Typing metrical schemes

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
nate.a
Textkit Neophyte

Typing metrical schemes

Post by nate.a »

Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to type out neat metrical schemes in Word (or similar word processing software)?

In the past I have used a combination of "u" for short and "-" for long, however I'd like to be able to type full schemes relatively neatly, as they appear, for instance, in our books (i.e. perfect and in-line).

An example of what I'd like to do can be found in Mastronarde, M. J. (2002). Euripides: Medea, CUP, pp. 190-91.
or
Barrett, W. S. (1964). Euripides: Hippolytos, OUP, p. 168.

An example of "close, but no cigar" would be Parker, L. P. E. (2005). Euripides: Alcestis, OUP, p. 69.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :D

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Typing metrical schemes

Post by bedwere »

I haven't tried myself, but LaTeX is always the way to go for anything related to typing:

metre – Support for the work of classicists

nate.a
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nate.a »

Thanks!

I'll give it a go.

nate.a
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nate.a »

Update.

I had a go at LaTeX but couldn't dedicate the right amount of time to getting used to it.

I managed to find the font Anaxiforminx from http://www.antiqvitas.it/fonts.htm which allows one to type out metrical schemes both quickly and easily.
I don't know who developed it, but it is extremely useful.