The Wizard of Oz

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
bedwere
Global Moderator

The Wizard of Oz

Post by bedwere »

Not the book, not the movie, but the comic. Beautiful art by Mel Crawford.

Page 2

Note about the Greek: since there is still no easy way to put an accent on top of a makron, I decided to omit the accent on long vowels that are taking an acute accent. For example, I write Διονῡσιος instead Διονύσιος.

The Wizard of Oz

One day a strange-looking cloud moved toward the little Kansas farm where Dorothy lived with her aunt and uncle!

Magus Ozi

Ōlim nūbes mīrābilis movēbātur ad prædiolum Kansicum, ubi Dōrothea cum avunculō māterterāque habitābat.

Ὁ μάγος Ὄζου

Πάλαι νεφέλη θαυμαστή τις ἐκῑνεῖτο πρὸς τὸ Κανσικὸν χωρίδιον, ὅπου Δωροθέα μετὰ τοῦ θείου τε καὶ τῆς θείας ᾤκει.

What is it, Aunt Em?

Oh! It’s a cyclone, heading right for our house!

Quid est illud, ō mātertera Emma?

Ō, turbo est adveniēns rectā ad domum nostram.

Τί ἐστιν ἐκεῖνο, ὦ θεία Ἔμμα;

Ὤ, πρηστήρ ἐστιὶ προσερχόμενος εὐθὺ πρὸς τὴν οἰκίαν ἡμῶν.

Dorothy was sitting on the doorstep with her little dog Toto. She wondered at the cloud and the moaning sound it made.

Dorotheā autem, sedēns in gradū jānuæ cum catellō Tōtō, nūbem gemitumque ejus mīrābātur.

Δωροθέα δὲ καθημένη ἐπὶ κλῑμακος τῆς θύρας μετὰ τοῦ κυναρίου Τώτου ἐθαύμαζεν τὴν νεφέλην τε καὶ τὸν στεναγμὸν αὐτῆς.

Quick! Get down in the cyclone cellar both of you! I’ll tend to the animals!

Properāte! Ambō dēscendite in subterrāneum. Ego autem jūmenta cūrābō.

Σπεύδετον. Ἀμφω κατάβητον εἰς τὸ ὑπόγειον. Ἐγὼ δ' ἐπιμελήσομαι τῶν κτηνῶν.

Just then uncle Henry ran past the house, with a frightened shout to aunt Em! Dorothy wondered what a cyclone would do!

Tunc avunculus Henrīcus domum currēns præteriit, ad māterteram Emmam in metū clāmāns! Dōrothea autem nōscere volēbat dē turbine quantum valēret.

Τότε μὲν ὁ θεῖος Ἑνρῖκος τρέχων παρῆλθε παρὰ τὴν οἰκίαν, τῇ θείᾳ Ἔμμῃ ἐν φόβῳ βοῶν. Δωροθέα δ' ἐβούλετο μαθεῖν περὶ τῆς δυνάμεως πρηστῆρος ὁπόση εἴη.

All right, aunt Em. As soon as I catch Toto!

Dorothy! Follow me as fast as you can!

Ō Dōrothea, sequere mē quam cito!

Sequar tē, ō mātertera Emma, postquam Tōtum cēperō.

Ὦ Δωροθέα, ἀκολούθησόν μοι ὥς τάχιστα.

Ἀκολουθήσω σοι, ὦ θεία Ἔμμα, ἐπειδὰν Τῶτον ἕλω.

Aunt Em opened the trap door to the cyclone cellar, and started down. Her voice shaking with fright as she called.

Mātertera Emma, ōstiolō subterrāneī apertō, dēscendēbat vōce tremebundā clāmāns.

Ἡ δὲ θεία Ἔμμα, ἀνοίξασα τὸ τοῦ ὑπογείου θυρίδιον, κατέβαινε φωνῇ τρεμούσῃ βοῶσα.

Dorothy, hurry!

Toto, you naughty dog! Come here!

Dōrothea, festīnā!

Tōte, ō male canis, venī hūc!

Δωροθέα, σπεῦσον.

Τῶτε, ὦ κακὲ κύον, ἐλθὲ δεῦρο.

But little Toto had become frightened too and jumped out of Dorothy’s arms! To catch him, she crawled under the bed!

Sed et Tōtellus cōnsternātus saluit ex Dōrotheæ brāchiīs. Quæ ut caperet eum sub lectum rēpēbat.

Ἀλλὰ καὶ ὁ Τωτίσκος ἐμπεπληγμένος ἐσκίρτησεν ἐκ τῶν τῆς Δωροθέας βραχιόνων. Ἡ δ' ὡς αἱρήσουσα αὐτὸν εἵρπυζεν ὑπὸ τὴν κλῑνην.
ImageImage

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: The Wizard of Oz

Post by mwh »

ad domum > recta ad d.

Ὦ > Ὤ

Can σίφων really mean a cyclone? Wouldn’t πρηστήρ do? If not, paraphrase, e.g. δῖνός τις ανέμου or ἄνεμος δεινῶς δινεύων

præteriit > currens pr.

māterteræ Emmæ > ad m.am Emmam

Similarly the Greek (where not διῆλθε: τρέχων παρῆλθε παρὰ?)

Dōrothea autem dē turbinis potestāte dubitābat. Wouldn’t that suggest she doubted its power? E.g. scire/noscere volebat de turbine quantum valeret/quantam vim haberet.

Similarly with the Gk. You mean ἠπόρει not ἠπορεῖτο, but better e.g. εβούλετο μαθεῖν περὶ τῆς δυνάμεως πρηστῆρος ὁπόση εἴη.

I’ll leave it at that. — But my eye catches Quae autem in the last sentence. Delete autem!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Thank you!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 3

Oooh! What is happening? Ka-choo!

Ki-ki!

Ō, quid fit? [sternuō!]

Ai, Ai!

Ὠ, τί γίγνεται; [πταίρω.]

Αἴ, αἴ.

Suddenly the floor tilted, this way and that! Dust boiled up through the trap door in the middle! Dorothy sneezed!

Subitō pavīmentum hūc illūc agitābātur. Pulvis vērō per ōstiolum in medium effervēscēbat.
Dōrothea ideō sternuit.

Ἐξαίφνης τὸ μὲν ἔδαφος δεῦρο κἀκεῖσε ἐσαλεύετο. Ἡ δὲ κόνις διὰ τοῦ θυριδίου εἰς μέσον ἐξεβράζετο. Διὸ ἡ Δωροθέα ἔπταρεν.

The house whirled slowly around as the cyclone carried it up, up, up into the air, above the barns and uncle Henry!

Domus autem lentē circumagēbātur, turbine eam tollente in cælum super horrea avunculumque Henrīcum!

Ἡ δ' οἰκία βραδέως ἐδινεῖτο, τοῦ πρηστῆρος ἀναφέροντος αὐτὴν εἰς τὸν οὐρανὸν ὑπὲρ τῶν ἀποθηκῶν τε καὶ τοῦ θείου Ἑνρίκου.

Don’t be afraid, Toto! I have you!

Owoo!

Nē timeās, ō Tōte. Teneō tē.

[Ululō.]

Μὴ φοβοῦ, ὦ Τῶτε. Ἔχω σε.

[Ὑλακτῶ.]

Somehow Toto slid into the open trap, but he didn’t fall far, because the air pressure of the cyclone held him up!

Tōtus autem, in ōstiolum apertum quōdammodo lāpsus, nōn multum dēcidit, quia gravis turbinis āēr eum retinēbat.

Ὁ δὲ Τῶτος, ὀλισθών πως εἰς τὸ θυρίδιον ἀνεῳγμένον, οὐ πολὺ κατερρύη, ὅτι ὁ βαρὺς τοῦ πρηστῆρος ἀὴρ ἀνεῖχεν αὐτόν.

There! you won’t fall down there again!

Ecce, iterum illāc nōn dēcidēs!

Ἰδού, οὐ μὴ πάλιν ἐκεῖσε καταρρυήσει.

When Dorothy slammed the trap door shut the howl of the fierce winds was not so loud, but the room was quite dark!

Cum Dōrothea ōstiolum occlūsisset, sævōrum fragor ventōrum dēminūtus est, habitātiō autem facta est obscūra.

Ἐπειδὴ Δωροθέα τὸ θυρίδιον κατέκλεισεν, ὁ μὲν τῶν χαλεπῶν ἀνέμων πάταγος ἠλαττώθη, ἡ δὲ δίαιτα ἐγένετο σκοτεινή.

There’s nothing to do, Toto. So we might as well go to bed!

Nōn habēmus quod faciāmus, ō Tōte. Ideō eāmus cubitum!

Οὐκ ἔχομεν τί πράξωμεν, ὦ Τῶτε. Διὸ εἰς κλῑνην ἴοιμεν ἄν.

Hour after hour passed, with no change in the strange twilight, and the gentle rocking of the house in the cyclone’s top!

Tempore autem trānseunte, nūlla fīēbat conversiō mīrī crepusculī domūsque in summō turbine lēniter pendentis.

Χρόνου δὲ προβαίνοντος, οὐκ ἐγίγνετο οὐδεμία τροπὴ τοῦ τε θαυμασίου κνέφους καὶ τῆς οἰκίας ἐπ᾽ ἄκρου τοῦ πρηστῆρος μαλακῶς αἰωρουμένης.

Ohh!

Dorothy never knew how long she slept, but she was awakened by a bump, as if the house had dropped to earth!

Ō!

Dōrothea, omnīnō nesciēns quamdiū dormīsset, sonitū vērō expergēfacta est, tanquam domus in terram dēcidisset.

Ὤ.

Δωροθέα δέ, πάντως ἀγνοοῦσα πόσον χρόνον κοιμηθείη, δούπῳ δή τινι ἀνηγέρθη, ὥσπερ εἰ ἡ οἰκία ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς κατέπεσεν.
ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 4

Oh! This isn’t Kansas! Where are we?

Rarf! Rarf!

Ō! Istud nōn est Kansia.

[Latrō.]

Ὤ. Τοῦτ' οὐκ ἔστι Κανσία.

[Ὑλακτῶ.]

Dorothy ran to the door. Outside was a country of marvelous beauty, but so strange that Dorothy caught her breath!

Deinde Dōrothea ad jānuam cucurrit. Foris vērō erat pulchritūdine terra mīra, tam autem
aliēna ut Dōrothea animam continuerit.

Εἶτα δὲ Δωροθέα ἔδραμε πρὸς τὴν θύραν. Ἔξω δὴ ἦν γῆ θαυμασία μὲν τὸ κάλλος, οὕτω δὲ ἀλλοτρία ὥστε Δωροθέαν ἀπνευστὶ ἔχειν.

Welcome, Dorothy, to the country of Munchkins, in the Land of Oz!

Wh-Where is that?

Tē salūtō, ō Dōrothea, quæ in regiōnem Homunciōnum, terram Ozī, vēnistis!

Ubi terrārum?

Ἀσπάζομαί σε, ὦ Δωροθέα, ἐληλυθυῖαν εἰς τὴν χώραν τῶν Ἀνθρωπίων, τῆν γῆν Ὄζου.

Ποῦ ποτε γῆς;

Stepping outside Dorothy saw three funny little people approaching her, with friendly smiles on their faces!

Dōrotheaque ēgressa vīdit fēstīvōs homunculōs trēs, quī ad eam benevolē arrīdentēs accēdēbant.

Καὶ Δωροθέα ἐξελθοῦσα εἶδεν ἀστεῖα ἀνθρωπάρια τρία, οἳ πρὸς αὐτὴν εὐνοϊκῶς προσγελῶντες προσῇσαν.

Who are you, please? And how did you know my name?

I know because I am a witch, the good witch of the North!

Tū quis es, ō domina? Et quōmodo scīs nōmen meum?

Sciō quia sāga sum, bona sāga septentriōnis.

Σὺ τίς εἶ, ὦ γύναι; Καὶ πῶς οἶσθα τοὔνομά μου;

Οἶδα ἐπεὶ γοῆτίς εἰμι, ἡ ἀγαθὴ γοῆτις τῶν βορείων.

The little old lady explained that there had been four witches in the land of Oz, two good and two wicked ones!

Vetula autem nārrāvit quattuor sāgās in terrā Ozī fuisse, bīnās bonās, bīnās malās.

Ἡ δὲ πρεσβύτις διηγήσατο τέσσαρας γοήτιδας ἐν γῇ Ὄζου γενέσθαι, τὼ μὲν ἀγαθά, τὼ δὲ πονηρά.

Now there is only one bad witch left. You killed the other one!

Oh, no! I didn’t!

Nunc autem ūna mala sāga relicta est. Tū enim alteram interfēcistī!

Minimē ego!

Νῦν δὲ μία πονηρὰ γοῆτις καταλέλειπται. Σὺ γὰρ ἀπέκτεινας θάτεραν.

Οὐδαμῶς ἔγωγε.

Dorothy was shocked at the good witch’s words. She protested that she had never killed anybody and never wanted to!

Dōrothea autem, bonæ sāgæ sermōne commōta, obtestāta est sē nec ūllum umquam interfēcisse nec umquam velle.

Δωροθέα δέ, τῷ τῆς ἀγαθῆς γοήτιδος λόγῳ ταραχθεῖσα, ἐπεμαρτύρατο [ῡ] οὔτε οὐδένα ποτὲ ἀποκτεῖναι, οὔτε βούλεσθαί ποτε.

Well, your house killed her when it landed! Those are the feet of the wicked witch of the east!

Ēsto, tua domus cum in terram dēscendit interfēcit eam. Illī enim sunt pedēs malæ sāgæ orientis.

Εἶεν, ἡ σή γε οἰκία εἰς τὴν γῆν καταβᾶσα ἀπέκτεινεν αὐτήν. Ἐκείνω γάρ ἐστον τὼ πόδε τῆς πονηρᾶς γοήτιδος τῶν ἀνατολῶν.

She was even more shocked when she turned and saw two silver slippers sticking out from under the house!

Et magis commōta est cum conversa duās soleās argenteās ē sub domō exstantēs vīdisset.

Καὶ μᾶλλον ἐταράχθη ἐπεὶ ἐπιστραφεῖσα εἶδεν ἐμβάδε ἀργυρᾶ ἐξ ὑπὸ τῇ οἰκίᾳ ἐξεχούσα.
ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 5

We are all grateful that she is dead! What can we do to help you, in return, Dorothy?

Oh, Oh, please help me get home to Kansas!

Omnēs grātiās agimus quia mortua est. Quōmodo ergō vicissim adjuvābimus tē, ō Dōrothea?

Ō, ō, amābō, ut in Kansiam redeam mē adjuvā.

Πάντες χάριν ἴσμεν ὅτι τέθνηκεν. Πῶς οὖν ἀντωφελήσομέν σε, ὦ Δωροθέα;

Ὤ, ὤ, δέομαι σου, πρὸς τὸ εἰς Κανσίαν ἐπανελθεῖν με ὠφέλησον.

Dorothy was suddenly very, very homesick, and she blurted out the first thought that came into her mind!

Dōrotheaque, subitō patriæ dēsīderiō capta, ēructāvit quod prīmum in mentem sibi vēnit.

Καὶ Δωροθέα, πόθῳ τῆς πατρίδος ληφθεῖσα, ἐξηρεύξατο τὸ πρῶτον ἐπὶ νοῦν αὐτῇ ἐληλυθός.

Hmm! Let me think. Of course, I can’t send you back to Kansas.

Sine ut cōnsīderem. Manifēstum saltem tē in Kansiam ā mē remittī nōn posse.

Ἄφες με λογίζεσθαι. Φαίνεταί γε τοῦτο, ὅτι οὐ δύναμαι ἀναπέμψαι σε εἰς τὴν Κανσίαν.

