In Search of S.M. Stephenson's Latin Textbooks

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
dhousto6
Textkit Neophyte

In Search of S.M. Stephenson's Latin Textbooks

Post by dhousto6 »

Hello all, and Happy New Year ~

I'm in search of a resource, and I'm hoping a post on the Textkit forum might produce a lead. In the 1930s, a man called Stephen Mathias (S.M.) Stephenson (b. 1874) self-published two texts, one called Stylistic; or A Critical Anthology Covering the Whole Field of Latin Literature; one called A Brief Yet Complete Practical Latin Grammar and Classical Everyday Latin Conversations with a Latin Vocabulary of Modern Terms. Both seem to have been available by addressing the author at the Pontifical College Josephinum in Worthington, Ohio (The Classical Outlook 18, no. 1 (1940): 8.)

It seems Reggie Foster used the Stylistic, which he claimed was by "some old Slovenian priest
from Ohio. His name was Stephenson, in English anyway." (Connaughton. "Latin Allocution and the Applications and Usage of Latin as a Modern Language by the Vatican City State." Thesis. Miami University, 2003).

I have a pdf of the Stylistic, which is indeed a nifty text. Does anyone have access to the Practical Grammar? I'd be thrilled to have a pdf; or, if you have a copy to part with, I'd be happy to purchase one. Additionally, any biographical info on Stephenson would be a boon. He's not easy to track!

Thanks for looking!

DH

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: In Search of S.M. Stephenson's Latin Textbooks

Post by bedwere »

No ebook available on Google Books

https://books.google.com/books?id=6iP6tgAACAAJ

Welcome to Textkit.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

There seem to be copies of both in Pontifical College Josephinum library.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Search at WorldCat

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

I know you said you already have a pdf of Stylistic but for those interested in it, John Byron Kuhner has recently posted a downloadable copy on his website: http://www.johnbyronkuhner.com/2020/01/ ... literature