Oldest Attested Homer Text?

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Oldest Attested Homer Text?

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44779492

Notice it says that the date is still to be determined, but it's still an exciting find.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Oldest Attested Homer Text?

Post by Aetos »

Hi Barry,
I posted a translation of the original announcement on the Homeric board in case you're interested. Modern Greek is how I got started with this whole classics thing!

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Aetos wrote:Hi Barry,
I posted a translation of the original announcement on the Homeric board in case you're interested. Modern Greek is how I got started with this whole classics thing!
Very cool. At one school where I taught, the grandfather of one of our students, a Korean gentleman, spoke little English but had served in the Greek merchant marine for 7 years. My modern Greek is minimal, but we were able to carry on a conversation in the language (which people found very amusing, for some reason).
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

Apparently, the claim is that this is the oldest fragment of the Odyssey ever found in Greece, not the oldest every found anywhere, though you have to read carefully to realize that. Of course, most manuscripts of ancient writing were found in Egypt, not in Greece.
Bill Walderman