The good witch spun her cap on her nose, and explained that she had no power outside of the land of Oz, but…

Et bona sāga, petasō super nāsum versō, nārrāvit ipsam quidem potestāte extrā terram Ozī carēre, ...

Ἡ δ' ἀγαθὴ γοῆτις, περιαγαγοῦσα τὸν πέτασον ἐπὶ τῆς ῥινός, διηγήσατο αὐτὴ μὲν δεῖσθαι τῆς ἔξω τῆς γῆς Ὄζου ἐξουσίας, ...

Go to the Emerald City, and ask the great wizard of Oz!

Yes!

Vādēns Smaragdōpolin, posce ā magnō magō Ozī!

Prōrsus!

Πορευθεῖσα εἰς τὴν Σμαραγδούπολιν, αἴτησον τὸν μέγαν μάγον Ὄζου.

Πάνυ γε.

If anybody had power to send Dorothy back to Kansas, that would be the wizard of Oz, if he felt like it!

... sī quis autem Dōrotheam in Kansiam remittere posset, eum esse magum Ozī, sī vērō vellet.

... εἴ τις δὲ Δωροθέαν εἰς Κανσίαν ἀναπέμψαι δύναιτο, τοῦτον ἂν εἶναι τὸν μάγον Ὄζου, εἰ δὴ βούλοιτο.

But where?

That yellow brick highway will take you to the Emerald City and Oz!

Sēd quā?

Illa flāva via pūblica latericia addūcet tē Smaragdōpolin et ad Ozum.

Ἀλλὰ πῇ;

Ἐκεινὴ ἡ ξανθὴ πλινθίνη λεωφόρος οἴσει σε ἐπὶ τήν τε Σπαραγδούπολιν καὶ Ὄζον.

Dorothy had not noticed the road paved with yellow brick, until the good witch of the north pointed it out to her!

Certē quidem via lateribus flāvīs strāta Dōrotheam fefellit dum bona sāga septentriōnis illam huic mōnstrāvit.

Ἡ μέντοι πλίνθοις ξανθαῖς ἐστρωμένη ὁδὸς ἔλαθε Δωροθέν ἕως ἡ ἀγαθὴ γοῆτις τῶν βορείων ἐκείνην αὐτῇ ἔδειξεν.

And now I will leave you with a parting gift, Dorothy!

Nunc autem dāns tibi dōnum discēdō ā tē, ō Dōrothea!

Νῦν δὲ δοῦσά σοι δῶρον ἀπαλλάσσομαί σου, ὦ Δωροθέα.

Swiftly the good witch leaned forward and planted a kiss that made Dorothy tingle pleasantly, through and through.

Cito autem incumbēns, bona sāga dedit ōsculum quō Dōrothea per sē ipsam suāviter formīcāret.

Ταχὺ δὲ ἐπικειμένη ἡ ἀγαθὴ γοῆτις ἔδωκε φίλημα ὥστε Δωροθέαν δι' ἑαυτῆς ἡδέως μυρμηκίζειν.

My kiss protects from hurt and harm! Good-bye!

Good-bye! Good-bye! Take the silver shoes!

Ōsculum meum cūstōdit tē ab omnī malō. Valē!

Valē! Valē! Sūme calceāmenta argentea!

Τὸ φίλημά μου φυλάσσει σε ἀπὸ παντὸς κακοῦ. Ὑγίαινε.

Ὑγίαινε, ὑγίαινε, λαβὲ τἀργυρᾶ ὑποδήματα.

Whirling around like a top, the good witch faded quickly into thin air, which, somehow, was just what Dorothy had expected!

Deinde, velut turbo sē volūtāns, bona sāga cito "in tenuem ex oculīs ēvānuit auram" [Verg. A. 9.658]. Quod vērō Dōrothea quōdammodo exspectābat.

Ἔπειτα, ὡσανεὶ βέμβριξ δινουμένη, ἡ ἀγαθὴ γοῆτις ταχὺ "λιάσθη ἐς πνοιὰς ἀνέμων" [Ὁμήρου Ὀδύσσεια, δ', ωλη']. Τοῦτο δὴ Δωροθέα πως ἀνέμενεν.

ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 6

Why, there’s nothing but the shoes left!

Nam nihil relinquitur nisi calceāmenta!

Οὐδὲν γὰρ καταλείπεται εἰ μὴ τὰ ὑποδήματα.

Dorothy looked around for the wicked witch’s silver shoes and found them empty! Their owner had dried up and blown away!

Dōrothea autem, calceāmentīs argenteīs malæ sāgæ requīsītīs, invēnit ea vacua.
Possestrīx enim eorum ārefacta exsufflātaque erat.

Δωροθέα δὲ ζητήσασα τὰ τῆς πονηρᾶς γοήτιδος ἀργυρᾶ ὑποδήματα εὗρεν αὐτὰ κενὰ ὄντα. Ἡ γὰρ αὐτὰ σχοῦσα ἦν ἐξήρασμένη τε καὶ ἀναπεφῡσημένη.

They fit me perfectly!

Aptē ad mē conveniunt!

Εὖ ἁρμόζει μοι.

After trying on the silver shoes, Dorothy decided that they would be better for a long trip than her old worn ones!

Dōrotheaque, calceāmentīs argenteīs subligātīs, dēcrēvit ea ad longum iter faciendum meliōra esse suīs veteribus contrītīs.

Καὶ Δωροθέα ὑποδήσασα τἀργυρᾶ ὑποδήματα ἔκρῑνεν αὐτὰ εἰς τὸ πολὺ πορεύεσθαι ἀμείνω εἶναι τῶν ἑαυτῆς παλαιῶν τετριμμένων.

I’d like to know how far it is to the Emerald City, wouldn’t you Toto?

Wuff!

Scīre velim quam longē sit in Smaragdōpolin. Et tū, Tōte?

[Latrō.]

Βουλοίμην ἄν εἰδέναι πόση ἡ ὁδὸς εἰς Σμαραγδούπολιν. Καὶ σύ, Τῶτε;

[Ὑλακτῶ.]

Dorothy packed a lunch in a basket, and started out, wearing her very best blue-and-white checked dress!

Dōrothea igitur, cibō in cistam collēctō, pulcherrimam cæruleīs albīsque quadrātīs vestem gerēns, profecta est.

Δωροθέα οὖν, συσκευασαμένη μὲν σῖτον ἐν κίστῃ, φοροῦσα δὲ τὸ κάλλιστον ἱμάτιον [ῑμ] κυανῆ τε καὶ λευκὰ ἔχον τετράγωνα, ὥρμησεν.

Hello! Could you help me get down?

What?

Salvē, potesne mē ad dēscendendum adjuvāre?

Quid?

Χαῖρε, ἦ δύνασαι πρὸς τὸ καταβῆναί με ὠφελεῖν;

Τί;

She had walked for a mile or more, when she heard a soft voice calling to her. She looked up and saw a scarecrow!

Cumque ambulāvisset mīlle passuum sīve longius, audīvit vōcem lēnem vocantem eam.
Oculīs ideō allātīs vīdit terriculum.

Καὶ, βαδίσασα στάδια ὀκτὼ ἢ πορρωτέρω, ἤκουσε φωνῆς λεπτῆς τινος καλούσης αὐτήν. Ἀναβλέψασα οὖν εἶδεν φόβητρον.

I thought I heard you speak! But you are only a scarecrow!

Of course! But I need some help.

Arbitrābar mē audīvisse ē tē verbum. Tū autem nihil nisi terriculum est!

Scīlicet! Tamen auxiliī egeō.

ᾬμην ἀκοῦσαί σου λόγον. Σὺ δ' οὐδὲν πλὴν φόβητρον εἶ.

Φαίνεταί γε τοῦτο. Ὅμως δὲ δέομαι βοηθείας.

The scarecrow said he would be much more comfortable if Dorothy would take away the pole that held him up!

Terriculum autem ait sē multō melius habēre, sī Dōrothea auferret hastam eum sustinentem.

Τὸ δὲ φόβητρον ἔφη πολλῷ κάλλιον ἔχειν ἄν, εἰ Δωροθέα ἀφαιρῇ τὸ δόρυ αὐτὸν ἀνέχον.

ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 7

Thank you! There’s only one other thing I need to make me completely happy, brains!

Oh?

Tibi grātiās agō! Ūnō adhūc opus est mihi ut ab omnī parte sim beātus: cerebrō!

Ō?

Χάριν σοι ἔχω. Ἑνὸς δ' ἔτι δέομαι ὥστε τὰ πάντα εὐδαίμων εἶναι · ἐγκεφάλου.

Ὤ;

At first Dorothy was so amazed to see a scarecrow stand up and hear him talk, that she hardly realized what he was saying!

Prīmum quidem Dōrothea, cum vīdisset terriculum ērēctum loquēnsque, ita mīrāta est
ut modo nōn percēperit quæ ab eō dīcerentur.

Τὸ μὲν πρῶτον Δωροθέα, ἰδοῦσα φόβητρον ἀνεστός τε καὶ λαλοῦν, οὕτως ἐθαύμασεν ὥστε ὅσον οὐκ ᾐσθάνετο τῶν ὑπ' αὐτοῦ λεγομένων.

You said you needed brains?

Yes! When they made me they filled my head with straw!

Dīxistīne cerebrō opus tibi esse?

Dīxī! Nam cum mē faciebant, implēvērunt caput meum stipulā.

Ἆρ' εἴρηκας ἐγκεφάλου δεῖσθαι;

Εἴρηκα. Ὅτε γὰρ ἐποίουν με, ἐπλήρωσαν τὴν κεφαλήν μου καλάμῃ.

The scarecrow explained that he never would know anything unless he could find some real brains to put into his head!

Terriculum autem ēnārrāvit sē numquam ūllam rem cognitūrum esse, nisi invēnisset cerebrum quoddam vērum in caput suum īnserendum.

Τὸ δὲ φόβητρον ἐξηγήσατο οὔποτε ἂν μέλλειν γιγνώσκειν τι, εἰ μὴ εὕροι ἐγκέφαλόν τινα ἀληθινὸν ὡς τῇ κεφαλῃ αὐτοῦ ἐμβληθησόμενον.

I have an idea! You see, I am going to the Emerald City…

Cōnsilium habeō! Ecce, vādō Smaragdōpolin...

Γνώμην ἔχω. Ἴδε, πορεύομαι εἰς Σμαραγδούπολιν...

Dorothy had a sudden, wonderful thought: perhaps the Wizard of Oz could give the scarecrow some real brains!

Subitō autem Dōrothea cōgitāvit rem mīram: forsan enim Magum Ozī datūrum terriculō cerebrum quoddam vērum.

Ἐξαίφνης δὲ Δωροθέα ἐλογίσατο θαυμαστόν τι · τάχ' ἂν γὰρ τὸν μάγον Ὄζου διδόναι τῷ φοβήτρῳ ἐγκέφαλόν τινα ἀληθινόν.

Mmmh!

Why, that sounded like, like someone groaning!

Heu!

Nam illa vōx similis eī gementis.

Αἴ.

Ἐκείνη γὰρ ἡ φωνὴ ὁμοία τῇ στένοντός τινος.

The scarecrow was delighted with Dorothy’s idea, and walked along, until a strange moan came out of the forest!

Terriculum autem, Dōrotheæ cōnsiliō lætātum, gradiēbātur cum eā dōnec gemitus īnsolitus ē silvā exaudītus est.

Τὸ δὲ φόβητρον, τῇ Δωροθέας γνώμῃ εὐφρανθές, ἔβαινε σὺν αὐτῇ ἕως στεναγμὸς ἀηθής τις ἐκ τῆς ὕλης [ῡ] ἐξηκούσθη.

Oh! A tin woodman! Was it you that groaned?

Yes! Please oil my joints!

Ō! Lignātor stanneus! An tū gemuistī?

Ego vērō. Amābō, unge articulōs meōs!

Ὤ. Ξυλεὺς κασσιτέρινος. Ἆρα σὺ ἐστέναξας;

Ἐγὼ δή. Δέομαί σου, ἄλειψον τὰ ἄρθρα μου.

The tin woodman stood motionless, except for his jaws, which moved just a tiny bit, with a creaking noise!

Lignātor stanneus stābat immōtus, præter māxillārum, quæ modo nōn movēbantur sed crepitābant.

Ὁ δὲ κασσιτέρινος ξυλεὺς ἑστήκει ἀκίνητος [ῑ], πλὴν τῶν γναθῶν ὅσον οὐ κῑνουμένων ἀλλὰ ψοφουσῶν.

You poor thing! They’re all rusty!

Ō miselle! Omnēs sunt rōbīginōsī!

Ὦ τλῆμον. Πάντα ἐστὶν ἰώδη.

Dorothy found the tin woodman’s oilcan not far way, and oiled all his joints till he could move them freely.

Dōrothea igitur, lignātōris stanneī oleāriō quod haud procul jacēbat inventō, ūnxit omnēs articulōs ejus quoad ille potuit eōs bene movēre.

Δωροθέα οὖν, εὑροῦσα τὴν τοῦ κασσιτερίνου ξυλέως λήκυθον οὐ μακρὰν κειμένην, ἤλειψε πάντα τὰ ἄρθρα αὐτοῦ μέχρις οὗ ἐκεῖνος ἐδυνήθη εὖ κῑνεῖν αὐτά.

ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 8

Thanks! Oh, thanks! Now I need only one thing to make me completely happy.

Tibi grātiās plūrimum habeō. Ūnō adhūc opus est mihi ut ab omnī parte sim beātus.

Χάριν πολλήν σοι ἔχω. Ἑνὸς δ' ἔτι δέομαι ὥστε τὰ πάντα εὐδαίμων εἶναι.

When she had finished, the tin woodman danced a jig without any of his joints so much as squeaking! He had only one complaint!

Postquam illa cessāvit, lignātor stanneus saltātiōnem vērō fēcit, nūllō strīdōre ab ūllō articulō ēmissō, ūnum autem petiit.

Ἐπεὶ ἐκείνη ἐπαύσατο, ὁ κασσιτέρινος ξυλεὺς ὄρχησιν μὲν ἐποιήσατο, οὐδενὸς ἄρθρου τριγμὸν ἕνα ἀφιέντος, ἓν δ' ᾐτήσατο.

When the tinsmith made my chest, he forgot to put in a real heart.

Oh! I wonder...

Stannātor, cum thōrācem meum faceret, oblītus est cor vērum īnserere.

Ō! Volutō...

Ὁ κασσιτερουργός, τὸν θώρακά μου ποιῶν, ἐπελάθετο καρδίαν ἀληθινὴν ἐμβάλλειν.

Ὤ. Ἐνθῡμοῦμαι...

He said the wicked witch had caused him to cut himself time after time until his whole body was replaced with tin!

Malam enim sāgam, dixit, fēcisse ut ipse iterum atque iterum sē secāret quoad tōtum corpus in stannum mūtātum esset.

Τὴν γὰρ πονηρὰν γοήτιδα, εἶπεν, αἰτίαν γενέσθαι τοῦ αὐτὸς αὖθις καὶ μάλα τέμνεσθαι μέχρις οὗ ὅλον τὸ σῶμα εἰς κασσίτερον μεταβάλοι.

You see, the scarecrow and I are going to ask Oz for help! Why don’t you?

Ēn, ego et terriculum īmus ad auxilium ab Ozō petendum! Quid tū nōn īs?

Ἰδού, ἐγὼ καὶ τὸ φόβητρον πορευόμεθα τοῦ βοήθειαν παρὰ Ὄζου αἰτῆσαι. Πῶς σὺ οὔ;

The tin woodman thought Dorothy’s idea was splendid. He said that until he had a heart he could never fall in love.

Lignātor stanneus, arbitrātus cōnsilium Dōrotheæ optimum esse, dīxit sē nōn prius amātūrum esse quam cor suscēpisset.

