Old Geezer Thread

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Kopio
Global Moderator

Old Geezer Thread

Post by Kopio »

At the suggestion of a newer member here. I thought it might be a good time to reintroduce ourselves as well as post a picture for those who would like to.
AgoNxRuS wrote: We should create a topic inquiring how old everyone is. I would be rather interested in knowing as to how many old geezers this community consists of.
I love the term "geezer"...I am a geezer of 35 years old. And for the record Agnon, I have shoes older than you (I'm totally serious)!

Here a shot of my wife and I from a couple of years ago (just imagine me with more hair now)

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Re: Old Geezer Thread

Post by perispomenon »

Kopio wrote:At the suggestion of a newer member here. I thought it might be a good time to reintroduce ourselves as well as post a picture for those who would like to.
Are you already an old geezer at 35???? You are a young boy still!

Let me think about posting a picture of myself... a 40 year old geezer.

Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Diane »

babies, all of you.

I am a geezette of 68.

No, I was not contemporary with Homer.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Old Geezer Thread

Post by Bert »

Kopio wrote: I am a geezer of 35 years old. And for the record Agnon, I have shoes older than you (I'm totally serious)!
Kopio; Let me call you brother. I am not the only one who does not throw functional shoes away just because they are old enough to vote. I have a pair of running shoes (a geeky looking pair of Adidas) I had already in the Netherlands and I moved to Canada in 1979.
Back to the topic: I am 44 years old (young?)

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

You have shoes old enough to vote? My car (well, legally it belongs to my dad, but possession is nine tenths of something) is old enough to vote, but SHOES.

I consider myself lucky if I can use shoes for three years without them falling apart. Of course, I'm quite physically active, as all the blemishes on my foot and warped toe nails can attest (of course part of the warpage is caused by the fact that I have wide feet, and almost every shoe which is wide enough is too long for my feet...)

Oh yeah, introducing myself.

I am GlottalGreekGeek. I picked this username for a number of reasons

1) I like alliteration
2) "Glottal", while a word in the English language, is derived from the Greek word glossa/glotta (depending on dialect) which means 'tongue'. This is cool because first of all, it's an ancient Greek word, and second, it shows my love for the spoken word.
3) My main interest here is Greek, though recently I have become interested in Plautus and Terence (especially Plautus)
4) I like Geeks, and I would like to think of myself as one. I originally thought to make my username "GlottalGreekGirl", but I decided "Girl" was a little too bland - besides, I find it incredible fun to have people be wrong about my gender, and the "Girl" part would make my gender painfully obvious.

I am not here as much as I used to be because I am currently in a very intense theatre training program. To be frank, I am a theatre junkie - during high school, I would sometimes see ten theatre shows a month. Ironically, now that I am studying theatre more intensely, I have less free time/energy to see them. I want to be an actress, but recently I have become enchanted with the idea of becoming a theate producer/manager as well. I have no idea how long I will be enchanted with this notion, and I may be disillusioned as soon as I actually try to step into a manager's shoes, but it's something boiling in the back of my brain.

My great claim to fame in this forum is reading the entire Iliad in Greek during my senior year of high school. It can be done. Especially if you have an incredibly boring Biology class where you can (quietly) pursue something more engaging. And the one time my Biology teacher actually caught me, he thought I was doing English (he must have missed the fact that it was in a different alphabet).

It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to write something so digressive. It feels very good.

EDIT : My current avatar actually looks a little like I do in real life. I mean - the structure of my face is very different, but my hair would probably look very much like that if somebody put it up in that hairdo. I assure you, my hair is very-high maintenence, so I usually try to keep it simple (I am one of the few people who actually has to use *more* than the recommended amount of shampoo on shampoo containers to get good results). Also, I am currently 18 years old. As far as old geezers go, I'm lame. Of course, when I go visit my high school (which I have done once since I graduated) I feel like an old geezer when I see all the freshmen who I don't know at all (I came from a small high school where even the freshmen and seniors knew each other).
Last edited by GlottalGreekGeek on Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

fun... it's been awhile since we did this.

my pic is in my avatar (watch, I'll go and change it to something else and then where will we be...)

When I was in grade school I had a teacher who made us diagram english sentences in detail, and memorize greek and latin roots of words. He also made us memorize various points of grammar, and make outlines of our history textbooks. All of this was rather tedious at the time but served me well when I started to study Koine in college. I did three years of that and loved it. I also did one semester of Hebrew and hated it. I graduated with a BA of Theology and then began studying Latin on my own time. I have not devoted the time and effort necessary to come very far in my Latin, which is why I'll be taking it in class starting in a few weeks.

Last winter I decided to pursue Classics but since my BA is from a Bible College the Canadian universities won't recognize it, so I have to do another BA--this time in Classics, of course, with a minor in languages. I am really excited to be on this path, and plan to go on to post-grad work later on.

I am madly in love with Italy and would like to live/study there someday--fortunately my university has a satellite program in Cortona (in Tuscany) so I could go out for a semester for credit; I just need to save up a LOT of money to do so. ah... Italy. I miss it. :(

oh yeah... aside from going to school I work two jobs, try to keep my rambunctious dog from getting too bored (we do a LOT of outdoor stuff) and run... and run and run... so far this year I have done one road marathon, one mountain marathon, and one ultra-marathon (50k), plus some shorter races. Not sure how much training time I'll have once school starts though... we'll see!

