Ancient Greek Plays

Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Ancient Greek Plays

Post by Lukas »

I am wondering if there are a good number of ancient Greek plays on DVD and the best place to find them? I would prefer the plays either be in English or have English subtitles, since I am just a beginner. I looked for Clouds by Aristophanes on Netflix and did not find any. There was a film version of Medea, but I just finished reading it and the play is too depressing for me. I did like Alcestis. Perhaps I just need to get to my library and do some inter-library loans?
Λουκᾶς

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ancient Greek Plays

Post by seneca2008 »

Off the top of my head. Michael Cacoyannis directed Iphigenia, The Trojan women, Electra and these are available on DVD (In Greek with subtitles). Pasolini did a version of Medea with la Callas. It's compulsive viewing. (Did you read Medea in Greek? Our friend Mastronarde has written a very helpful commentary. It's not a difficult play to read and is often the first tragedy students study. ) A search on Amazon might also prove helpful? I think it is optimistic to think they would make it to Netflix.

A companion to ancient Greece and Rome on screen / edited by Arthur J. Pomeroy. (2017 John Wiley & Sons, Inc) is interesting and helpful. (But more theoretical)

The APGRD (archive of the Performance of Greek and Roman Drama) is a useful resource although it may require a little knowledge to use the database.

http://www.apgrd.ox.ac.uk
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Lukas
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Ancient Greek Plays

Post by Lukas »

I read Medea in English. It is one of the Loeb books that has three plays of Euripides: Cyclops, Alcestis, and Medea.
Λουκᾶς