina? What about Oxford and Cambridge? I read somewhere that Georgetown University uses Orberg’s book.

Scribere et legere et fortasse etiam loqui facunde lingua Latina olim volo.

My attempt of writing something in Latin on my first post. It looks correct to me. Please correct me if I’m wrong though. Thank you.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Salvete omnes!

Post by bedwere »

Libenter te suscipimus.