(sorry that was way more info than you needed...)

eta: oh yeah, I'm 29.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:You have shoes old enough to vote? My car (well, legally it belongs to my dad, but possession is nine tenths of something) is old enough to vote, but SHOES.
Well, I should clarify a bit. They are Birkenstocks, of the London variety (which is the whole foot clog) and I have had them resoled about 5-7 times. I usually get them resoled every couple of years (or so). I think I originally bought them in 1991. I needed dress shoes for a Jazz choir I was in, and I d those little pointy patent leather looking things. I think they were about $235 which is by far the most I've ever paid for shoes (well maybe except for my Danner boots I work in), but they've been quite an investment. It only costs about $25-30 to have them resoled and they are good to go for a couple of more years. Oh yes, they are sooooooooo comfortable too. They fit my feet like a glove ( a funny foot glove that is). Maybe sometime I'll get ambitious and post a picture of my Birks.

FWIW, they still look brand new (I take very good care of them.)

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I'm only 21. I'm about to graduate from college, where I'm majoring in English Literature and Philosophy. Classics is just my minor, and my interest in it is purely personal. My true love is English (especially Victorian!) literature. I'm strangely fascinated with languages and linguistics, and my interest in Latin was spurred by Indo-European linguistics. I've been studying Latin for little over a year now, fairly intensely, and I'm still trying to pick up Greek. In the next year I look forward to learning some Hebrew and Arabic. I'll be applying to graduate schools for English literature this winter.

ndansmith
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ndansmith »

I've been lurking on TextKit for some time without posting much, so perhaps it is time for a first introduction. I am 23 years old, which places me somewhere between Kopio's shoes and Kopio himself. Speaking o Kopio, I went to college with him and he is the one who introduced me to these forums.

I've been married since May 20 of 06. The day before that I graduated with a BA in Bible and NT Greek. I am planning on starting in at seminary here in the next couple weeks. Besides Greek I am quite interested in computing, specifically Linux and other Free Software projects. I am a PowerPC architecture tester for Gentoo Linux, and I have made contributions to Mac-on-Linux and a few of my own little programs. I am also considering writing a Greek (or any language) grammatical diagrammer.

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

I don't think I ever formally introduced myself either. I am 23 also, and still working on a B.A. Which sometimes makes me feel like an old geezer in comparison with my classmates. (It's not the age thing as much as that I'm approaching my studies from a rather different place in life.)

I'm studying German and classics (primarily Greek at the moment, although I've taken Latin as well) and would like to eventually study/live in Germany. I'm interested in languages in general, comparative literature, translation, folklore, narrative theory, and linguistics. I would be getting my degree much faster if I didn't keep getting distracted by the aforesaid interests and took more classes instead of studying on my own. It seems to be one of the disadvantages of being an autodidact. I suspect people here will understand...

In my free time I help sew costumes for a local theater group, which is fun, interesting, and gets me free tickets to their productions.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

Talmid
Textkit Member

Post by Talmid »

I don't have a picture to post, but you can visit my blog below and possibly find a photo or two of me.

I'm an old geezer at 31, in fact, a grey geezer since those stupid grey hairs started appearing last year! BA in Christian Studies (Bible emphasis), minor biblical languages. M.Div. from seminary too. At seminary I started getting bored with dry theology textbooks, so I ventured into studying classics where I've been having a lot of fun lately. In addition, the challenge has made me a better theologian I like to think.

Will I ever pursue a Ph.D. in the discipline? I hope so, but it'll have to be after I finish my military career as a chaplain. After getting the credential, I want to build my own Christian classical college, so if anyone wants a job, and IF you are a cessationist dispensationalist with a Ph.D., send me your c.v. I might have a job for you in about 20 years.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:You have shoes old enough to vote? My car (well, legally it belongs to my dad, but possession is nine tenths of something) is old enough to vote, but SHOES.

I consider myself lucky if I can use shoes for three years without them falling apart. Of course, I'm quite physically active,
The reason my shoes are still usable is not because I am not active. They were definitely better made than the criminally expensive running shoes they make now.
The only thing I use them for now is when I have to trowel a (concrete) floor because the flat soles hardly leave a print.
Throwing them out? No way. I'd frame them maybe.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Bert wrote:The reason my shoes are still usable is not because I am not active. They were definitely better made than the criminally expensive running shoes they make now.

This is off topic, but as a runner I can say with certainty that when it comes to shoes, the prices are worth the quality. I can put 300-400 miles on one pair of shoes...

of course, in Canada they are way overpriced. My shoes are $75 if I buy them online from the US, and $140 if I buy them in the store here.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

AgoNxRuS
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AgoNxRuS »

I'm beginning to feel strangely out of place...

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Hi Diane!

I too am an old leaf left on the bough. :oops:

Cheers,
Int

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Hi, all!

I'm spending too much time on my computer when I have to be working on Greek. You can, in my avatar, see my photo I took myself couple of years ago.
I have a tendency to spend more time on collecting resources than on working on them. More like a stupid book-collector than a studious.

I'm a physics teacher at a highschool, 38, taught myself classical Greek from time to time, with little progress, now working on "A Greek Boy at Home" and Modern Greek at the same time.

I'm also thinking of Latin some day when I make some real progress on Greek, and also Arabic some day, too. I hate mysteries unsolved. Thus physics, and tongues. Does that qualify me a geezer? (And is a geezer supposed to learn Ge'ez some day?)

In my signature "grok" would mean more like the original Martian meaning in the Heinlein's novel, "to drink", I drink Greek things, it circulates my brain circuit, and then it evaporates sooner or later. Modern Greek works better. I can learn it as a living language.