Introduction

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Rara890
Textkit Neophyte

Introduction

Post by Rara890 »

Hi everyone.

My name is Layla. I've just started learning Classical Greek and Latin from scratch at university. Any tips at all for memorising, especially Greek, are greatly appreciated.

thanks

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Introduction

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit, Layla!

Andriko
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Introduction

Post by Andriko »

Hello and welcome!

I have done a very bad job at memorizing Greek, but things are finally starting to stick into the grey matter -

-If you keep seeing a word come up and don't know it, it's a good one to learn, ie. look it up in a lexicon, preferably Liddel and Scott, and maybe right it out in some of it's declensions/ conjugations.

-Don't look up words as you go along, try to read a complete 'chunk' first, and then re-read it a couple of times. Then look up the words you don't know - sometimes the context can supply the meaning, and besides, if you keep breaking your flow you will forget what you've just read anyway.
(A chunk could be a sentence, paragraph or whatever depending on what you are reading and what level you are at).

-I have found it helpful to re-read things I have read already sometime later.

-This one is less obvious, but I have found it has helped in the long run:

If there is something you particularly want to read in Greek or Latin, get hold of a copy as soon as you can, preferably in as 'raw' an edition as you can (ie. no translation on the opposite page), and fairly regularly read it in tiny doses (a few lines before you go to bed or something) without referring to a lexicon, grammar or anything. You won't understand word for quite a while, and I am not sure why it helps, but it's about the best way to just get 'exposed' to a language when there aren't News Broadcasts or TV programs like there are for modern languages.

I am not sure what book you are learning from, but http://atticgreek.org/ has some useful resources, and especially the first section of http://atticgreek.org/downloads/Transitioning.pdf . It is the website for Mastonarde's Greek textbook.

A