ἐπιδίδωμι

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

ἐπιδίδωμι

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

https://www.livescience.com/64458-ancie ... gim3nhcOFw

Fun little blog post, but wouldn't ἐπιδέδωκα in this context mean something like "rendered?" or "reported?"
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: ἐπιδίδωμι

Post by jeidsath »

I don't think that's the verb there.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68110&p=197004#p197031
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

CΟΦΟΥ ΠΑΡ ΑΝΔΡΟC ΠΡΟCΔΕΧΟΥ CΥΜΒΟΥΛΙΑΝ
ΜΗ ΠΑCΙΝ ΕΙΚΗ ΤΟΙC ΦΙΛΟΙC ΠΙCΤΕΥΕΤΑΙ

I'm wondering about μη with indicative here. LSJ s.v. μη suggests this usage is "later Greek", which I guess would be appropriate:
b. with pres. or aor. subj. in a warning or statement of fear, μὴ . . γένησθε take care you do not become, Il.5.487; μὴ . . ὑφαίνῃσιν I fear . . may prove to be weaving, Od.5.356; “αἷμα μὴ σοῖς ἐξομόρξωμαι πέπλοις” E.HF1399: in Att. Prose, to make a polite suggestion of apprehension or hesitation, perhaps, “μὴ ἀγροικότερον ᾖ τὸ ἀληθὲς εἰπεῖν” Pl.Grg.462e, cf. Tht. 188d, Arist.Pol.1291a8, al.: in later Greek the ind. is found, “μὴ ἡ ἔννοια ἡμῶν . . ἀντιλαμβάνεται” Dam.Pr.27.

The citation "Dam." is to the philospher Damascius, "v/vi A.D.".

Subjunctive ΠΙCΤΕΥΗΤΑΙ would be unmetrical.
Bill Walderman

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I posted the wrong link! Let's try this:

https://tacet.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/ ... ElaqBhqaQI
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

The handwriting on the papyrus is that of Petaus, scribe of Hormu, a village in Egypt. The text reads, ΠΕΤΑΥΣ ΚΩΜΟΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΕΥΣ ΕΠΙΔΕΔΩΚΑ, or “I Petaus, village scribe, have entered.” This line is repeated over and over, and after the fifth line, he begins to misspell it. According to J. Reed, he “eventually tires of the exercise” (7). In short, Petaus, the village scribe, was illiterate. This papyrus is one of the ways in which he practiced his signature.
Well, ΚΩΜΟΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΕΥΣ is abbreviated on every line, I see, but that's not a big deal.

Look at the D.Chr.18.18 reference in the LSJ for επιδιδωμι as dictate: γράφειν μὲν οὖν οὐ συμβουλεύω σοι αὐτῷ ἀλλ’ ἢ σφόδρα ἀραιῶς, ἐπιδιδόναι δὲ μᾶλλον. Wouldn't that be a better explanation? Petaus, the village scribe, is teaching students to write.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

On the wax tablet writing exercise, as Joel pointed out in his earlier post, the teacher simply misspelled πιστευετε. It’s imperative, hence μη. The two monostichs are mutually independent.

On the Petaus piece, επιδεδωκα is an official documentary formula: “I have submitted” i.e. I hereby submit it (the above petition, or whatever). Village scribes don’t teach students to write, when they can scarcely write themselves.

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

On the wax tablet writing exercise, as Joel pointed out in his earlier post, the teacher simply misspelled πιστευετε. It’s imperative. The two monostichs are mutually independent.
OK. I didn't read them as independent. But usually aphoristic advice like this is framed in 2nd. pers. sing. unless a specific group is being addressed.
Bill Walderman