Ὁ δὲ κασσιτέρινος ξυλεὺς, νομίσας τὴν τῆς Δωροθέας γνώμην βελτίστην εἶναι, εἶπεν οὐ μὴ ἐρασθήσεσθαι πρὶν καρδίαν λάβοι.

Roarr!

[Rugiō]

[ὠρύομαι]

Eek

Heu!

Οἴ.

They had not gone far through the forest, when a big lion bounded in front of them, with a terrible roar!

Cum haud procul per silvam perrēxissent, leō magnus terribiliter rugiēns ante eōs exsiluit.

Ἐπειδὴ οὐ μακρὰν διὰ τῆς ὕλης [ῡ] ἐβάδισαν, λέων μέγας καὶ δεινῶς ὠρυόμενος ἐξεπήδησε πρὸ αὐτῶν.

Grr owr!

[Rugiō]

[ὠρύομαι]

With a blow of his paw, the lion sent the poor scarecrow flying! Luckily the scarecrow had no bones to break!

Et leō, pede percutiēns, ēmīsit miserum terriculum! Fēlīciter accīdit nūllum os quod frangī possit terriculō esse!

Καὶ ὁ λέων, τῷ ποδὶ πλήξας, ἀνῆκε τὸ ἄθλιον φόβητρον. Καλῶς δὲ συνέβη οὐδὲν ὀστοῦν ῥηκτὸν τῷ φοβήτρῳ εἶναι.

Grr raugh!

[Rugiō]

[ὠρύομαι]

Row! Row! Row!

[Latrō.]

[Ὑλακτῶ.]

Next, he sent the tin woodman sprawling. But his claws only slid off the tin without leaving even a scratch!

Deinceps dēmīsit lignātōrem stanneum. Unguēs autem ejus ē stannō lāpsæ nē rāsērunt quidem.

Μετὰ ταῦτα καθῆκε τὸν κασσιτέρινον ξυλέα. Οἱ δ’ ὄνυχες αὐτοῦ ἐκ τοῦ κασσιτέρου ὀλισθήσαντες οὐδ' ἄρα γ' ἔξυσαν.

ImageImage

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

'Tibi grātiās plūrimum habeō." Really?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

mwh wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:48 am 'Tibi grātiās plūrimum habeō." Really?
Found in phrase book. It did look suspicious. I'll do a search, and see what pops up, if anything.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I found this:

Augustine, Saint. Epistulae. Selections. [ August. section 3 letter 36 ]
Gratias ago plurimum quod me litteris tuis exhilarare dignatus es et certum facere de salute vestra.

Maybe gratias plurimas won't raise eyebrows.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 9

Stop! Don’t you dare hurt Toto!

Bow, wow, wow!

Brave little Toto then rushed forward to defend his mistress, and the lion opened his huge mouth as if to bite!

Cessā! Nōlī audēre mordēre Tōtum!

[Latrō.]

Deinde bonus Tōtellus irruit ad eram dēfendendam, leō autem aperuit magnum os quasi morsūrus.

Παῦε. Μὴ τολμήσῃς δάκνειν Τῶτον.

[Ὑλακτῶ.]

Ἔπειτα ὁ μὲν ἀγαθὸς Τωτίσκος ἐφωρμησεν ὡς τῇ δεσποίνῃ ἀμυνῶν, ὁ δὲ λέων ἀνέῳξε
τὸ μέγα στόμα ὥσπερ δηξόμενος.

You big coward!

Umff!

Slap!

Dorothy couldn’t stand that! Forgetting her own danger, she slapped the lion so hard that he saw stars and squeaked with surprise!

Ō tū ignāvus et timidus!

Ohē!

Alapa

Neque potuit Dōrothea istud tolerāre. Oblīta enim perīculī tam gravem alapam leōnī dūxit, ut ipse vidēns astra mīrātus strīdit.

Ὦ σὺ δειλὸς καὶ κακός.

Ὤ.

Ῥάπισμα

Οὐδ' ἐδυνήθη Δωροθέα τοῦτο ἀνέχεσθαι. Ἐπιλαθομένη γὰρ τοῦ κινδύνου οὕτως ἔπληξε τὸν Λέοντα ὥστε αὐτὸς ὁρῶν τοὺς ἀστέρας καὶ θαυμάζων ἔθρισεν.

Oh! You are a coward! What makes you so?

I was born that way (Sob!)!

Ō. Tū timidus es! Quid tālem tē facit?

Tālis nātus sum! [Singultō!]

Ὤ. Σὺ δειλὸς εἶ. Τί τοιοῦτόν σε ποιεῖ;

Τοιοῦτος ἐγενόμην. [Λύζω.]

The lion admitted, between sobs, that he acted fierce only to scare people, but really he was more scared than they!

Et Leō singultāns fassus est sē atrōciter agere tantum ad terrendōs hominēs, sed magis ipsum quam illōs terrērī.

Καὶ ὁ Λέων λύζων ὡμολόγησεν ὠμῶς πράσσειν τοῦ τοὺς ἀνθρώπους φοβεῖν, ἀλλὰ μᾶλλον αὐτὸς ἢ ἐκείνους φοβεῖσθαι.

If only I knew where to get some courage! (Sob!) But it’s no use (Wahh!)!

Hmm! Perhaps the wizard of Oz!

Utinam scīrem ubi sūmerem audāciam quamdam! [Singultō!] Sed nihil prōdest, heu mihi!

Mmm. Forsan magus Ozī!

Εἶθε ᾔδειν ὅπου λαμβάνειν θάρσος τι. [Λύζω.] Ἀλλ' οὐδὲν ὄφελός ἐστιν, οἴμοι.

Μμμ. Τάχ' ἂν ὁ μάγος Ὄζου.

Do you really think he might give me some courage?

It’s worth asking him, anyhow!

Itane cēnsēs eum audāciam mihi datūrum esse?

Saltem operæ pretium est ab eō petere.

Οὐκ ἄρα γε οἴει αὐτὸν θάρσος μοι δώσειν;

Ἄξιόν γέ ἐστι αἰτῆσαι αὐτόν.

The cowardly lion dried his tears and became hopeful. He apologized to the scarecrow and the woodman, and they went on!

Ideō leō timidus, dētersīs sibi lacrimīs, spērābat. Qui vērō terriculō lignātōrīque veniam petīvit, omnēs autem prōcessērunt.

Ὁ οὖν δειλὸς λέων ἀπομαξάμενος τὰ δάκρυα ἤλπιζεν. Καὶ ὁ μὲν ᾐτήσατο συγγνώμην τοῦ φοβήτρου τε καὶ τοῦ ξυλέως, πάντες δὲ προύβησαν.

ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 10

Oh, dear! What shall we ever do now?

Ēcastor! Quidnam nunc faciēmus?

Νὴ τὼ θεώ. Τί ποτε νῦν ποιήσωμεν;

Several miles farther on they came to a river so wide and so swift that all of their hopes seemed lost!

Cumque longum iter fēcissent, pervēnērunt ad fluvium tam lātum et celerem ut omnīs spēs vīsa sit eīs perīvisse.

Μακρὰν δὲ πορευθέντες, ἀφίκοντο εἰς ποταμὸν οὕτως εὐρὺν καὶ ταχὺν ὥστε πάσας ἐλπίδας δοκεῖν αὐτοῖς ἀπολωλέναι.

What are you doing?

Watch and you will see!

Quid agis?

Spectā et vidēbis!

Τί πράττεις;

Θεῶ καὶ ὄψει.

Only the tin woodman appeared not to worry. He began chopping down the tall trees which grew on the riverbank!

Sōlum lignātor stanneus nōn vidēbātur gravārī. Sed dēcidēbat altās arborēs quæ secundum flūmen crēscēbant.

Μόνον δ' ὁ κασσιτερινὸς ξυλεὺς οὐκ ἐφαίνετο ἄχθεσθαι. Ἀλλὰ κατέκοπτε τὰ ὑψηλὰ δένδρα τὰ παρὰ τὸν ποταμὸν φυόμενα.

Hurray! A raft!

He trimmed off the branches and cut the trees into logs, from which he made a raft big enough to hold them all!

Euax! Ratis!

Cumque rāmōs amputāsset atque arborēs in tigna secāsset, ex ipsīs tantam ratem fēcit quæ eōs omnēs cēperit.

Εὖγε. Σχεδία.

Καὶ ἀποκόψας μὲν τοὺς κλάδους, ταμὼν δὲ τὰ δένδρα εἰς δοκούς, ἐξ αὐτῶν τοσαύτην σχεδίαν ἐποίησεν ὅσαν δέχεσθαι αὐτοὺς πάντας.

Bow! Wow!

[Latrō.]

[Ὑλακτῶ.]

The raft was so big and heavy they couldn’t move it until Dororthy tied the lion’s tail to it with one of her hairribbons!

Ratis autem tantæ magnitūdinis et tantī ponderis erat ut nōn prius eam movēre potuerint quam Dōrothea ūnā tæniolā caudam leōnis ad eam ligāverit.

Ἡ δὲ σχεδία εἶχε τοσοῦτο μέγεθος καὶ τοσοῦτο βάρος ὥστε οὐκ ἐδυνήθησαν αὐτὴν κῑνεῖν πρὶν Δωροθέα ἑνὶ ταινιδίῳ ἔδησε τὴν τοῦ λέοντος οὐρὰν πρὸς αὐτήν.

The woodman had cut long poles, with which they pushed the raft out into the middle of the river’s swift current!

Cum lignātor longās hastās secāsset, ipsīs ratem in medium flūmen quod vēlōciter fluēbat impulērunt.

Τοῦ δὲ ξυλέως μακρὰ δόρη ταμόντος, αὐτοῖς ἐπήγαγον τὴν σχεδίαν εἰς μέσον τὸν ποταμὸν τὸν ταχέως ῥέοντα.

Oh! I can’t touch the bottom!

We’re spinning around!

Papæ, nōn attingō fundum!

In orbem agimur!

Βαβαί, οὐχ ἅπτομαι τοῦ ἐδάφους.

Κύκλῳ φερόμεθα.

But there they found themselves in trouble, for the current whirled them downstream as fast as a horse could run!

Illīc autem in perīcula incīdērunt. Vīs enim aquārum tam celeriter eōs secundō flūmine rotābat quam equus curreret.

Ἐκεῖ δ' εἰς κίνδυνον ἐνέβησαν. Ἡ γὰρ δύναμις τῶν ὑδάτων οὕτω τάχεως ἐδίνευεν αὐτοὺς κατὰ τὸν ποταμὸν ὥσπερ ἵππος τις τρέχοι ἄν.

ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 11

I suppose I’ve got to do it! Woodman, take hold of my tail!

Eh? You mean it?

Opīnor mihi agendum. Ō lignātor, sūme caudam meam!

Quid? Num vīs?

Οἴομαί γε Οἴομαί γε πρακτέον μοι. Ὦ ξυλεῦ, λαβὲ τὴν ἐμὴν οὐράν.
ι. Ὦ ξυλεῦ, λαβὲ τὴν ἐμὴν οὐράν.

Τί; Μῶν βούλει;

The cowardly lion shivered, as if he were cold, and spoke in a shaking voice only the tin woodman understood.

Leō autem timidus, quasi propter frīgus horrēns, vōce locūtus est tremulā quam sōlus lignātor stanneus intellēxit.

Ὁ δὲ δειλὸς λέων, ὡς διὰ τὸ ψῦχος φρίσσων, φωνῇ ἐλάλησε τρομώδει ἣν μόνος ὁ κασσιτερινὸς ξυλεὺς συνῆκεν.

Hold on and I’ll try to tow you all!

Oh!

Hærēte. Cōnābor attrahere vōs!

Ō!

Ἔχεσθε. Πειράσομαι [ᾱ] δ' ἐφελκύσαι ὑμᾶς [ῡ].

Ὤ.

The lion shivered harder, and slipped overboard into the swift water. Dorothy thought he was very brave!

Magisque horrēns, leō ā rate in celerem aquam dēsiluit. Dōrothea autem fortissimum eum exīstimāvit!

Καὶ μᾶλλον φρίσσων ὁ μὲν λέων κατεπήδησεν ἀπὸ τῆς σχεδίας εἰς τὸ ταχὺ ὕδωρ. Δωροθέα δ' ἡγήσατο αὐτὸν ἄριστον.

You made it, you made it!

The lion’s powerful strokes finally brought raft and all safely to the other side, but it was a close call!

Euge, euge!

Ideō leō validīs ictibus dēnique trāxit ratem ūnā cum sociīs trāns fretum, vix autem effūgērunt.

Εὖγ᾽, εὖγε.

Ὁ μὲν οὖν λέων πληγαῖς βιαίοις τέλος ἤνεγκε τὴν σχεδίαν αὐτοῖς τοῖς ἑταίροις εἰς τὸ πέραν, μόλις δ' ἐξέφυγον.

Tir-o-lir O-lay! I’m a happy scarecrow today!

Iō, Iō, beātum ego terriculum!

Ἰώ, Ιώ, φόβητρόν εἰμι εὐτυχές.

Soon they were walking back upstream along a riverbank thick with gorgeous poppies, acres and acres of poppies!

Posteā ambulābant in adversum flūmen secundum dēnsam magnificīs papāveribus rīpam, nesciō quotēnōrum jūgerum.

Ὕστερον δ' ἔβαινον ἀνὰ ποταμὸν παρὰ ὄχθην μήκωσι μεγαλοπρεπέσι δασεῖαν, οὐκ οἶδα πόσων πλέθρων.

Ohhm-humm! How strong those poppies smell!

Ahh-humm!

[Ōscitō.] Quam graviter olent illa papāvera!

[Ōscitō.]

[Χασμῶμαι.] Ὡς βαρέως ὄζουσιν ἐκεῖναι αἱ μήκωνες.

[Χασμῶμαι.]

None of them knew that the odor of acres of poppies can put a person to sleep, but they soon learned it!

Nēmō quidem ex eīs sciēbat tot papāverum odōrem somnum adferre posse, mox autem cognōvērunt.

Οὐδεὶς μὲν αὐτῶν ᾔδει τὴν τοσούτων μηκώνων ὀσμὴν εἰς ὕπνον τρέψαι δυναμένην, αὐτίκα δ' ἐπύθοντο.

What can we do? If we leave them here, they may never wake up!

Quid faciēmus? Sī enim nōs eōs hīc relinquāmus, istī numquam expergīscantur!

Τί ποιήσωμεν; Εἰ γὰρ ἡμεῖς αὐτοὺς ἐνταῦθα καταλείποιμεν, οὗτοι οὔποτε ἂν ἐγείροιντο.

Having no lungs to breathe with, the scarecrow and the tin woodman were not affected, but they worried about their friends!

Cum pulmōnibus ad spīrandum carērent, neque terriculum neque lignātor stanneus īnfirmātī sunt, sed dē amīcīs angēbantur.

Δεόμενοι δὲ πνευμόνων τοῦ πνεῖν, οὔτε τὸ φόβητρον οὔθ' ὁ κασσιτερινὸς ξυλεὺς ἠσθένησαν, ἀλλ' ἐπὶ τοῖς φίλοις ἐλῡποῦντο.

ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 12

He’s too heavy!

Gravior est.

Βαρύτερός ἐστιν.

The scarecrow and the tin woodman made a “chair” to carry Dorothy and Toto, but they could do nothing for the lion!

Ideōque terriculum et lignātor stanneus fēcērunt quasi gestātōrium ut Dōrotheam Tōtumque gestārent, sed prō leōne nōn potūērunt facere quicquam.

Τὸ δ' οὖν φόβητρον καὶ ὁ κασσιτερινὸς ξυλεὺς ἐποιήσαν ὡς φορεῖόν τι τοῦ φέρειν Δωροθέαν τε καὶ Τῶτον, ἀλλ' ὑπὲρ τοῦ λέοντος οὐκ ἐδυνήθησαν ποιεῖν οὐδέν.

