I'm so excited

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Are you excited for school to start?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 21

Kopio
Global Moderator

I'm so excited

Post by Kopio »

and I just can't hide it...

OK...sorry for the Pointer Sisters quote! But I am rather excited. I am all signed up for my classes this semester and I am totally stoked.

I am taking a Patristic Theology course from a new teacher at our school. Here's the best part though....He earned his Ph.D in church history from OXFORD! His dissertation was selected for a Oxford Monograph....so you know he's got his stuff down pretty good! He's also teaching the Ethics class I'm taking. I am also taking Hebrew from another new prof who recieved his Ph.D from UCLA in Semitics...I'm pretty excited to see how he is too, although he is very young (by which I mean he's just a little older than me....late 30's).

I'm also taking a course in the NT use of the OT, a course on the General Epsitles (I'm guessing I won't learn anything too specific!), a course designed to help me with my thesis called Methods of theological research. This is the first time in several years that I have been excited for school. I'm really hoping to ace a lot of classes, I need at least a 3.5 to get into a good Ph.D program, so the pressure is on.

So, my question is....are you excited for school to start? What classes are y'all taking this semester?

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

I start classes tomorrow for the first time in over six years. I'm excited about my schedule. I'll be taking a Latin class, a history seminar on the Trojan War, an archaeology seminar on Greek colonization, and a class in Sanskrit.

When I joined this forum I was working as a freelance stonemason and studying Greek independently. Now I'll be working on a Classics degree at the University of Buffalo. I owe a lot to everyone for all the help over the past couple of years. Thanks!

ndansmith
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ndansmith »

Through some sort of uncanny coincidence I am taking all the same courses as Kopio! :wink:

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I am also excited, though I've had all my classes lined up and registered since May. My classes include : stage management, jazz dance, late 19th/early 20th century dramatic literature, acting, voice, production, and astronomy. It all totals up to 24 units, which by my standards is Not Bad. One quarter I was up to 26 units, and another quarter I had 22 units on top of an extracurricular theatre show - that quarter was probably the busiest. This quarter, at least, I don't have that extracurricular commitment, so I can focus most of my energy on classes.

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

It seems I'm the only one who's not exited at all :D Differential equations, a bit of Java (at least a trimester without Visual Basic), Drawing (yuck), and electrical circuits. Guess I'll have to wait a couple more trimesters 'till I get to the interesting part. It seems you already did :P

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Yhevhe wrote:Differential equations, a bit of Java (at least a trimester without Visual Basic), Drawing (yuck), and electrical circuits.
Yhevhe, are you in engineering? What kind?
Yhevhe wrote:Guess I'll have to wait a couple more trimesters 'till I get to the interesting part.
Which parts are you looking forward to? I kind of liked all that stuff.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

edonnelly wrote:Yhevhe, are you in engineering? What kind? [...]
Which parts are you looking forward to?
Yes, I'm in Electronic Engineering. I'm looking up to the part where one finally gets to do something, not just sit in some classes that aren't related to electronics at all. Up to now I haven't touched a protoboard, but I hope that to change in January. I have done some pretty silly logical circuits before, and that's the kind of things I thought I would already have seen in class. Now of course, there are these interesting courses on robotics, hardware design, AI, microcontrollers or OSes which I'll take with pleasure in their due time , but it'll be awhile until that happens :) The Java class will be a relief from all that VB that has preceded me and will follow me in the next trimesters, and is the only one I think will enjoy a bit for now, but not as much as they do with their Sanskrit, Hebrew, theology, astronomy... I wish we had a bit of that here too :P

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Hi Yhevhe,
It seems I'm the only one who's not exited at all Differential equations, a bit of Java (at least a trimester without Visual Basic), Drawing (yuck), and electrical circuits.
Does that mean you like or hate Visual Basic? I spent a number of years using VB to create language learning software and quite enjoyed it. But then it suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth. Talk about dead languages! Has there been a sighting (à la Elvis) in Venezuela?

Cheers,
Int

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I'm excited, although I'm not sure how I will manage two jobs, three classes, and a rambunctious dog, lol.

I'm taking Latin, Italian, and Ancient World--all intro courses so it should be an easy year! :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

klewlis wrote:I'm excited, although I'm not sure how I will manage two jobs, three classes, and a rambunctious dog, lol.

I'm taking Latin, Italian, and Ancient World--all intro courses so it should be an easy year! :)
Wow, our lives sound far too much alike! Except I have a wife (as far as I understand that's still not legal in Canada!)

