JWW exercises, paragraphs 630, 631, 632

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

JWW exercises, paragraphs 630, 631, 632

Post by Koala »

suggested solutions to exercises in lesson LXVII
all corrections gratefully recieved, as always

1. He heard that the general had triremes
ὁ στρατηγὸς τριήρεις ἔχει
2. We have sent soldiers to burn the fodder
3. They say that he/they have reported to the King matters from the Greeks
τὰ παρὰ τῶν Ἑλλήνων βασιλεῖ ἀπηγγέλκασιν .. ἤ .. ἀπήγγελκεν
4. All those present have held up their hands
5. You have destroyed the land
6. When the barbarians saw that the Greeks were not marching against them, they were glad
7. In Miletus Tissaphernes perceived that the enemy were planning the same things
οἱ ἐχθροὶ τὰ αὐτὰ βουλεύονται
8. The hoplites had repulsed the cavalry
9. Therefore, if I should see you wishing something better, I would go to you
10. The enemy had pressed on with a great number and (much) uproar, up towards the mountain
11. And we hear that they have corrupted at lease one captain
ε3να γε λοχαγὸν διεφθάρκασιν
12. They perceived that the light-armed foot-soldiers had already sacked the villages
οἱ γυμνήτες ἤδη τὰς κώμας διηρπάκασιν

[size=150]α. ἡ γυνὴ πέπεικεν αὐτόν β. λέγει ὅτι πολλοὺς γυμνήτας πεπόμφασιν γ. κέκρικα ἀδικεῖν τοὺς ἄνδρας τούτους δ. ἤκουσε γὰρ τεθνηκότος Κύρου ε. ἐώρων σε κακῶς πάσχοντα[/size]

** I’m confused (yet again :? ) about this sentence ([size=150]δ.[/size]) – one grammar book says that the genitive participle
should follow [size=150]αἰσθάνομαι, ἀκούω, πυνθάνομαι[/size]
in indirect statements, and gives this as an example:

[size=150]τεθνεκότος δὲ νῦν τάλαινα πευθομαι[/size]
(But now, unhappy me, I hear that he is dead)

yet JWW 630.1 uses the accusative, which would give the answer as:
[size=150]δ. ἤκουσε γὰρ Κῦρον τεθνηκότα . . . βοήθησόν μοι[/size]

Of the enemy, there arrived into the battle nine hundred thousand, with a hundred and fifty scythed chariots;
Abrocomas, (one) of the four leaders, coming from Phoenicia, was five days too late for the battle.
Those who had deserted from the great King told this to Cyrus before the battle,
and those who they later captured from the enemy after the battle told (him) the same thing.
[face=Arial][/face][face=Arial][/face][face=Arial][/face][face=Arial][/face][face=Arial][/face]

Admirantur igitur communiter illi quidem omnia,
quae magna et praeter opinionem suam animadverterunt,
separatim autem in singulis,
si perspiciunt nec opinata quaedam bona.
- Cicero[face=Arial][/face][face=Arial][/face]

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

θάρρει

2. φησι is only singular (plural φασι), thus « he says that he has… »
6. « When the Greeks (nominative) saw that the barbarians (accusative) were not marching… Yes, it was a trap !
12. γυμνῆτες…

about sentence d. According to LSJ, τεθνεῶτος ἀκούω « I hear that he is dead » is attested in Homer but it is maybe idiomatic with this very word (or with a participle in the genitive without « subject » in the genitive expressed. I will have a look on it). But ἀκούω with the accusative and a participle is very well attested meaning « I hear that… » (= « I’ve been told that… »)

b. It is γυμνῆτας (short alpha)
d. You may frankly use the accusative. Reading the sentence in the genitive, I understand that Cyrus, though dead, says something.

ok but, as Cyrus died in the battle, I would not add « (him) »

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Re: JWW exercises, paragraphs 630, 631, 632

Post by Charlie Parker »

I am having difficulty understanding exercise 630 sentence 9: εἰ οὖν ὁρῴην ὑμᾶς ἄμεινόν τι βουλευομένους, ἔλθοιμι ἂν πρὸς ὑμᾶς. Rusty Mason in his answer key gives "So if I should see you wanting something better, I will return to you." I think that βουλευομένους is the present middle participle of βουλεύω "to take counsel, deliberate," not of βούλομαι "to wish, be willing." So I think the translation should be "So if I should see you planning something better, I would come to you." What do you think?

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: JWW exercises, paragraphs 630, 631, 632

Post by mwh »

You’re right. Looks like that answer key is very bad.