Scarecrow! See that fierce wildcat…

...chasing a poor, little mouse! Do something!

Ō terriculum, vidē illum ferum fēlem marem...

...sectantem miserum mūsculum! Succurre!

Ὦ φόβητρον, ἴδε ἐκεῖνον τὸν ἄγριον αἴλουρον...

... διώκοντα ἄθλιον μυΐδιον. Βοήθησον.

Once away from the poppies, Dorothy and Toto woke up and then the tin woodman pointed excitedly!

Dōrothea Tōtusque, cum ā papāveribus āfuissent, experrēctī sunt. Lignātor autem stanneus commōtus indicāvit.

Δωροθέα μέν τε καὶ Τῶτος, ἀποσχόντες τῶν μηκώνων, ἐγέρθησαν. Ὁ δὲ κασσιτερινὸς ξυλεὺς θῡμούμενος ἔδειξεν.

Go on, you bad cat! Get out!

Phttt!

Αbī, fēles nequam! Dēcēde!

[Sībilo.]

Ἄπιθι, αἴλουρε πονηρέ. Ἔκστηθι.

[Σῡρίζω.]

The tin woodman bounded forward, swinging his axe so that it frightened the wildcat, and the mouse ran straight past him!

Lignātorque stanneus sīc asciam vibrāns īnsilīvit ut fēlem marem terruerit. Mūs autem rēctā prætercucurrit eum.

Καὶ ὁ μὲν κασσιτερινὸς ξυλεὺς οὕτω σείων τὴν ἀξίνην ἐπεπήδησεν ὥστε φοβῆσαι τὸν αἴλουρον. Ὁ δὲ μῦς εὐθὺ παρέδραμεν αὐτόν.

Oh! Are you all right?

Yes, thanks to you kind people! I am the queen of all the mice!

Ō, bellēne tē habēs?

Bene mihi est, beneficiō vestrō, ō amīcī. Rēgīna sum omnium mūrum!

Ὤ, ἦ καλῶς ἔχεις;

Καλῶς ἔχω, χάριν ὀφείλουσα ὑμῖν [ῡ], ὦ φίλοι. Βασίλισσά εἰμι πάντων τῶν μύων [ῡ].

The little mouse wore a tiny crown on her head. She said that many of her subjects were close by!

Mūsculus autem corōllam in capite habēbat. Dīxitque multōs ē cīvibus suīs prope esse.

Τὸ δὲ μυΐδιον εἶχε στεφανίσκον ἐπὶ τῆς κεφάλης. Καὶ εἶπε πολλοὺς τῶν ὑπ' αὐτῷ πλήσιον εἶναι.

You saved my life! Is there anything my people can do?

Oh, yes, your majesty! The lion….

Vītam mihi servāstis! Estne quid populus meus faciat...?

Maximē, ō rēgīna! Leō enim....

Ἐσώσατέ μοι τὸν βίον. Ἆρ' ἔστι τί ὁ λαός μου ποιήσῃ..;

Πάνυ γε, ὦ βασίλισσα. Ὁ γὰρ λέων...

Dorothy told the queen of mice that their friend the cowardly lion would die unless he were rescued promptly!

Deinde Dōrothea rēgīnæ mūrum nārrāvit amīcum eōrum leōnem timidum moritūrum esse, nisi quam prīmum servārētur.

Ἔπειτα Δωροθέα εἶπε τῇ τῶν μύων [ῡ] βασιλίσσῃ ὅτι ὁ φίλος αὐτῶν ὁ δειλὸς λέων ἀποθνῄσκοι ἄν, εἰ μὴ αὐτίκα σῴζοιτο.

But how?

I know how!

The tin woodman then told the queen to have her subjects each bring a long piece of string and to hurry!

Quī vērō?

Ego sciō!

Lignātor autem jussit rēgīnam trādere cīvibus imperium ut quisque festīnāns longum fūniculum afferret.

Πῶς δή;

Ἐγᾦδα

Ὁ δὲ ξυλεὺς ἐκέλευσε τὴν βασίλισσαν τοῖς ὑπ' αὐτῇ παραγγεῖλαι ὅπως ἕκαστος σπεύδων παρέξει μακρὰν μήρινθόν τινα.
ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 13

What are you going to use those trees for?

Watch and see!

Ad quid ūtēris eīs arboribus?

Spectā et vidēbis!

Πρὸς τί χρήσῃ ἐκείνοις τοῖς δένδροις;

Θεῶ καὶ ὄψει.

When the mice had gone to look for string, the tin woodman chopped down some more trees, and cut them into logs!

Cum mūrēs ad quærendum fūniculum abīssent, lignātor stanneus aliās arborēs dēcīdit atque eās in tigna secāvit.

Ἐπεὶ οἱ μύες ὡς μήρινθον ζητήσοντες ἀπῆλθον, ὁ κασσιτερινὸς ξυλεὺς κατακόψας ἄλλα δένδρα τινὰ ἔταμεν αὐτὰ εἰς δοκούς.

Oh! Aren’t you clever with your axe!

By the time the first mice returned with their pieces of string, the woodman had split boards and spokes and made a cart!

Ō, nōnne asciā sollers es!

Cum prīmī mūrēs cum fūniculīs redīrent, tum lignātor, tabulīs tībiīsque fissīs, plaustrum fēcerat.

Ὤ, πῶς οὐ δεινὸς εἶ τὴν ἀξίνην.

Ὅτε οἱ πρῶτοι μύες ἐπανῄεσαν ἔχοντες τὰς μηρίνθους, τότε ὁ ξυλεὺς σχίσας σανίδας τε καὶ κνήμας ἐπεποιήκει ἅμαξαν.

When all the mice returned, they made a string harness, and pulled the cart through the poppies to the sleeping lion!

Cum omnēs mūrēs revertissent, jugō ē fūniculīs factō, plaustrum per papāvera ad leōnem dormientem trāxērunt.

Πάντες δ' οἱ μύες ὑποστραφέντες, ζεύγους ἐκ τῶν μηρίνθων ποιηθέντος, εἵλκυσαν διὰ τῶν μηκώνων τὴν ἅμαξαν παρὰ τὸν καθεύδοντα λέοντα.

Oof!
Ugh!
Then, with some difficulty, the scarecrow and the tin woodman pushed and pried until they loaded the lion on!

Vah!
Heu!
Posteā terriculum lignātorque stanneus cum labōre diū pepulērunt quoad leōnem sustulērunt.

Φεῦ.
Ὤμοι.
Ἔπειτα δὲ τό τε φόβητρον καὶ ὁ κασσιτέρινος ξυλεὺς πόνον ἔχοντες ἔωσαν πολὺν χρόνον ἔστ' ἐπῆραν τὸν λέοντα.

Then, although the load was heavy, the mice pulled with all their might, and the others helped push the cart to safety!

Postrēmō, etsī onus erat grave, mūrēs quidem omnibus vīribus trāxērunt, cēterī autem
adjūvērunt ut plaustrum in tūtum pellerētur.

Τέλος δέ, εἰ καὶ τὸ φορτίον ἦν βαρύ, οἱ μὲν μύες ἀνὰ κράτος εἵλκυσαν, οἱ δ' ἄλλοι
ἐβοήθησαν ἵνα ὤσειαν ἐπʼ ἀσφαλὲς τὴν ἅμαξαν.

We just don’t know how to thank your majesty!

We shall see you again!

Quōmodo ergō grātiam tibi repōnēmus, ō rēgīna?

Obviam vōbīs iterum fīēmus.

Πῶς οὖν ἀντιχαρισώμεθά σοι, ὦ βασίλισσα;

Αὖθις ἀντιάσομεν ὑμᾶς. [ῡ]

The queen of the mice assured Dorothy that if ever she needed help again, all she would need to do was to call!

Rēgīna autem mūrum Dōrotheæ prōmīsit, sī unquam rursus auxiliī egēret, modo opus esse eam vocāre.

Ἡ δὲ βασίλισσα τῶν μύων ὑπέσχετο Δωροθέᾳ, εἴπερ ποτὲ πάλιν δέοιτο βοηθείας, μόνον δεῖν ἂν αὐτὴν καλέσαι.
ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 14

Toward sunset, following the yellow paved road, they topped a hill to see a lovely green glow above shining towers!

Circā occāsum sōlis, cum iter per strātam viam flāvam facerent, collem ascendērunt ut vīderint jūcundum viridemque splendōrem lūcentem super turrēs.

Ἀμφὶ δ' ἡλίου δύσιν, πορευόμενοι τὴν ξανθὴν ἐστρωμένην ὁδὸν, λόφον ἀνέβησαν ὥστε εἶδον χαρίεσσαν καὶ χλωρὴν αὐγὴν ἐπιλάμπουσαν πύργους.

And there before their eyes, in all its splendor, was the beautiful emerald city!

Stop! What is your business?

Et ecce in cōnspectū eōrum nitidissima et pulcherrima Smeragdōpolis!

Sistite! Quid hīc negōtiī est vōbīs?

Καὶ ἰδοὺ ἐν ὄψει αὐτῶν ἡ λαμπροτάτη καλλίστη τε Σμαραγδούπολις.

Ἐπίσχετε. Τὸ ὑμέτερον [ῡ] τί ἐστι πρᾶγμα;

They kept on to the city gate and there they were stopped! Dorothy explained that they wanted to see the great Oz!

Cum ad portās vēnissent, coāctī sunt. Dōrothea autem dīxit eōs Ozum magnum vidēre velle.

Προσελθόντες μὲν πρὸς τὰς πύλας, ἐπαύσθησαν. Δωροθέα δ' ἔφη αὐτοὺς βούλεσθαι τὸν μέγαν Ὄζον ἰδεῖν.

I can take you to his palace, but first you must put on these green spectacles! Turn around!

Licet mihi vōs ad rēgiam ejus dūcere, prīmō autem oculāria viridia hæ induere dēbētis! Convertiminī!

Ἔξεστι μέν μοι ὑμᾶς [ῡ] πρὸς τὰ βασίλεια αὐτοῦ ἄγειν, πρῶτον δ' ὀφείλετε τάδε τὰ χλωρὰ δίοπτρα ἐνδῦναι. Ἐπιστράφητε.

Out of the green box at his side the guardian of the gates took out a pair of spectacles for each of the party.

Ideō ē viride juxtā sē arcā portīs cūstōs pār oculārium ūnīcuique sociōrum sūmit.

Ἐξ οὖν τῆς χλωρᾶς παρ' αὑτῷ κῑβωτοῦ ὁ ἐν ταῖς πύλαις φύλαξ ἔλαβε ζεύγος διόπτρων ἑκάστῳ τῶν ἑταίρων.

You must not remove these until you leave the city! By order of Oz!

Nōn dēpōnētis ista dum ē urbe discēdētis! Nam Ozus jussit!

Οὐ μὴ καταθήσεσθε ταῦτα ἕως ἂν ἐκ τῆς πόλεως ἀπαλλάγητε. Ὄζος γὰρ κεκέλευκεν.

There were spectacles of every size, and they fastened with a tiny lock! Through them everything looked green!

Erant vērō oculāria quæ fībulīs adfīgēbantur omnimoda, per quæ omnia erant viridia vīsū.

Ἦν δὴ δίοπτρα παντοῖα περονίοις προσπερονώμενα. Διὰ δὲ τούτων ἅπαντα ἦν χλωρὰ ἰδεῖν.

Even the faces of the people in the Emerald City looked green, as Dorothy and her friends walked through the streets!

Dōrotheā amīcīsque ejus per vīcōs gradientibus, etiam faciēs Smaragdopolītānōrum erant viridia vīsū.

Δωροθέας τε καὶ τῶν φίλων αὐτῆς διὰ τῶν ῥῡμῶν βαινόντων, καὶ τὰ τῶν Σμαραγδουπολίτων [ῑ] πρόσωπα ἦν χλωρὰ ἰδεῖν.

ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 15

Strangers to see the great Oz!

Step inside!

Peregrīnī aditum ad Ozum magnum rogantēs!

Ingrediminī!

Ξένοι δεόμενοι προσαγωγῆς πρὸς τὸν μέγαν Ὄζον.

Εἰσέλθετε.

When they reached the palace, a soldier said that he would take their message, for the great Oz was very busy!

Cum ad rēgiam pervēnissent, mīles dīxit sē eōrum nūntium acceptūrum esse. Nam Ozum magnum occupātissimum esse.

Ἐπειδὴ πρὸς τὰ βασίλεια ἀφίκοντο, στρατιώτης τις ἔφη τῆς αὐτῶν ἀγγελίας ἀκούσεσθαι. Τὸν γὰρ μέγαν Ὄζον ἐν μῡρίαις εἶναι ἀσχολίαις.

You all will wait here!

Omnēs vōs hīc manēte!

Πάντες ὑμεῖς [ῡ] αὐτοῦ μένετε.

The soldier made them wipe their feet on a green doormat, and then he led them into a green furnished waiting room!

Deinde mīles, cum eōs peditergiō viridī pedēs tergere coēgisset, ad ātrium viride ōrnātum dūxit.

Ἔπειτα ὁ στρατιώτης ἀναγκάσας αὐτοὺς ποδομάκτρῳ χλωρῷ σμήχειν τοὺς πόδας ἤγαγεν εἰς πρόθυρον χλωρὸν κεκοσμημένον.

The great Oz will see you tomorrow!

Crās Ozus magnus aditum vōbīs dabit.

Αὔριον ὁ μέγας Ὄζος δώσει ὑμῖν [ῡ] προσαγωγήν.

Before long he returned, with a pretty lady, dressed in green, who said that they might stay overnight in the palace!

Quī brevī tempore rediit ūnā cum virgine bellā viride indūtā, quæ dīxit illōs in rēgiā pernoctāre posse.

Ὁ δὲ δι᾽ ὀλίγου ἐπανῆλθεν ἅμα κομψῇ κόρῃ τινὶ χλωρὸν ἀμπεχομένῃ, ἥπερ εἶπεν ὅτι ἐξείη ἐκείνοις ἐν τοῖς βασιλείοις νυκτερεῦσαι.

This room will be yours tonight, Dorothy!

It’s lovely!

Hāc noctū cubiculum hoc tuum erit, ō Dōrothea!

Quam fēstīvum!

Τῇ ἐπιούσῃ νυκτὶ ὅδε ὁ κοιτὼν σὸς ἔσται, ὦ Δωροθέα.

Ὡς χαρίεις.

The young lady took Dorothy up a green staircase and into a large, bright bedroom all furnished richly in green!

Virgō autem Dōrotheam super scālās viridēs addūxit in cubiculum magnum et clārum et viride bene ōrnātum.

Ἡ δὲ κόρη ἀνήγογεν Δωροθέαν ἐπὶ κλίμακα [ῑ] χλωρὸν εἰς κοιτῶνα μέγαν καὶ λαμπρὸν καὶ χλωρὸν εὖ κεκοσμημένον.

Ding aling a ling!

Dorothy slept well that night, and in the morning a bell waked her to see her breakfast table appear beside the bed!

Tinnītus

Ιllā vērō nocte Dōrothea bene quiēvit, māne autem tintinnābulum eam excitāvit ut mēnsulam cum jentāculō apud lectum appārēre vīderit.

Κωδωνισμός

Ἐκείνῃ μὲν τῇ νυκτὶ Δωροθέα ἡδέως ἀνεπαύσατο, πρωῒ δὲ κωδώνιόν τι ἤγειρεν αὐτὴν ὥστε εἶδεν τραπέζιον ἔχον τὸ ἀκρᾱτισμα πρὸς τῇ κλῑνῃ φαινόμενον.

Good morning, Dorothy!

