Peter E. Knox, Angelo Poliziano. Greek and Latin Poetry.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Peter E. Knox, Angelo Poliziano. Greek and Latin Poetry.

Post by seneca2008 »

I have seen this review http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu/2019/2019-12-12.html of "Peter E. Knox, Angelo Poliziano. Greek and Latin Poetry. I Tatti Renaissance library, 86. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2019. Pp. 448. ISBN 9780674984578. $29.95."

I would be grateful to hear from someone who has read Poliziano. It seems interesting material and I wonder whether it is worth adding to my ever growing reading list.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Peter E. Knox, Angelo Poliziano. Greek and Latin Poetry.

Post by Aetos »

Here's a taste:
https://archive.org/stream/prosevolgari ... 6/mode/2up
I haven't read him, either. Just as yours, my plate is rather full at the moment, but I have started Thyestes!(Tarrant's edition)

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Thanks Aetos. Perhaps you could post your thoughts on Thyestes? Schiesaro's The Passions in Play: Thyestes and the Dynamics of Senecan Drama is very well worth reading.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

I've just finished Tarrant's introduction and am now reading Act I/Prologue. I should have some comments/questions after I finish the act. According to Tarrant, the Prologue is unlike most prologues: it is not so much an introduction or a broad overview of the story, rather it is the play itself in microcosm, where the interaction of the characters sets the tone and the theme for what is to come. This apparently is one of the aspects of the play that makes it and Seneca's drama in general so unique. Tarrant's commentary is the most extensive I think I've ever seen and well worth reading! Schiesaro's book is a bit expensive (45 quid!). I'm checking at libraries in the area.
Thank you for suggesting this, Seneca!

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Aetos wrote:Schiesaro's book is a bit expensive (45 quid!). I'm checking at libraries in the area.

Much cheaper here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listi ... 716&sr=8-4

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

Thanks! I just placed the order. I had checked abebooks.com but their lowest price is $27 US plus $17.00 shipping. It's not often these days that I see a better price on Amazon.