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Kopio wrote:Except I have a wife (as far as I understand that's still not legal in Canada!)
*snort* Reminds me of a line from A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold ... for those who don't know that book, there's a woman (Ekaterin) whose family is urging her to remarry. One of her friends is talking about how brilliant she is at designing, and that she just needs someone to help out/support her. Ekaterin replies "So you're saying I need a wife? Well, I suppose that's a little different from my family's wishes". (NOTE : This is from memory, so I would be shocked if it's verbatim. In fact, the original is probably funnier)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Kopio wrote:
klewlis wrote:I'm excited, although I'm not sure how I will manage two jobs, three classes, and a rambunctious dog, lol.

Wow, our lives sound far too much alike! Except I have a wife (as far as I understand that's still not legal in Canada!)
actually it is:
On July 20, 2005, Canada became the fourth country in the world to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide with the approval of the Civil Marriage Act. Court decisions, starting in 2003, had already legalized same-sex marriage in eight out of ten provinces and one of three territories, whose residents comprised about 90% of Canada's population. Before passage of the Act, more than 3,000 same-sex couples had already married in these areas.[2] Most legal benefits commonly associated with marriage had been extended to cohabiting same-sex couples since 1999.
(courtesy of wikipedia ;)

but um.... I don't want a wife. lol
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Interaxus wrote: Does that mean you like or hate Visual Basic? I spent a number of years using VB to create language learning software and quite enjoyed it. But then it suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth. Talk about dead languages! Has there been a sighting (à la Elvis) in Venezuela?
I'm precisely not very fond of it, I suppose if you want to make something more robust you'd go for C/C++. The university made a kind of obscure pact with Microsoft, so we've got Visual Studio and thus VB.NET is used, which is newer than pure VB.
klewlis wrote:(courtesy of wikipedia ;)
Wow, I believed Spain was the only country which had legalized it. Looking the same-sex marriage article in wikipedia I even found out that it is legal in Massachusetts! Thought the USA hadn't done anything in that area. Glad they have.

AgoNxRuS
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AgoNxRuS »

WTF is it with you people; voting yes?!

No, no no!

easternugget
Textkit Neophyte

Post by easternugget »

WTF is it with you people; voting yes?!
But when I get to take another semester of Greek and philosophy, why wouldn't I be excited?

I am starting my third year of Koine Greek (i think we are doing 2 Peter), and I also have an Ethics class, an Apologetics class, Christian Doctrine and History of Philosophy. It will be a good semester I think.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

easternugget wrote:I am starting my third year of Koine Greek (i think we are doing 2 Peter)
lol in my third year of greek we did 1 Peter. We had to know ALL of the vocabulary, diagram the entire book, and write exegetical papers. Oh how I loved that class...

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: I'm so excited

Post by Gonzalo »

Kopio wrote:and I just can't hide it...

OK...sorry for the Pointer Sisters quote! But I am rather excited. I am all signed up for my classes this semester and I am totally stoked.

I am taking a Patristic Theology course from a new teacher at our school. Here's the best part though....He earned his Ph.D in church history from OXFORD! His dissertation was selected for a Oxford Monograph....so you know he's got his stuff down pretty good! He's also teaching the Ethics class I'm taking. I am also taking Hebrew from another new prof who recieved his Ph.D from UCLA in Semitics...I'm pretty excited to see how he is too, although he is very young (by which I mean he's just a little older than me....late 30's).

I'm also taking a course in the NT use of the OT, a course on the General Epsitles (I'm guessing I won't learn anything too specific!), a course designed to help me with my thesis called Methods of theological research. This is the first time in several years that I have been excited for school. I'm really hoping to ace a lot of classes, I need at least a 3.5 to get into a good Ph.D program, so the pressure is on.

So, my question is....are you excited for school to start? What classes are y'all taking this semester?
I have observed not very rarely here people studying other subjects not concerning to Humanities. I am going to start the second year of my Scientific Bachelor (I had yesterday my 17th birthday), and it is an important year because the qualifications which one reaches this year do average with those which one gets in the exam to access to University (which is not really too difficult).

easternugget
Textkit Neophyte

Post by easternugget »

in my third year of greek we did 1 Peter
We did 1 Peter in the second semester of my second year. That was a lot of fun. We had to write an exegetical paper on 1 Peter 5:1-5. Good times.