After a delicious breakfast, Dorothy put on a pretty green silk dress that was hanging on a chair!
Then the door opened!

Salvē, ō Dōrothea!

Et cum Dōrothea suāviter jentāsset, vestem sēricam, viridem decōramque, quæ ē sellā suspendēbātur, induit. Deinde ōstium apertum est.

Χαῖρε, ὦ Δωροθέα.

Καὶ Δωροθέα ἡδέως ἀκρᾱτισμένη ἐνεδύσατο ἐσθῆτα σηρικὸν, χλωρὸν καλόν τε τὸν ἐξ ἕδρας κρεμάμενον. Ἔπειτα δ' ἡ θύρα ἀνεῴχθη.
ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 16

There! We’re just in time!

Bong

As the lady was finishing Dorothy’s bow, a musical gong rang out, the signal that Oz was ready to see Dorothy.

Ecce, in tempore!

Sonitus

Dum virgō vinculum Dōrotheæ perficit, discus æreus signum resonāvit, quod Ozus ad audiendam Dōrotheam prōmptus esset.

Ἰδού, ἐν καιρῷ.

Ἦχος

Τῆς δὲ κόρης τὸν Δωροθέας δεσμὸν ἐπιτελούσης, δίσκος χαλκοῦς ἀντήχησε σημεῖον ὅτι Ὄζος ἀκοῦσαι Δωροθέας ἕτομοις εἴη.

She was ushered into an enormous room, that glowed with soft green light, and smelled of the most wonderful perfume!

Quæ inducta est in aulam immēnsam, lūcem viridem lenemque lūcentem atque olentem odōrem suāvissimum.

Ἡ δ' εἰσήχθη εἰς αὐλὴν ὑπερμεγέθη, τὴν φῶς χλωρὸν μαλακόν τε λάμπουσαν καὶ ὄζουσαν ὀσμῆς ἡδίστης.

I am Oz! Where did you get your silver shoes?

As Dorothy slowly advanced toward the huge person seated on the green throne, he spoke in a clear, pleasant voice.

Ego sum Ozus! Unde calceāmenta argentea asportāstī?

Dum Dōrothea ad maximī corporis hominem viride in soliō sedentem lentē prōcēdit,
ille clārā jūcundāque vōce loquēbātur.

Ἐγὼ Ὄζος εἰμί. Ποῖ τἀργυρᾶ ὑποδήματα ἐξήνεγκας;

Δωροθέας δὲ ὡς τὸν ἄνθρωπον ἔχοντα σῶμα μέγιστον καὶ ἐπὶ τοῦ χλωροῦ θρόνου καθήμενον προβαινούσης, ἐκεῖνος ἔλεγε φωνῇ ὀξείᾳ ἡδείᾳ τε.

The shoes used to..

Quite calmly, Dorothy told how she got the shoes and how the good witch of the north had protected her with a kiss.

Calceāmenta erant...

Lēniter vērō Dōrothea nārrāvit quōmodo ipsa calceāmenta suscēpisset, bona autem sāga septentriōnis ōsculō eam cūstōdīsset.

Τὰ ὑποδήματα ἦν...

Ἡσυχῇ δὴ Δωροθέα διηγήσατο πῶς αὐτὴ μὲν ἐδέξατο τὰ ὑποδήματα ἡ δ' ἀγαθὴ γοῆτις τῶν βορείων φιλήματι ἐφύλαξεν αὐτήν.

Oh, please, great Oz, can’t you send me back home to Kansas?

I can, but…

Amābō tē, ō magne Oze, nōnne potes mē in Kansiam remittere?

Possum, sed...

Δέομαί σου, ὦ μεγάλε Ὄζε, ἆρα οὐ δύνασαί με εἰς τὴν Κανσίαν ἀναπέμψαι;

Δύναμαι, ἀλλὰ...

In solemn tones Oz answered that before he would help her, Dorothy must kill the wicked witch of the west.

No! Oh, no! I don’t want to kill anybody!

Ozus autem graviter loquēns respondit, antequam ipse succursūrus esset, opus esse malam sāgam occidentis ā Dōrotheā interficī.

Nēquāquam! Nōlō interficere quemquam!

Ὁ δ' Ὄζος σεμνῶς λέγων ἀπεκρίνατο [ῑ] ὅτι πρὶν αὐτὸς βοηθήσειεν, δέοι Δωρόθεαν ἀποκτεῖναι τὴν πονηρὰν γοήτιδα τῶν δυσμῶν.

Μηδαμῶς. Οὐ θέλω ἀποκτεῖναι οὐδένα.

That is my final word!

Desperately, Dorothy explained that the death of the other wicked witch was an accident! But Oz wouldn’t listen!

Quod dīxī, dīxī!

Dōrothea quidem, animō commōta, indicābat alteram malam sāgam cāsū mortuam esse! Ozus autem nōn auscultābat.

Ὃ εἴρηκα, εἴρηκα.

Δωροθέα μὲν θῡμουμένη ἐγνώριζεν θατέραν πονερὰν γοήτιδα ἀπὸ τύχης ἀποθανεῖν. Ὁ δ' Ὄζος οὐκ ἠκροᾶτο.
Image[Image

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 17

Then you won’t (sob!) help me?

Not till the wicked witch is dead!

Nōnne ergō [singultō] mihi succurrēs?

Nōn antequam mala sāga moriātur.

Οὔκουν [λύζω] βοηθήσεις μοι;

Οὐ πρὶν ἂν ἡ πονηρὰ γοῆτις ἀποθάνῃ.

Dorothy couldn’t keep back her tears, as she left the throne room! She wouldn’t kill anybody knowingly, if she never got back to Kansas!

Et Dōrothea ex aulā ēgrediēns nōn potuit lacrimās continēre! Sē enim, ait, scientem nōn occīsūram quemquam, etiamsī numquam in Kansiam reversūra esset.

Καὶ Δωροθέα ἐκ τῆς αὐλῆς ἐξερχομένη οὐκ ἐδυνήθη κατέχειν τὰ δάκρυα. Οὐ γάρ, ἔφη, ἑκοῦσα ἀποκτενεῖν οὐδένα, ἐὰν καὶ μήποτε εἰς τὴν Κανσίαν κατέλθῃ.

Did Oz help any of you?

No!

Later, when Dorothy rejoined her friends she knew at a glance that they too must have been unsuccessful with Oz!

Succurritne Ozus alicui vestrum?

Minimē!

Deinceps, cum Dōrothea ad amīcōs rediisset, statim cognōvit necessāriō et eōs optātīs ab Ozō excidisse.

Ἆρα ὁ Ὄζος ἐβοήθησέ τινι ὑμῶν; [ῡ]

Οὐχί.

Ὕστερον δ' ἐπεὶ Δωροθέα πρὸς τοὺς φίλους ἐπανῆλθεν, εὐθὺς ᾔδει ἀνάγκῃ καὶ αὐτοὺς παρὰ τοῦ Ὄζου ἀτυχήσαντας.

He told each of us the same thing!

The lion was angry and disgusted because Oz had asked them to do something he was afraid to do himself!

Ūnīcuique nostrum idem dīxit!

Leō autem īrāscēbātur et stomachābātur quia Ozus, quod ipse formīdāret, id ut facerent postulāsset.

Ἑκάστῳ ἡμῶν ταὐτ' εἶπεν.

Ὁ δὲ λέων ὠργίζετο καὶ ἠγανάκτει ὅτι Ὄζος, ὅ τι αὐτὸς φοβοῖτο, τοῦτο αὐτοὺς ποιῆσαι αἰτήσειεν.

There’s only one thing to do!

He declared that he needed courage so badly that he would go alone if he had to, and destroy the wicked witch!

Atquī ūnum faciendum!

Et sīc sē audāciā indigēre, dīxit, ut sōlus itūrus, sī opus esset, et malam sāgam perditūrus esset.

Ἀλλὰ μὴν ἓν πρακτέον.

Καὶ οὕτω θάρσους χρείαν ἔχειν, ἔφη, ὥστε μόνος ἂν ἰὼν, εἰ δέοι, ἀπολέσειν τὴν πονηρὰν γοήτιδα.

I haven’t the heart to kill even a wicked witch, but..

The tin woodman said he would go, and the scarecrow said he didn;’t have the brains to thing of anything better!

Deest mihi cor, ut et sāgam malam occīdam, sed..

Lignātor quidem stanneus ait sē itūrum esse, terriculum autem negāvit sibi cerebrum esse ut melius cōnsilium caperet.

Ὀὐκ ἔχω καρδίαν ὥστε ἀποκτεῖναι καὶ γοήτιδα πονηράν, ἀλλὰ..

Ὁ μὲν κασσιτέρινος ξυλεὺς εἶπεν ὅτι ἴοι, τὸ δὲ φόβητρον οὐκ ἔφη ἑαυτῷ ἐγκέφαλον εἶναι ὥστε βέλτιον τι βουλεύσασθαι.

We’ll all go together then!

Dorothy couldn’t bear to be parted from her friends, so she agreed, adding that perhaps the wicked witch might die of old age, or something!

Ūnā ergō omnēs ībimus!

Dōrothea autem, quæ sē ab amīcīs relinquī nōn sustinēbat, cōnsēnsit dīcēns forsan malam sāgam extrēmā ætāte moritūram esse vel nesciō quōmodo.

Ἅμα οὖν πάντες ἴμεν.

Δωροθέα δ', οὐχ ὑπομένουσα ἀπαλλάξασθαι τῶν φίλων, ὡμολόγησε λέγουσα ὅτι τάχ᾽ ἄν ἡ πονηρὰ γοῆτις ἐσχάτῳ γήρᾳ ἀποθάνοι ἢ ἁμῶς γέ πως.
ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 18

When they found out that the way to reach the wicked witch was simply to walk west, Dorothy and her friends set out.

Cum viam ad malam sāgam talem esse comperissent ut in occāsum pedēs īrent, Dōrothea amīcīque profectī sunt.

Ἐπεὶ τὴν ὡς τὴν πονηρὰν γοήτιδα ὁδὸν τοιαύτην εἶναι πύθοιντο ὥστε πρὸς ἑσπέραν βαδίζειν, Δωροθέα τε καὶ οἱ φίλοι ἀφώρμησαν.

I wonder how far we will have to go?

All afternoon they walked toward the westering sun through endless fields of flowers and grew very tired.

Libenter sciam quātenus prōgredī dēbeāmus.

Cum autem tōtō tempore pōmerīdiānō in occāsum sōlis per campōs īnfīnītōs flōribusque ōrnātōs prōcessissent, valdē fatīgātī sunt.

Ἡδέως ἂν μάθοιμι πόση ἡμῖν ἡ ὁδός.

Πάσην [ᾱ] δὲ τὴν δείλην πρὸς ἡλίου δυσμὰς διὰ ἀγρῶν ἀπείρων ἠνθισμένων τε βαδίσαντες, μάλ’ ἔκαμον.

At last Dorothy and Toto and the cowardly lion lay down for a nap, the scarecrow and the tin woodman didn’t need any sleep.

Strangers! I see them sleeping!

Postrēmō Dōrothea et Tōtus et leō timidus dēcumbēbant ut quiētī sē trāderent, terriculum autem lignātorque stanneus somnō nōn indigēbant.

Peregrīnōs! Prōspiciō eōs dormientēs!

Τὸ δὲ τελευταῖον Δωροθέα μὲν καὶ Τῶτος καὶ ὁ δειλὸς λέων κατἐκεῖντο ὡς ἀναπαυσόμενοι, τὸ δὲ φόβητρον καὶ ὁ κασσιτερινὸς ξυλεὺς οὐκ ἐδέοντο ὕπνου.

Ξένους, προορῶ αὐτοὺς καθεύδοντας.

Now the wicked witch of the west had only one eye, but it could see for miles and miles with her powerful telescope!

kreep!

Mala vērō sāga occidentis lusca erat, oculus autem ejus, potentis grātiā telescopiī, cōnspectum longissimē ferēbat.

[Sībilō]

Ἡ μὲν πονηρὰ γοῆτις τῶν δυσμῶν ἑτερόφθαλμος ἦν, ἡ δ' ὄψις αὐτῆς χάριν τοῦ ἰσχῡροῦ τηλεσκοπίου ἐπὶ πλεῖστον ἀφικνεῖτο.

[Σῡρίζω]

When she saw Dorothy’s party afar off, she flew into a rage, and blew upon a magic silver whistle that hung on her neck.

Quæ, cum Dōrotheam sociōsque ejus ē longinquō vīdisset, īrāta, fistulam magicam et argenteam quæ ā collō suō pendēbat īnflāvit.

Καὶ ἐκείνη, ἀπὸ μακρόθεν ἰδοῦσα Δωροθέαν τε καὶ τοὺς ἑταίρους αὐτῆς καὶ ὀργισθεῖσα, ἐφύσησεν [ῡ] αὐλὸν μαγικὸν ἀργυροῦν τε τὸ ἐκ τοῦ τραχήλου αὐτῆς κρεμάμενον.

Go and get rid of those strangers!

In answer to the silver whistle a pack of great fierce wolves came running to obey the wicked witch’s orders!

Īte et illōs peregrīnōs dē mediō tollite!

Cum fistula argentea sonum ēdidisset, lupī magnī et ferī cursū pervēnērunt ut malæ sāgæ obœdīrent.

Πορευθέντες ἀπαλλάξατε ἐκείνους τοὺς ξένους.

Τοῦ δὲ ἀργυροῦ αὐλοῦ φθεγξαμένου, λύκοι μεγάλοι καὶ ἄγριοι δρόμῳ ἀφίκοντο ὡς τῇ πονηρᾷ γοήτιδι πεισόμενοι.
ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 19

Dorothy! Wake up! Wake up, lion!

The tin woodman saw the wolf pack first and the scarecrow shook Dorothy and the cowardly lion awake, which was not easy!

Dōrothea, expergīscere! Expergīscere, ō leō!

Lignātor stanneus prīmus lupōs vīdit, terriculum autem, Dōrotheam leōnemque timidum excitāvit, quod haud facile fuit.

Δωροθέα, ἐγέρθητι. Ἐγέρθητι, ὦ λέον.

Ὁ μὲν κασσιτερινὸς ξυλεὺς πρῶτος εἶδε τοὺς λύκους, τὸ δὲ φόβητρον ἔγειρε Δωροθέαν τε καὶ τὸν δειλὸν λέοντα. Τοῦτο δ' οὐ ῥᾴδιον.

This is my fight!

M-mine, too, I’m afraid!

Bark, bark!

Dē hōc mihi pugnandum'st!

Timeō nē et mihi!

[Latrō.]

Περὶ τούτου μοι μαχητέον.

Δέδοικα μὴ καὶ ἔμοιγε.

[Ὑλακτῶ.]

When the cowardly lion saw the fierce beasts charging at them, he trembled all over, but did his best to act brave!

Cum leō timidus ferās in eōs incurrentēs vīdisset, contremiscēbat quidem τōtō corpore, sēdulō autem fēcit ut fortiter sē gereret.

Ὁ δὲ δειλὸς λέων ἰδὼν τὰ θήρια ἐπ' αὐτοὺς ἐπιτρέχοντα, ἔτρεμε μὲν ὅλον τὸ σῶμα, ἔπραξε δ' ἐπιμελῶς ὥστε ἀγαθὸν παρέχειν αὑτόν.

All at once the pack surrounded them! But the woodman knocked one down with every blow, and the lion did even better!

Īlicō vērō lupī circumdedērunt eōs. Lignātor singulīs ictibus ūnum dēiciēbat, leō autem et melius agēbat.

Ἐν μὲν δὴ ταὐτῷ οἱ λύκοι περιέσχον αὐτούς. Ὁ δὲ ξυλεὺς καθ' ἑκάστην πληγὴν κατέβαλλεν ἕνα, ὁ δὲ λέων καὶ ἄμεινον ἔπρασσεν.

