ΣΥΝΟΔΟΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ July 12–18, 2020 at the University of Kentucky, Lexington

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
bedwere
Global Moderator

ΣΥΝΟΔΟΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ July 12–18, 2020 at the University of Kentucky, Lexington

Post by bedwere »

ΣΥΝΟΔΟΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ
July 12–18, 2020

at the University of Kentucky, Lexington

Anyone with at least intermediate knowledge of ancient Greek and an interest in developing active competence in the language is invited to the fourth annual σύνοδος ἑλληνική adjacent to the campus of the University of Kentucky, modeled on the well-known Latin conventicula which Professor Terence Tunberg has organized since 1996. The σύνοδος is organized by Humanitas in cooperation with the Polis Institute, Jerusalem. For one week, we will use ancient Greek as an active language of communication to talk about everyday objects and events and to discuss selections from a wide variety of ancient Greek texts. This sort of immersion experience will benefit a variety of ancient Greek users: students who wish to read ancient Greek more quickly and without automatically producing an English translation; teachers who wish to introduce oral and/or aural ancient Greek into their classrooms; and anyone who wishes to encounter ancient Greek in a way that might be different from his or her previous experiences. Those with prior experience – either minimal or extensive – speaking ancient Greek are most welcome, as are those who have never spoken ancient Greek at all. During the week of the σύνοδος, we ask that participants use only Greek to communicate with each other and with the facilitators.

Please note, however, that the σύνοδος is not designed for people still learning the elements of Greek grammar. Anyone unsure about whether the σύνοδος is a good fit for his or her background should feel free to apply and allow the organizers to judge based on the application.

APPLICATION DEADLINE

The deadline for receipt of entry fees is May 1, 2020. Those who wish to participate, however, are strongly urged to apply as soon as possible to secure a spot. For 2020 there are 25 places available

Please note that the entry fee and lodging fee, once paid, are not refundable. This, unfortunately, is an administrative necessity..

THE FIRST DAY OF THE ΣΥΝΟΔΟΣ

On the first day (July 12), nothing is scheduled until the evening, when there will be an informal reception starting at 7PM. All participants are strongly urged to attend. At this reception any language – not only ancient Greek, but Latin, English, etc. – may be used to communicate. The next morning (July 13), no language will be allowed except ancient Greek. If at all possible, therefore, participants are encouraged to arrive in Lexington before 4:00PM on July 12 to allow enough time to find their lodgings and familiarize themselves with the location of the σύνοδος before the reception begins.

FACILITATORS

Dr. Christophe Rico, a linguist and expert in spoken ancient Greek, is the director of the Polis Institute, Jerusalem, which runs regular courses in ancient Greek as a spoken language during the academic year in Jerusalem and intensive courses in a variety of countries during the summer. He is the author of Polis: Speaking Ancient Greek as a Living Language (Polis) and Mère de l’Enfant-Roi – Isaïe 7, 14 (Éditions du Cerf).

Stephen Hill is a Ph.D. student in Classics at the University of Virginia, having earned M.A. degrees in Classics (University of Kentucky) and Teaching English as a Second Language (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign). His research focuses on ancient Greek religion in imperial Greek literature. He has taught intensive Greek courses for the Polis Institute in Italy, Florida, and Virginia.

REGISTRATION FEE

The registration fee for participating in the σύνοδος is $175.

HOUSING FEE

In previous years, those who wished to stay in university housing paid the organizers of the σύνοδος directly (both the entry fee and the housing fee). This year, however, each person requesting rooms in conference housing will reserve her/his room(s) directly and will pay the cost of lodging not to us, but directly to the managers of the student housing facilities. The costs of different kinds of rooming arrangements in conference housing are available at sch.uky.edu/overnight-accomodations.html.

MEALS

The location of the σύνοδος is within walking distance from a variety of restaurants, including cafeterias. We will distribute a list of these in advance of the σύνοδος. One or both facilitators will offer an optional Greek lunch daily.

PARKING

Participants who plan to come to the conventiculum in their own cars and want to park their cars on the University campus will need to buy a parking permit. They will receive a ticket to be displayed in their vehicles, which will give them the right to use the University parking lots for the whole week of the seminar. To purchase a parking permit, please phone the Department of Parking and Transportation at (859) 257-5757, or go to the office in person after arriving to buy a permit in person. The Parking & Transportation Services office is open on normal business days until 4:00 p.m. and is located at 721 Press Avenue, Lexington 40508-0571.

HOW TO APPLY

Anyone interested in participating in the σύνοδος should fill out this online form. Submission of the form does not guarantee acceptance.

Testimonials from participants: | Λόγοι ἐπαινετικοὶ ὑπὸ μετόχων συγγεγραμμένοι·

“I became convinced that speaking is not really optional. If you forfeit this step, then you give up the ability to go so much further in reading Greek throughout your life. “

“I am able to understand spoken Greek far better than I was at the start of the σύνοδος. I am also able to think and speak in Greek much more quickly! I have noticed that reading Euripides is now more comfortable than it was before the σύνοδος, and I expect the same will be true of other Greek authors.”

“[The σύνοδος] gave me a much firmer grip on the Greek language and texts through its unique approach and active use of the language. I have become familiar with the language at a depth I didn't know was even possible.”

“The σύνοδος definitely increased my confidence in Greek. It helped me look at a page of Greek not so much as a puzzle to be decoded but rather as an intelligible language. It also gave me a start in speaking the language.”

“The συνοδος showed me what is possible with the language. Greek no longer feels daunting at all. The συνοδος shows me how much can be achieved with hard work and time.”

“It was as though a wall had been broken down between my passive knowledge of the language and my ability to produce it. Being forced to express everything in Greek led to my ability to do so rising from latency to actuality.”

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: ΣΥΝΟΔΟΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ July 12–18, 2020 at the University of Kentucky, Lexington

Post by bedwere »

POSTPONED until 2021
:(