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

I will be doing Classroom Observation (High School Latin) which is fine, 'cause I get to watch somebody else do all the work, and I'm writing a seminar paper ("Classroom Games as a Learning Aid In Language Instruction") which nobody in this world will ever read-anyway, I wouldn't. I'm also doing a couple of introductory Paralegal classes, in case I actually have to make a living, instead of being a hostess. Nicholas, please post the syallabus on the Trojan War seminar-wish I was doing that.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

so how was everyone's first week??

I love my new profs... my latin prof is very old and quiet and cute. She likens herself to piglet, lol.

The classes are good... but I'm mad at the university because they are messing me up with my transfer credits... I sent in my greek syllabi months ago at their request so that they could figure out my transfers for that. I just got it back yesterday and they have decided that my THREE YEARS of greek in college is only worth first year greek here, so they only gave me 6 credits (out of 17) and counted it as 100 level. Now they are telling me that I have too many 100 level courses and therefore my Italian doesn't count AT ALL to my degree, so I might as well drop it. :evil: And of course they had to wait until classes were started to tell me this, rather than 4 months ago when I sent in the paperwork! So frustrating... I have no intention of dropping Italian since I want to learn the language regardless... but basically everything that I'm taking this year doesn't count now. So I might see if I can challenge the second semester of Latin afterall, and get that out of the way... and talk to my Italian prof and see if there are better alternatives for learning the language (maybe community classes) instead of dishing out the money to take it at the U if it isn't going to count towards my degree. how annoying.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

klewlis wrote:so how was everyone's first week??
Well, it was pretty rough....they didn't waste any time in doling out the homework. I had 6 papers plus about 250 pages of reading due for the second week of classes! Most of the papers were only a couple of pages....but no more double space! It's all single spaced, or at best one and a half.

Other than that, classes were great...if I can stay awake in them. Several of my classes are 3 hour blocks....so by the third hour (even with breaks) I'm getting kinda rummy.

Sorry to hear about your transfer fiasco....it's so like a school to wait until it's too late to do anything about it to tell you the bad news. Sounds like a racket to me!

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

It looks like Administration is using the same practices at all Universities and Schools, no matter where. You only need patience...

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

*snort*

I wanted to get into the theatre program of a certain school. The process is weird and convoluted, but the oversimplified version is that they would not let me know whether I got into the theatre program until AFTER the date by which I had to commit myself to attending that school. Naturally, they didn't let me into the theatre program (their reason, while valid, had little to do with my suitability - but that is another discussion). However, while I committed myself to the school, I had not paid any tuition or enrolled in any classes. There is another school with a very reputable theatre program which carries out its admissions process late in the game. They do this so they can collect the students who got rejected by other theatre programs - which is smart, because there are a lot of talented theatre students who get rejected by the major theatre departments for various reasons unrelated to their ability, so they get a very talented pool. So I was able to apply to that school, audition, and get in, and that's where I attend now. As for the other school ... well, they must have figured out by now that I'm not their student since I haven't enrolled or paid any money. It is quite possible that the theatre program at my current school is even better than the one I applied to earlier, and it is cheaper (1,500$/yr versus ... oh, I don't remember the other school's tuition, but it is much higher).

I think the best way to counter the incompetence of university bureaucracies is to do research so you are well-informed, and get things done early so as to allow the maximum amount of time for mistakes. Of course, four months is plenty of time, and I don't know if you could have gotten the ball rolling any sooner.

Still, if it's only the beginning, there might be a lot of leeway for schedule changes. I would seriously want to petition somebody over this.

(I haven't started school yet. I'm trying to squeeze what I can out of my remaining summer vacation).

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

In many instances, these rules are thought out by people who have nothing to do with students, and nothing to do with teaching staff. They tend to make rules to simplify their own work, not taking into account the effect on student life, which they know nothing about. they probably have never met a single student...

Talmid
Textkit Member

Post by Talmid »

Am I excited about school starting? I guess so...I'm out of seminary now, so I have all the time I want to study classics. After my graduation from seminary last fall, I went back to college to study epic literature and Latin. I'm done with first year Latin and now doubling up to finish second year Latin in just one semester. I'm actually doing Latin via independent study, and I find this a nice arrangement so I can go at my own pace and study whatever I want to do, which, by the way, I'm reading Gildersleeve, Allan & Greenough, Tacitus, Cicero, Vergil and Ovid.