Greetings

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
greek101
Textkit Neophyte

Greetings

Post by greek101 »

Hi everyone, I've starded studying greek a few months ago, and I'm using various textbooks and checking all the resources I can get for learning.

I found out there is a lack of audio resources for those that dont' have access to a teacher, and need to hear the words spoken. I see that that rhapsody website by Stephen G. Daitz that had some audio resources has been taken down, and even from web archive it seems not possible to get the recordings.
I see the recent work on Xenophon' anabasis completed recently by bedwere and posted on librivox, which is a great achievement. There are a few other recordings on librivox, but still not many and not tailored for beginners.
I'm looking however for more poetic and mythic stuff (I don't find military stuff very "juicy", or engaging as an introduction to greek). I like for instance Apollodorus, Homer, or even some passages from Plutarch or Xenophon' own memorabilia.

I've collected some of the sentences and passages I like most and I'm considering starting a librivox book collection to find potential readers, to create a learing resource targeted at beginners. I'm also working on a open source mobile app that allows to listen to very short phrases to learn the grammar (for which also I'm looking for potential readers).

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Greetings

Post by Aetos »

Welcome to Textkit!

<snip>

It may not have all of Daitz, but it has some of his "best stuff".
Last edited by jeidsath on Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The recordings are under copyright and can be purchased from https://www.bolchazy.com

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Greetings

Post by Aetos »

Thanks for catching this, Joel. I thought soundcloud was a legitimate site. Previously the sound files were hosted by Virginia Tech (I found them from a link on Paula Debnar's Homeric Greek site), so I thought they'd be okay on soundcloud. Then I checked your link. Bolchazy must have purchased the rights.