Kreep, kreep!

[Sībilō, sībilō]

[Σῡρίζω, σῡρίζω]

When the wicked witch saw all the wolves running away, she was furious! She raised her magic whistle and blew twice!

Mala autem sāga, cum lupōs fugientēs vīdisset, incēpit furere et, fistulā magicā sublātā, bis īnflāvit.

Ἡ δὲ πονηρὰ γοῆτις, ἰδοῦσα τοὺς λύκους φεύγοντας, ἤρξατο μαίνεσθαι καί, ἄρασα [ᾱρ] τὸν μαγικὸν αὐλόν, δὶς ἐφύσησεν [ῡ].

Bzz, bzz! What is your wish?

Fly and sting those strangers!

[Bombus, bombus.] Quid cupis?

Āvolāte et pungite peregrīnōs illōs!

[Βόμβος, βόμβος.] Τί χρῄζεις;

Ἀποπτόμεναι κεντεῖτε ἐκείνους τοὺς ξένους.

Immediately a swarm of large black bees appeared. The wicked witch was so angry that she could hardly give them orders.

Statim apium magnārum nigrārumque exāmen appāruit. Mala autem sāga sīc īrāta erat ut mandāta eīs dare modo nōn posset.

Αὐτίκα μὲν μελισσῶν μεγάλων μελάνων τε ἑσμός τις ὤφθη. Ἡ δὲ πονερὰ γοῆτις οὕτως ὀργιζομένη ἦν ὥστε ὅσον οὐκ ἐδύνατο ἐντολὰς αὐταῖς δοῦναι.
ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 20

Quick, pull out my straw!

Bees! Oh, dear! What shall we do?

Αgite dum, ēruite stipulam meam!

Apēs, ēcastor! Quid faciēmus?

Ἄγετε δή, ἐξέλετε τὴν καλάμην μου.

Μέλισσαι, νὴ τὼ θεώ. Τί ποιήσωμεν;

The loud buzzing of the bees frightened Dorothy worse than the wolves had done, but the scarecrow knew what to do.

Gravis apium bombus Dōrotheam magis terrēbat quam potuērunt lupī, terriculum autem sciēbat quid faciendum esset.

Ὁ μὲν βαρὺς τῶν μελισσῶν βόμβος μᾶλλον ἐφόβει Δωροθέαν ἢ ἐδυνήθησαν οἱ λύκοι, τὸ δὲ φόβητρον ᾔδει τί πρακτέον εἴη.

Come on, sting me!

Venīte et pungite!

Μολοῦσαι κεντεῖτε.

Quickly he reached inside his shirt and pulled out enough straw to cover Dorothy and the others, while the woodman taunted the bees!

Quod vērō cito manum intrō extendēns ēruit stipulam sufficientem Dōrotheæ et aliīs tegendīs, lignātor autem apēs inlūdēbat.

Τὸ μὲν ταχὺ τὴν χεῖρα ἔσω ὄρεξαν ἐξεῖλεν καλάμην ἀρκοῦσαν σκεπάζειν Δωροθέαν καὶ τοὺς ἄλλους, ὁ δὲ ξυλεὺς ἔσκωπτε τὰς μελίσσας.

Seeing nothing else to attack, the whole swarm of bees blunted their stings on the woodman’s metal body, without hurting anything!

Cum nihil aliud in quod impetum facerent vīdissent, omnēs apēs in corpus lignātōris stanneum, nūllō læsō, aculeōs retudērunt.

Οὐδὲν δ' ἰδοῦσαι πρὸς ὅπερ ἐφορμῷεν ἄν, πᾶσαι αἱ μέλισσαι, οὐδενὸς βλαφθέντος, ἤμβλῡναν τὰ κέντρα ἐπὶ τὸ τοῦ ξυλέως κασσιτέρινον σῶμα.

Then they flew away, unable to sting anything, ever again! And out from under the straw came Dorothy, the lion, and Toto!

Deinde āvolāvērunt, nē potentēs umquam ūllum iterum pungere! Ex autem sub stipulā exiērunt Dōrothea et Leō et Tōtus.

Ἔπειτα ἀπέπτοντο, οὐ δυνάμεναι οὐδὲν οὔποτε αὖ κεντῆσαι. Ἐκ δ' ὑπὸ τῇ καλάμῃ ἐξῆλθον Δωροθέα καὶ ὁ λέων καὶ Τῶτος.

You can all come out now!

If only you could put in some brains!

Licet vōbīs nunc exīre!

Utinam cerebrum quoddam īnsererētis!

Ἔξεστιν ὑμῖν [ῡ] νῦν ἐξελθεῖν.

Εἴθ' ἐνεβάλλετ’ ἐγκέφαλόν τινα.

Gratefully Dorothy helped to stuff the scarecrow, saying that without brains he was brighter than all of them!

Grātiās autem habēns Dōrothea adjūvāvit ut terriculum confercīrētur, dīcēns illud cerebrō egēns prūdentius sē omnibus esse.

Χάριν δ' εἰδυῖα Δωροθέα ἐβοήθησεν ὥστε τὸ φόβητρον σάττεσθαι, λέγουσα ὅτι ἐκεῖνο οὐκ ἔχον ἐγκέφαλον φρονιμώτερον πάντων αὐτῶν εἴη.

Zizzy, zizzy, zuk!

Abracadabra!

Ἀβλαναθανάλβα.

The wicked witch, however, had not given up. She put on her magic cap and called for the flying monkeys to help her.

Attamen mala sāga haud dēsistēbat. Et, tiārā magicā impositā, sīmiās volātilēs in auxilium vocāvit.

Ἀλλὰ μὴν ἡ πονηρὰ γοῆτις οὐκ ἔληγεν. Καί, λαβοῦσα τὴν μαγικὴν τιάρᾱν [ᾱ], ἐκάλεσε τοὺς πτηνοὺς πιθήκους εἰς βοήθειαν.

ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 21

Chitter chatter chitter chatter

[Nūgæ.]

[Φλυᾱρία.]

Out of the sky came a chattering and a rush of many wings. The flying monkeys were answering the magic cap!

Ē cælō autem audītī sunt nūgæ strīdorque ālārum multārum. Nam sīmiæ volātilēs tiāræ magicæ obœdiēbant.

Ἐκ δὲ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ ἠκουσθήτην φλυᾱρία καὶ ῥοίζημα πτερῶν πολλῶν. Οἱ γὰρ πτηνοὶ πίθηκοι ὑπήκουον τῇ μαγικῇ τιάρᾳ [ᾱ].

What are your commands?

Destroy all those strangers except the lion!

Quid imperās?

Perdite omnēs peregrīnōs illōs præter leōnem!

Τί προστάσσεις;

Ἀπολέσατε πάντας τοὺς ξένους ἐκείνους πλὴν τοῦ λέοντος.

The wicked witch ordered the flying monkeys to bring the lion to her castle unharmed, so he could be put to work!

Mala autem sāga jussit sīmiās volātilēs leōnem innoxium in castellum ejus afferre ut in servitūtem addūcerētur.

Ἡ δὲ πονηρὰ γοῆτις ἐκέλευσε τοὺς πτηνοὺς πιθήκους τὸν λέοντα ἀβλαβῆ εἰς τὸ φρούριον αὐτῆς προσάγειν ἵνα εἰς δουλείαν καταβληθείη.

No! Stop! You horrid things!

Absit! Mittite, ō scelerum capita!

Μὴ γένοιτο. Παύεσθε, ὦ μιαραὶ κεφαλαί.

Swifter than birds or bees, the monkeys descended on Dorothy and her friends! They seized the woodman and the scarecrow!

Sīmiæ autem, celeriōrēs avibus vel apibus, cum super Dōrotheam amīcōsque ejus dēscendissent, et lignātōrem et terriculum rapuērunt.

Οἱ δὲ πίθηκοι, θάσσοντες ὀρνίθων ἤτοι μελισσῶν, καταβάντες ἐπὶ Δωροθέαν τε καὶ τοὺς φίλους αὐτῆς, ἥρπασαν καὶ τὸν ξυλέα καὶ τὸ φόβητρον.

Geek! Geek!

[Ululātus.]

[Ὀλολῡγή.]

Chatter chatter chitter chitter

[Nūgæ.]

[Φλυᾱρία.]

Soon the scarecrow’s straw stuffing was drifting down from the sky, leaving nothing but his poor old clothes!

Mox vērō terriculī tōmentum dē caelō dēferēbātur, nūllō relictō præter vestīmenta ejus dēteriōra et obsolēta.

Αὐτίκα δὴ τὸ τοῦ φοβήτρου κνέφαλλον κατεκομίζετο ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ, καταλιπὸν μηδὲν πλὴν τῶν ἱματίων [ῑμ] αὐτοῦ τῶν φαύλων καὶ παλαιουμένων.

Geet! He- he he heee!

[Strīdōr.]

[Τριγμός.]

Two of the monkeys dropped the tin woodman into a rocky ravine, where he was so badly dented and bent that he could not move!

Duæ quidem ē sīmiīs dēmīsērunt lignātōrem stanneum in petrōsa, quī ibi sīc incīsus et īnflexus est ut nōn potuerit movērī.

Δύο μὲν τῶν πιθήκων ἀφείσθην τὸν κασσιτέρινον ξυλέα εἰς πετρώδη τινά, ὁ δ' ἐκεῖ οὕτως ἐξεκόπη καὶ ἐξεκάμφθη ὥστε οὐ δύνασθαι κῑνηθῆναι.

ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 22

A whole flock of the creatures roped the cowardly lion and carried him off in spite of his terrible roar.

Omnis grex animālium quīdam leōnem timidum alligātum etsī terribiliter rugientem abstulērunt.

Πᾶσα δὲ ἀγέλη τις τῶν ζῴων ἀφείλετο τὸν δειλὸν λέοντα προσδεδεμένον καίπερ δεινῶς βρῡχώμενον.

Oho! I can’t harm you, little girl!

Nor Toto!

Ō, nōn possum tē lædere, puellula!

Neque Tōtum!

Ὤ, οὐχ οἷός τʼ εἰμὶ βλάπτειν σε, κοράσιον.

Οὐδέ γε Τῶτον.

When the leader of the flying monkeys saw the kiss of the good witch of the north on Dorothy’s forehead, he paused!

Cum autem sīmiārum volātilium dūx ōsculum bonæ sāgæ septentriōnis in Dōrotheæ fronte vīdisset, substitit.

Ὁ δὲ τῶν πτηνῶν πιθήκων ἡγεμὼν ἱδὼν τὸ φίλημα τῆς ἀγαθῆς γοήτιδος τῶν βορείων ἐπὶ τοῦ μετώπου Δωροθέας ὄν, ἐπαύσατο.

Where?

To the wicked witch’s castle!

Quō?

Ad castellum malæ sāgæ.

Ποῖ;

Πρὸς τὸ φρούριον τῆς πονηρᾶς γοήτιδος.

But, although the good witch’s kiss protected Dorothy from actual harm, it did not keep the monkeys from carrying her off!

Ōsculum autem bonæ sāgæ, quamquam Dōrotheam ab ipsō malō cūstōdiēbat, nōn prohibēbat sīmiās eam auferre.

Τὸ δὲ φίλημα τῆς ἀγαθῆς γοήτιδος, καίπερ Δωροθέαν ἀπὸ αὐτοῦ τοῦ κακοῦ φυλάσσον, οὐκ ἐκώλυεν τοὺς πιθήκους αὐτὴν ἀποφέρεσθαι.

The kiss protects her!

Worse Luck! But I can use her!

Ōsculum cūstōdit eam.

Tantō pejus! Possum autem ūtī eā!

Τὸ φίλημα φυλάσσει αὐτήν.

Τοσούτῳ χεῖρον. Ἔχω δὲ χρῆσθαι αὐτῇ.

They set her and Toto carefully down on the castle steps, and flew away! Dorothy determined not to be afraid of the old witch!

Quæ, eā Tōtōque in castellī gradūs cautē dēpositīs, ēvolāvērunt. Dōrothea autem in animum indūxit nē vetulam sāgam timēret.

Οἱ δὲ καταθέντες αὐτήν τε καὶ Τῶτον ἐπὶ τὴν κλίμακα [ῑ] τοῦ φρουρίου ἐξέπτοντο. Δωροθέα δὲ προείλετο μὴ τὴν πρεσβυτέραν γοήτιδα φοβεῖσθαι.

Inside with you!

The wicked witch ordered Dorothy to get some water and scrub the kitchen floor and Dorothy thought best to obey her!

Intrā!

Mala sāga jussit Dōrotheam, aquā haustā, abstergēre pavīmentum culīnæ. Dōrotheæ autem optimum vīsum est obēdīre.

Εἴσελθε.

Ἡ μὲν πονηρὰ γοῆτις ἐκέλευσε Δωροθέαν ἀρυσαμένην ὕδωρ ἀποσμῆν τὸ τοῦ μαγειρείου ἔδαφος. Δωροθέᾳ δ' ἔδοξε κράτιστον εἶναι πείθεσθαι.

I’ll have her silver shoes yet! Hehm heh!

Etiam habēbō ejus calceāmenta argentea! [Cachinnus]

Ἔτι ἕξω αὐτῆς τὰ ἀργυρᾶ ὑποδήματα. [Καχασμός]

When Dorothy had gone out to the well, the witch placed an iron bar across the threshold for the girl to trip over.

Cum Dōrothea ad puteum ēgressa esset, sāga ōbicem ferreum in līmine posuit quō puella supplantārētur.

Ἐπειδὴ Δωροθέα πρὸς τὸ φρέαρ ἐξῆλθεν, ἡ γοῆτις κατέθηκε μοχλὸν σιδηροῦν ἐν τῇ εἰσόδῳ ἵνα ἡ κόρη σφαλείη.
ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 23

Oh!

And, sure enough, Dorothy did trip, for the iron bar was a magic one, invisible to Dorothy’s eyes! She didn’t fall.

Ō!

Etenim Dōrothea supplantāta est, cum ōbex ferreus magicus atque suīs oculīs invīsibilis esset. Nōn cecidit autem.

Ὤ.

Καὶ γὰρ Δωροθέα ἐσφάλη μέν, τοῦ σιδηροῦ μοχλοῦ μαγικοῦ καὶ ἑαυτῆς ὄμμασιν ἀοράτου [ρᾱ] ὄντος. Οὐκ ἔπεσε δέ.

Give me my shoe, please!

Oh, no! Heh, heh!

The wicked witch’s voice was so mean, and it was so plain she meant to keep the silver shoe, that Dorothy grew angry!

Redde, quæsō, calceāmentum meum!

Minimē! [Cachinnus]

Tam turpiter sonābat vōx malæ sāgæ, tam apertē erat eī in animō calceāmentum argenteum tenēre, ut Dōrothea īrāta sit.

Ἄποδος, δέομαί σου, τὸ ὑπόδημά μου.

Οὐχί. [Καχασμός ]

Οὕτως αἰσχρῶς μὲν ἤχει ἡ φωνὴ τῆς πονηρᾶς γοήτιδος, οὕτω φανερῶς δ’ ἦν αὐτῇ γνώμη ἔχειν τὸ ἀργυροῦν ὕπόδημα, ὥστε Δωροθέα ὠργίσθη.

Quickly she tossed the whole bucket of water over the witch, who screamed and threw a shocking fit.

Ἡ μὲν ταχὺ ἔριψε πᾶν τὸ ἐκ τοῦ ὑδρείου ὕδωρ ἐπὶ τὴν γοήτιδα, ἡ δὲ ἀναβοῶσα θαυμαστῶς ἐπελήφθη.

Hæ citō jēcī tōtam ē situlā aquam in sāgam, illa exclāmans mirābilī modō correpta est.

