where does the accent for Ceutrones lie?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
spqr
Textkit Fan

where does the accent for Ceutrones lie?

Post by spqr »

I believe that when the last syllable is short then the syllable before that(antepenult) has the accent but in this case the antepenult is a dipthong so how does that determine where the accent lies? Thanks, spqr.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: where does the accent for Ceutrones lie?

Post by bedwere »

No, sorry. It is the length of penult that determines whether the accent falls on itself (if the penult is long) or on the antepenult (if the penult is short). The length of the antepenult is of no concern. In the case of Ceutrones, it is reasonable to assume that the penulti is long and so the accent falls on it.

See AG 1.2.4.12

spqr
Textkit Fan

Post by spqr »

I checked with Wheelock for the rules regarding accent and the the accent does fall on the penult if it is long(by nature or position). Since the o is short then the penult must be long by position. This where I am confused. In this case why is the penult long? In checking with Wheelock I am still uncertain as to whether this word is ceu-tro-nes or ceu-tron-es.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

The o in the penult is long making the syllable long, like in Cicero, ōnis. So it is Ceu-trō-nes.

spqr
Textkit Fan

Post by spqr »

My book is wrong. It does not have the macron over the o . This the second time I have encountered this kind of error in my book.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

spqr,
1. I’m guessing that in your original post you didn't mean “last” but “next to last” or “penult.” Otherwise your post was self-contradictory.
2. You asked about the diphthong. A diphthong counts as a long vowel.
3. If bedwere is right to assume the –o- is long, then the accent falls on it, as you understand. But you could try asking him why he makes that assumption.
4. As to your book, I expect it would add a macron only if the –o- were certifiably long.
5. But who knows how Caesar pronounced the word (it’s a foreign name), if indeed he did?
6. Don’t you think it would be more useful to learn the vowel quantities in more ordinary words? (Reading verse is the best way to do that.)