JWW exercises, para 497, 499, 503, 504, 505, 509, 510, 511

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

JWW exercises, para 497, 499, 503, 504, 505, 509, 510, 511

Post by Koala »

next set of answer suggestions from JWW..

cordially

1 I had fine omens, O men, when offering sacrifices
2 it is now possible, for those who have been saved to proceed
or (?) it is now possible, since they have been saved, for them to proceed
3 although they feared the way, they followed
4 let us send men who will capture the heights
5 although they alone had been left behind, they were beyond the reach of those cutting down the watch/garrison
6 and he was waging war out of the Chersonese, setting forth to(wards) the Thracians who live(d) beyond the Hellespont
7 being most especially honoured at that time by Cyrus, he now tries to do us, the friends of Cyrus, evil
8 the mother, after having begged-him-off/gained-his-release, sends (?him) off again to the province
9 because of what wrong that you have suffered through me, said Cyrus, do you now plan against me?

Cyrus arrests Orontas, and calls together seven Persians from his staff to his own tent, and he ordered the Greek generals to bring the hoplites, these having been drawn up around his tent. These things they did, bringing about three thousand hoplites. He summoned Clearchus inside also (as) advisor; for this man, both by him and by the others, appears to have been most especially honoured of the Greeks.

1 the man is a friend worth-much/worthy-of-much
2 and a great and flourishing city was situated there
3 great/much was the fear of the barbarians (that they felt)
4 they began to encamp near to a large and fine park
5 he was sending Cyrus many things for his army
6 at the middle of this day’s march, was a deep trench
7 he had many of the guards behind the beasts of burden
8 in this place/here is a spring of sweet water
9 he proceeded to the river, which had a width of one plethron, and (was) full of large fish
10 he had the half of the army

[size=150]α. ὁ οἶνός ἐστι πάνυ ἡδύς β. αὐτόθι τῷ Κύρῳ ἦσαν βασίλεια καὶ παράδεισος μ/εγας γ. οἱ στρατιῶται ἐν ἐλπίσι μεγάλαις ἦσαν δ. ἐντεύθεν ἐπορεύοντο εἰς τὸ πεδίον μέγα καὶ καλόν ε. ἐν τοῦτο τὸ πεδίον κώμαι πολλαὶ ἦσαν[/size]

After the judgement of Orontas, Clearchus reported how it was conducted to his friends; for it was not a secret. He said that Cyrus began his speech as follows: “I called you, (my) men, friends, how to do-right/act-justly – both before God and before men – concerning this Orontas, after discussing (it) with you. For at first my father gave him to be-obedient-to/serve me; then having arranged, as he says by my brother, he makes war on me, having the citadel in Sardis, and warring against him, I made him stop the war against me.”

1 he encircled Miletus with his ships
2 in the/their houses were oxen and birds
3 the interpreter says that they come from the great King of Persia to Cyrus
4 there was also present a certain Spartan general on the ships
5 if the King of Persian were to encamp on the plain, the cavalry would arm
6 the interpreter came towards the altar of Artemis
7 on account of this Cyrus, called for the/his ships
8 they left behind the old men and (old) women
9 and from (the side of) the great King, arrived Tissaphernes and the brother of the King’s wife
10 did not therefore many desert the King for Cyrus, since they became enemies of each-other/to-one-another?

[size=150]α. τοῖς τῶν Ἑλλήνων στρατηγοῖς ἔπεμψε τὸν ἑρμηνέα β. διαρπάσωμεν τὴν βασιλέως χώραν γ. βασιλέα βοῦς ᾔτησαν δ. παρὰ βασιλέα μέγαν ἔσται ἡ ὁδός ε. Κῦρος γὰρ τῷ βασιλεῖ ἔπεμψε τοὺς τῶν πόλεων δασμούς[/size]

After these things, he said, “O Orontas, what wrong did I do you?” he answered that he had done nothing wrong. Again Cyrus asks, “Did you not then, the next day, as you yourself confess not being wronged against, treat my country badly?” Orontas said (yes). “Did you not then, when again you understood your own power, come to the altar of Artemis and persuade me, and again gave me pledges, and received (so) from me?” – and Orontas confessed these (were true).[face=Arial][/face]

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Only very few comments :

2. Rather the second solution, otherwise it would be τοῖς σωθεῖσιν
5. (I did not find the original sentence in Xenophon) I think it means « … having cut down the watch they went out (of their jail ?) »
6. Rather « setting forth out of the Chersonese, he was waging war against (πολεμέω with the dative) the Thracians… »
8. Yes, « him » twice

« having been drawn up » : as ταχθῆναι is an aorist infinitive passive, it is rather « and (δὲ) to draw them up »

10. « had » : « has » (present)
a. ὁ οἶνός ἐστι : ὁ οἶνος ἦν
b. ἦσαν : ἦν I would make the verb agree only with the nearest subject
d. ἐντεύθεν : ἐντεῦθεν
e. ἐν τούτῳ τῷ πεδίῳ

505 – ok

509 – ok

a. or παρὰ τοὺς ... στρατηγοὺς as JWW suggested

« power » : we could also say « weakness » (the idea is « when you understood how small your power was »)

That's all, already
χαῖρε