What’s happening to you?

Water! It’s the death of me! Ah!

Τί γίγνεταί σοι;

Τὸ ὕδωρ ἀπόλλῡσί με. Ἆ.

Quid fit tibi?

Aqua mē perdit! Ā!

Right before Dorothy’s eyes, the wicked witch began melting and running over the floor, like sugar when it is wet.

Nam ante Dōrotheæ oculōs, mala sāga liquefīēbat et per solum diffundēbātur, similis saccharō quandō imbrēs sunt.

Πρὸ γὰρ τῶν Δωροθέας ὀφθαλμῶν ἡ πονηρὰ γοῆτις ἐτήκετο καὶ ἐπέτρεχε τῷ ἐδάφει, ἐικυῖα τῷ σάκχαρι ὅταν ὀμβρία ᾖ.

Dear me! That’s the lion!

Soon all that was left of the wicked witch of the west was a puddle! Dorothy thought of cleaning it up, when she heard a roar!

Ēcastor! Leō est!

Mox vērō quod reliquum est mālæ sāgæ occīdentis erat lacūna! Quam Dōrothea pūrgātūra erat, cum rugītum audīvit.

Νὴ τὼ θεώ. Ὁ λέων ἐστίν.

Αὐτίκα δὴ τὸ καταλειφθὲν τῆς πονηρᾶς γοήτιδος τῶν δυσμῶν ἦν τέλμα. Τοῦτο δὲ Δωροθέα ἔμελλεν καθαρίζειν, ὅτε ἤκουσε βρῡχημα.

It’s all right! I’ll let you out!

Dashing out into a fenced courtyard, she found the lion, and set him free, because now there was no wicked witch to stop her!

Bene est! Dīmittam tē!

Cum vēlōciter in cohortem circummūnītam exīsset et leōnem invēnisset, līberāvit eum, quia nūlla mala sāga erat quæ eam dētinēret.

Καλῶς ἔχει. Ἀφήσω σε.

Ταχέως δ' εἰς αὐλὴν περίφρακτον ἐξελθοῦσα καὶ τὸν λέοντα εὑροῦσα, ἠλευθέρωσεν αὐτόν, διότι οὐδεμία πονηρὰ γοῆτις ἦν τοῦ κατέχειν αὐτήν.
ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 24

Thank you, little girl, for setting us free!

My name is Dorothy!

Tibi grātiās habēmus, ō puellula, quia līberāstī nōs!

Mihi nōmen est Dōrothea.

Χάριν ἔχομέν σοι, ὦ κοράσιον, ὅτι ἠλευθέρωσας ἡμᾶς.

Δωροθέα μοί ἐστιν ὄνομα.

Dorothy had just let the lion out when a number of yellow winkies, whom the wicked witch had ruled over, stood bowing before her!

Cum Dōrothea leōnem dīmīsisset, tum multī ē flāvīs Cōnīvolīs, in quibus mala sāga dominārī dēsierat, summissīs capitibus, cōram illā stābant.

Ὁπότε Δωροθεα ἀφῆκε τὸν λέοντα, τότε πολλοὶ τῶν ξανθῶν Σκαρδαμυκτῶν, ὧν ἡ πονηρὰ γοῆτις ἄρχουσα ἐπέπαυτο, κύψαντες ἕστασαν ἔμπροσθεν ἐκείνης.

Dorothy is there anything we winkies can do for you?

Yes!

Ō Dōrothea, estne ā nōbīs Cōnīvolīs aliquid auxiliī tibi?

Est!

Ὦ Δωροθέα, ἆρ' ἔστι παρ᾽ ἡμῶν τῶν Σκαρδαμυκτῶν ὠφέλειά τίς σοι;

Ναί.

Quickly Dorothy told the winkies that her great worry was for the brave tin woodman and the loyal scarecrow!

Cōnfestim Dōrothea Cōnīvolīs dīxit sē discruciārī ob fortem lignātōrem stanneum et fidēle terriculum!

Παραχρῆμα δὲ Δωροθέα διηγήσατο τοῖς Σκαρδαμυκταῖς ὅτι ἀνιῷτο περὶ τοῦ ἀνδρείου κασσιτερίνου ξυλέως καὶ τοῦ πιστοῦ φοβήτρου.

We will find them wherever they are!

Inveniēmus eōs, ubicumque sunt!

Εὑρησόμεθα αὐτώ, ὅπου ἄν ἦτον.

The winkies lost no time! They divided into searching parties, promising to find the scarecrow and the tin woodman for her!

Ideō Cōnīvolī tempus nōn āmīsēre sed, in explōrātōrum turmās dīvīsī, pollicitī sunt sē et terriculum et lignātōrem stanneum prō eā inventūrōs esse.

Διὸ οἱ Σκαρδαμυκταὶ οὐκ ἐμέλλησαν, ἀλλ' εἰς ἴλας [ῑ] κατασκόπων διαιρεθέντες, ὑπέσχοντο εὑρήσειν ὑπὲρ αὐτῆς καὶ τὸ φόβητρον καὶ τὸν κασσιτέρινον ξυλέα.

Oh, oh!

Don’t cry! We’ll repair him!

Ō, ō!

Nōlī flēre. Reficiēmus eum.

Ὤ, ὤ.

Μὴ κλαῖε, ἐπισκευάσομεν γὰρ αὐτόν.

They found the tin woodman that very same day, and told Dorothy that their tinsmiths could make like new again!

Quī, cum lignātōrem stanneum ipsā diē invēnissent, Dōrotheæ dīxērunt fabrōs stanneōs suōs illum renovāre posse.

Οἱ δ' αὐθημερόν εὑρόντες τὸν κασσιτέρινον ξυλέα, Δωροθέᾳ εἶπον τοὺς κασσιτερουργοὺς αὐτῶν οἵους τʼ εἶναι ἐκεῖνον καινοποιῆσαι.

The scarecrow! I’m so glad!

So am I, Dorothy!

Terriculum! Valdē gaudeō!

Et ego, ō Dōrothea!

Τὸ φόβητρον. Χαίρω ὑπερφυῶς.

Κἀγώ, ὦ Δωροθέα.

And, before evening, the scarecrow walked in, as large as life, to tell how they had found him in a tree and stuffed him with nice, clean straw!

Et ante vesperum terriculum magnificē ingressus nārrāvit quōmodo id in arbore invēnissent et stipulā mundā pūrāque farsissent.

Καὶ πρὸ ἑσπέρας τὸ φόβητρον μεγαλοπρεπῶς εἰσελθὸν διηγήσατο πῶς αὐτὸ ἐπὶ δένδρου εὑρόντες καλάμης καθαρᾶς καὶ ἀκράτου ἐπλήρωσαν.
ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 25

I wonder what’s in here. Oh! A magic cap!

Libenter sciam quid istīc sit. Ō, tiāra magica!

Ἡδέως ἂν μάθοιμι τί ἔστι τἀνταυθοῖ. Ὤ, τιάρᾱ [ᾱρ] μαγική τις.

Since there was nothing now to keep Dorothy and her friends in the castle, Dorothy packed a lunch. Then…

Cum nihil Dōrotheam amīcōsque ejus in castrō retinēret, ea cibum in cistam collēgit. Deinde...

Οὐδένος οὖν Δωροθέαν τε καὶ τοὺς φίλους αὐτῆς ἐν τῷ φρουρίῳ κατεχόντος, ἐκείνη
συνεσκευάσατο σῖτον ἐν κίστῃ, Ἔπειτα δέ....

Well! Here are “instructions”

Inside the witch’s magic cap she read how to use it and summon the flying monkeys to do anything she asked!

Eugē, documentum quoddam!

Intrā magicam sāgæ tiāram lēgit quōmodo eā ūtēns sīmiās volātilēs vocāret quī facerent quæcumque ipsa petīsset.

Εὖγε, δίδαγμά τι.

Ἐντὸς τῆς μαγικῆς τιάρας [ᾱρ] τῆς γοήτιδος ἀνέγνω ὅπως αὐτῇ χρωμένη καλεῖ τοὺς πτηνοὺς πιθήκους ποιῆσαι ὅσα ἂν αὐτὴ αἰτήσῃ.

Zzzy zuzzy zk!

Abracadabra!

Ἀβλαναθανάλβα.

When she was sure she had memorized them, letter-perfect, she put the cap on, stamped, and repeated the words.

Tum sibi persuāsa sē id ad litteram memoriæ mandāsse, tiārā sibi impositā, supplōsit et verba reddidit.

Τότε δὲ πεπεισμένη θέσθαι αὑτὸ κατὰ τὰ γράμματα εἰς μνήμην, λαβοῦσα τὴν μαγικὴν τιάρᾱν [ᾱ], ἐκρότησεν καὶ τὸν λόγον ἐποιήσατο.

You may give us three commands! What is first?

Licet tibi ter imperāre nōbīs! Quid prīmum?

Ἔξεστί σοι εἰς τρὶς προστάξαι ἡμῖν. Τί τὸ πρῶτον;

Almost instantly the flying monkeys appeared! Dorothy ordered them to take her and her friends straight to the throne room of the wizard of Oz!

Sine morā sīmiæ volātilēs appāruērunt! Dōrothea autem eīs imperāvit ut sē amīcōsque suōs ad aulam magī Ozī rēctā veherent.

Ἀμελλητὶ δ' οἱ μὲν πτηνοὶ πίθηκοὶ ὤφθησαν. Δωροθέα δὲ προσέταξε αὐτοῖς εὐθὺ ἄγειν ἑαυτήν τε καὶ τοῦς ἑαυτῆς φίλους πρὸς τὴν αὐλὴν τοῦ μάγου Ὄζου.

Almost before they knew what was happening, Dorothy’s friends were snatched up into the air, with her and Toto!

Amīcī autem Dōrotheæ, modo quae fīēbant nōn cognōscentēs, in aēra ūnā cum eā Tōtōque raptī sunt.

Οἱ δὲ φίλοι Δωροθέας, ὅσον οὐ γνόντες τὰ γιγνόμενα, ἡρπάσθησαν εἰς ἀέρα αὐτῇ τε καὶ Τώτῳ.

ImageImage

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

Hi bedwere,

Even if I don't post often, I generally read your translations. Thanks for posting these.

I just wonder about in cistā collēgit. I know the ablative/accusative distinction is not always clearcut in these cases but do you think cistam would be better?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Hi Shenoute,

I thought about that too. I'll change to accusative. Thanks!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 26

This time Dorothy wasn’t a bit frightened! Reaching the Emerald City, the flying monkeys circled down to the palace.

Tunc vērō Dōrothea nihil metuēbat! Sīmiæ autem volātilēs, cum Smaragdōpolin pervēnissent, ad rēgiam circuitū dēscendērunt.

Τότε δὴ Δωροθέα μὲν οὐδὲ ἓν ἐφοβεῖτο. Οἱ δὲ πτηνοὶ πίθηκοι, εἰς Σμαραγδούπολιν ἀφικόμενοι, κύκλῳ κατέβησαν πρὸς τὰ βασίλεια.

And into the throne room of the great Oz, through a high window!

Oz! Where are you?

Et per fenestram altam in aulam Ozī magnī!

Ōze, ubi es?

Καὶ διὰ θυρίδος ὑψηλῆς εἰς τὴν αὐλὴν τοῦ μεγάλου Ὄζου.

Ὤζε, ποῦ εἶ;

Dorothy found herself staring at the empty throne in wonder, Nothing in the room was green, as she had remembered it!

Deinde Dōrothea mīrāns intuēbātur solium vacuum. Nihil enim viridis in aulā erat ut ipsa meminerat.

Ἔπειτα Δωροθέα θαυμάζουσα ἐθεᾶτο τὸν κενὸν θρόνον. Οὐδὲν γὰρ χλωρὸν ἐν τῇ αὐλῇ ἦν ὡς αὐτὴ ἐμέμνητο.

Then, as the wing of a flying monkey knocked over a screen, Dorothy glimpsed a little, bald-headed man who had been standing behind it!

Cum autem sīmiæ volātilis āla tegmen dēiēcisset, tunc Dōrothea observāvit homunciōnem calvum quemdam ā tergō stantem.

Ὅτε δὲ πτέρυξ πιθήκου πτηνοῦ τινος κατέβαλε σκέπην, τότε Δωροθέα ἐσκόπησεν ἀνθρώπιον φαλακρόν τι ὄπισθεν ἑστός.

Hello! Where is Oz?

Why, I am Oz, the great and terrible!

Salvē, ubi est Ozus?

Enimvērō ego sum Ozus, magnus et terribilis!

Χαῖρε, ποῦ ἐστιν Ὄζος;

Ἀλλ´ ἐγώ εἰμι Ὄζος, ὁ μέγας καὶ φοβερός.

When he spoke, Dorothy could hardly believe her ears! This little man was so harmless, almost sheepish looking!

Loquente eō, Dōrothea fidem audītīs modo nōn habēbat. Sīc enim homunciō iste innocuus vidēbātur atque ovī ferē similis.

Λέγοντος δὲ αὐτοῦ, Δωροθέα πίστιν περὶ τῶν ἀκουομένων ὅσον οὐκ εἶχεν. Ὧδε γὰρ τοῦτο τὸ ἀνθρώπιον ἄδολον ἐφαίνετο καὶ σχεδὸν προβατῶδες.

ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 27

Why, you’re not terrible at all!

I know it! I’ve just been making believe!

Enimvērō omnīnō nōn es terribilis!

Sciō. Tantum enim simulō!

Ἀλλὰ πάντως οὐκ εἶ φοβερός.

Οἶδά γε. Μόνον γὰρ προσποιοῦμαι.

He went on to say that he really was the wizard of Oz, and looking like a giant was trickery, like the green glasses he had made them wear!

Quī dīxit sē vērō magum Ozī esse. Similitūdinem autem gigantis, ait, artificium esse, sīc etiam oculāria viridia quæ ab eīs gestārī coēgisset.

Οὗτος δ' εἶπεν ὅτι εἴη δὴ ὁ μάγος Ὄζου. Τὴν δὲ γίγαντι ὁμοιότητα, ἔφη, τέχνημα εἶναι, οὕτω καὶ τὰ χλωρὰ δίοπτρα ἃ ὑπ' αὐτῶν φορεῖσθαι ἀναγκάσειε.

You see, I have been many things… an actor, a balloonist, and a ventriloquist

Vidēs mē, multīs negōtiīs implicātum, histriōnem, āerobatēn, ventriloquum fuisse.

Ὁρᾷς με πολυπραγμονήσαντα γενέσθαι ὑποκριτήν, ἀεροβατήν, ἐγγαστρίμυθον.

He said that the last time he had gone up in a balloon, the high winds had carried him to this strange land of Oz where the people thought him a wizard!

Postrēmō dixit sē, cum in āerostātō ascendisset, sævō ventō ductum esse ad istam mīram terram Ozī, ubi hominēs eum magum esse quidem putārent.

Τελευταῖος δ', ἔφη, ἐπ᾿ ἀεροστάτου ἀναβὰς χαλεπῷ πνεύματι ἀχθῆναι εἰς ταύτην τὴν θαυμασίαν γῆν Ὄζου, ὅπου οἱ ἄνθρωποι νομίζουσί γ’ αὐτὸν μάγον εἶναι.

Then you can’t really help us?

Or give me a heart?

Or me brains?

Or me some courage?

Ahem!

Numquid ergō potes nōs adjuvāre?

An mihi cor dare?

An mihi cerebrum?

An mihi audāciam quamdam?

Hem!

Ἆρα οὖν μὴ οἷός τ' εἶ ἡμῖν βοηθεῖν;

Ἤ μοι καρδίαν διδόναι;

Ἤ μοι ἐγκέφαλον;

Ἤ μοι θάρσος τι;

Ἢ ἤ.

When Dorothy saw that Oz was really a fake, she felt disappointed enough to cry and so did her friends! But Oz smiled!

Dōrothea quidem, cum Ozum sānē fictum esse vīdisset, spē sīc lāpsa est ut flēret et similiter amīcī ejus. Ozus autem rīsit.

Δωροθέα μὲν ἰδοῦσα τὸν Ὄζον ψευδῆ δὴ ὄντα, οὕτως ἀπεσφάλη τῆς ἐλπίδος ὥστε κλαίειν καὶ ὁμοίως οἱ φίλοι αὐτῆς. Ὁ δ' Ὄζος ἐγέλασεν.

I am a man of my word! And that cap tells me…

Ego vir fidēlis sum! Tiāra autem ista mihi indicat...

Εγὼ ἀνὴρ πιστός εἰμι. Αὕτη δ' ἡ τιάρᾱ [ᾱ] ἀποφαίνει μοι...

He said that since Dorothy’s magic cap proved the wicked witch was dead, he would now grant all their wishes!

Et ait, cum tiāra Dōrotheæ magica malam sāgam mortuam esse significāret, eōs omnia, quibus indigērent, ē sē cōnsecūtūrōs esse.

Καὶ ἔφη, ἐπειδὴ τὴν Δωροθέας μαγικὴν τιάρᾱν [ᾱ] διασαφεῖν τὴν πονηρὰν γοήτιδα τεθνηκυῖαν, αὐτοὺς παντῶν, ὧν δέοιντο, παρ' ἑαυτοῦ τεύξεσθαι.

Drink this and you will have courage!

Really?

Bibe et habēbis audāciam!

Itane?

Πιὼν ἕξεις θάρσος.

Οὐκ ἄραγε;

First he offered the cowardly lion a tumbler filled with colored liquid and assured him that it was pure courage!

Prīmum ergō, cum leōnī timidō ampullam liquidī colōrātī plēnam præbuisset, persuāsit eī quod audācia mera esset.

Πρῶτον μὲν οὖν, παρασχὼν τῷ δειλῷ λέοντι λήκυθον ὑγροῦ κεχρωσμένου μεστήν, ἐπεισεν αὐτὸν ὅτι θάρσος ἄκρατόν ἐστιν.
ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 28

Roar! I feel brave!

Of course, you do now!

[Rugiō.] Sentiō mē fortem esse!

Nīmīrum… quidem!

[Ὠρύομαι.] Αἰσθάνομαι ἀγαθὸς ὤν.

Ἀμέλει… γοῦν.

Then, as the grateful lion roared, Oz filled the scarecrow’s head with something that looked like sawdust but was labeled brains!

Deinde, leōne grātō rugiente, Ozus implēvit caput terriculī quō scobis vērō vidēbātur, cerebrum autem esse indicābātur.

Ἔπειτα δέ, τοῦ εὐχαρίστου λέοντος ὠρυομένου, ὁ Ὄζος ἐπλήρωσε τὴν τοῦ φοβήτρου κεφαλὴν τῷ φαινομένῳ μὲν πρίσματα, ἐπισημαινομένῳ δ' ἐγκέφαλος εἶναι.

That’s easier than sending me home!

Oh, now, don’t worry!

Id facilius est quam domum mittere mē!

Age dum, nōlī sollicitārī!

Τοῦτο ῥᾷόν εστιν τοῦ πέμπειν οἴκαδέ με.

Ἄγε δή, μὴ φρόντιζε.

As he placed a soft, silken heart inside the tin woodman, he told Dorothy he would take her back to Kansas himself in a balloon!

Et pōnēns cor molle sēricumque intrā lignātōrem stanneum, Dōrotheæ dīxit ipsum eam in āerostātō in Kansiam relātūrum esse.

Καὶ κατατιθεὶς ἐντὸς τοῦ κασσιτερίνου ξυλέως καρδίαν μαλακὴν καὶ σηρικήν, Δωροθέᾳ εἶπεν ὅτι αὐτὸς ἐκείνην ἐπ᾿ ἀεροστάτου εἰς τὴν Κανσίαν ἀνοίσει.
How soon will the balloon be ready?

It took Oz and Dorothy three whole days to sew all the pieces of colored silk together to make the balloon!

Quandō āerostātum parātum erit?

Trīduō autem opus Ozō Dōrotheæque fuit ut ē sēricīs pannīs cōnsūtīs āerostātum fieret.

Πότε τὸ ἀεροστάτον ἕτοιμον ἔσται;

Τρίων δὲ ἡμέρων ἐδέησεν Ὄζῳ τε καὶ Δωροθέᾳ πρὸς τὸ ἐκ σηρικῶν ῥάκων συρραφέντων ἀεροστάτον γενέσθαι.

At last it was done and the wizard of Oz had the balloon filled with hot air over a heap of glowing charcoal!

Quickly, now, Dorothy!

Āerostātō tandem factō, magus Ozī jussit id super carbōnēs ārdentēs āere calidō implērī.

Properā, Dōrothea!

Τοῦ δ’ ἀεροστάτου τελευταῖον ποιηθέντος, ὁ μάγος Ὄζου ἐκέλευσεν αὐτὸ ὑπὲρ ἀνθράκων καιομένων πληρωθῆναι ἀέρος θερμοῦ.

Σπεῦδε, Δωροθέα.

Suddenly the balloon rose and began tugging at the basket! Dorothy had already said good-bye to her friends, but...

Rarf!

Subitō autem āerostātum lēvātum trahēbat canistrum. Cum Dōrothea amīcīs valēte jam dīxisset,

[Latrō]

Ἐξαίφνης δὲ τὸ ἀεροστάτον ἀναστὰν εἵλκε τὸ κανοῦν. Ὅτε δὲ Δωροθέα χαίρειν ἤδη εἶπε τοῖς φίλοις,

[Ὑλάκτω]

...just then, Toto jumped out of Dorothy’s arms to chase a passing cat. Too quickly for Dorothy to stop him.

...tum vērō Tōtus saluit ex Dōrotheæ brāchiīs ut fēlem ambulantem persequerētur. Quod autem citius quam ut Dōrothea illum dētinēret.

...τότε δὴ Τῶτος ἐσκίρτησεν ἐκ τῶν τῆς Δωροθέας βραχιόνων ἵνα αἴλουρον βαδίζουσαν διώκοι. Τοῦτο δὲ θᾶττον ἢ ὥστε Δωροθέαν ἐκεῖνον κατέχειν.

ImageImage

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 29

Oh, Toto! See what you’ve done!

The wind. I couldn’t help it!

Ō, Tōte! Vidē quid ēgerīs!

Ventus... nōn potuī hoc tenēre!

Ὤ, Τῶτε. Σκόπει τί πέπραχας.

Ἄνεμος... οὐχ ἠδυνήθην τόδε κατέχειν.

When she looked up, the balloon was already high overhead and rising rapidly, with the wizard of Oz in the basket.

Quæ cum suspexit, tum āerostātum, jam suprā capita excelsum, vēlōciter, magō Ozī in canistrō stante, surgēbat.

Ὅτε δ' αὕτη ἀνέβλεψε, τότε τὸ ἀεροστάτον ἤδη μετέωρον ὑπὲρ τῶν κεφαλῶν ὂν ταχέως ἀνίστατο, τοῦ μάγου Ὄζου ἐν τῷ κανῷ ἑστῶτος.

Three minutes later the balloon and the wizard of Oz were growing small in the distance, quite out of control!

Quārtō autem minūtō āerostātum magusque Ozī recessū suō, cēteribus vērō impotentibus, minuēbantur.

Τῷ δὲ τετάρτῳ λεπτῷ τό τε ἀεροστάτον καὶ ὁ μάγος Ὄζου ἐμειοῦντο ἀποχωροῦντες, τῶν δὴ ἄλλων ἀκρατῶν ὄντων.

Don’t cry, Dorothy! It may all be for the best!

Nōlī flēre, ō Dōrothea! Omnia enim bene fuerint!

Μὴ κλαῖε, ὦ Δωροθέα. Πάντα γὰρ καλῶς εἴη ἄν.

The tin woodman and the scarecrow comforted Dorothy, remarking that perhaps the balloon would never have reached Kansas, anyway.

Lignātor autem stanneus et terriculum Dōrotheam cōnsōlābantur dīcentēs fortasse nec āerostātum umquam in Kansiam perventūrum fuisse.

Ὁ δὲ κασσιτερινὸς ξυλεὺς καὶ τὸ φόβητρον παρεμῡθοῦντο Δωροθέαν λέγοντες ὅτι τάχα τὸ ἀεροστάτον μηδέποτε ἂν εἰς Κανσίαν ἀφίκετο.

How about the flying monkeys?

Oh! I never thought of them!

Quid igitur sīmiæ volātilēs?

Ō, illās numquam cōnsīderāvī!

Τί δὴ οἱ πτηνοὶ πίθηκοι;

Ὤ, ἐκείνους οὐπώποτ᾽ ἐπενόησα.

It was the once-cowardly lion who came up with an idea that sounded wonderful, and brought back Dorothy’s hopes.

Ipse autem leō, quī quondam timidus fuerat, cōnsilium cēpit ut, cum mīrum vidērētur, spes Dōrotheæ redintegrārētur.

Αὐτὸς δ' ὁ λέων ὁ πάλαι δειλὸς ἐβουλεύσατο θαυμαστόν τι δοκοῦν ὥστε εἰς ἐλπίδας Δωροθέαν ἀποκαθιστάναι.

Zuzzy Zikk!

Abracadabra!

Ἀβλαναθανάλβα.

Chitter, chatter! Ha, ha, ha!

[Nūgæ.] Ha, ha, ha!

[Φλυᾱρία.] Ἅ, ἅ, ἅ.

No sooner had Dorothy summoned them than the flying monkeys arrived to obey the wearer of the magic cap.

Vix autem Dōrothea sīmiās volātilēs vocāverat cum ipsæ pervenīrent ut tiāram gerentī magicam obœdīrent.

Οὐδ' ἔφθη Δωροθέα καλέσασα τοὺς πτηνοὺς πιθήκους καὶ αὐτοὶ ἀφίκοντο ὡς τῇ τὴν μαγικὴν τιάρᾱν [ᾱ] φορούσᾳ πεισόμενοι.

No!

Psst! Dorothy!

Minimē!

Audī, ō Dōrothea!

Οὐχί.

Ἄκουσον, ὦ Δωροθέα.

But the monkey leader explained that his people could not leave the land of Oz! Dorothy almost wept, but the scarecrow…

Dux autem sīmiārum dīxit populum suum ā terrā Ozī discēdere nōn posse. Dōrothea quidem modo nōn flēvit, terriculum autem...

Ὁ δὲ τῶν πιθήκων ἡγεμὼν εἶπεν ὅτι ὁ ἑαυτοῦ λαὸς οὐ δύναται ἀποχωρεῖν ἀπὸ τῆς γῆς Ὄζου. Δωροθέα μὲν ὅσον οὐκ ἔκλαυσε, τὸ δὲ φόβητρον...
ImageImage

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

bedwere wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:50 am When she looked up, the balloon was already high overhead and rising rapidly, with the wizard of Oz in the basket.

Quæ cum suspexit, tum āerostātum, jam suprā capita excelsum, vēlōciter cum magō Ozī in canistrō surgēbat.
I have the feeling that cum magō Ozī in canistrō is a bit out of place here, too...English-like. I'd prefer an ablative absolute, something like mago Ozi in canistro stante
bedwere wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:50 am Three minutes later the balloon and the wizard of Oz were growing small in the distance, quite out of control!

Quārtō autem minūtō āerostātum magusque Ozī recessū suō, impotentēs vērō, minuēbantur.
Impotentes applies to the Wizard and the balloon but I read the English as saying that they are out of control of the others, i. e. the others are the impotentes. Maybe something like: ceteris impotentibus or omnibus conatibus irritis (but that last one would imply that something was tried, which doesn"t seem to be the case here)?
bedwere wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:50 am The tin woodman and the scarecrow comforted Dorothy, remarking that perhaps the balloon would never have reached Kansas, anyway.

Lignātor autem stanneus et terriculum Dōrotheam cōnsōlābantur dīcentēs fortasse nec āerostātum umquam in Kansiam perventūrum esse.
Perventurum fuisse? I read perventūrum esse as "the balloon will/would never reach Kansas, anyway".

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Thank you, Shenoute. I'm following your recommendations.

magō Ozī in canistrō stante

cēteribus vērō impotentibus

perventūrum fuisse (cfr. A Parallel Of Greek And Latin Syntax 404 (a))

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Page 30

My new brains are working!

Novum cerebrum meum mūnere suō fungitur!

Ὁ καινὸς ἐγκέφαλός μου ἐπιτελεῖ τὸ ἑαυτοῦ ἔργον.

But the scarecrow had a sudden thought: why couldn’t Dorothy call on the good witch of the south? The flying monkeys could carry her there!

Terriculum autem subitō aliquid cōgitāvit: cūr Dōrothea bonam sāgam austrī nōn vīseret? Nam sīmiæ volātilēs eam illūc gestārent.

Τὸ δὲ φόβητρον ἐξαίφνης ἐνενόησέ τι · διὰ τί Δωροθέα οὐκ ἂν ἐπισκοποίη τὴν ἀγαθὴν γοήτιδα τοῦ νότου; Οἱ γὰρ πτηνοὶ πίθηκοι φέροιεν ἂν αὐτὴν ἐκεῖσε.

Dear scarecrow!

Cāre terriculum!

Φίλε φόβητρον.

Dorothy said that was a positively brilliant idea and she would try it without losing another precious minute!

Dorothea autem respondit id vērō bonum cōnsilium esse, ipsam autem sine ūllā morā opus cōnātūram esse.

Δωροθέα δ' ἀπεκρίνατο [ῑ] ὅτι ἐκείνη μὲν εὐβουλία ἐστίν, αὐτὴ δὲ οὐδὲ καιρὸν προησομένη ἐπιχειρήσει τῷ ἔργῳ.

This is your third and last command!

Oh dear!

Hoc est tibi tertium et ultimum mandātum!

Ēcastor!

Αὕτη ἐστί σοι ἡ τρίτη καὶ ὑστάτη ἐντολή.

Νὴ τὼ θεώ.

The words were hardly spoken when the flying monkeys whiskered Dorothy up-but she wondered- what if the good witch refused!

Vix autem ista dicta erant cum sīmiæ volātilēs Dōrotheam corriperent. Quæ libenter scīvisset quid sī bona sāga nōllet?

Οὐδ' ἔφθη ταῦτα λεχθέντα καὶ οἱ πτηνοὶ πίθηκοι ἀνήρπασαν Δωροθέαν. Ἡ δ' ἡδέως ἂν ἔμαθεν τί εἰ ἡ ἀγαθὴ γοῆτις μὴ θέλοι;

Her castle? What is her name?

Glinda!

Nōnne castellum ejus? Quod nōmen eī est?

Glinda!

Οὐ τὸ φρούριον αὐτῆς; Τί αὐτῇ ἐστι τοὔνομα;

Γλίνδα.

The land of Oz swept past beneath the monkeys’ powerful wings and soon in the distance appeared a white marble tower!

Mox autem, terrā Ozī sub ālīs sīmiārum validīs recēdente, turris ex albō lapide facta ē longinquō appāruit.

Αὐτίκα δέ, τῆς γῆς Ὄζου ὑπὸ ταῖς τῶν πιθήκων κρατεραῖς πτέρυξιν ὑπαναχωρούσης, πύργος λευκόλιθός τις ἀπὀ μακρόθεν ἐφάνη.

Welcome, Dorothy! What can I do for you?

Tē salūtō, ō Dōrothea! Pοssumne tē ad aliquid adjuvāre?

Ἀσπάζομαί σε, ὦ Δωροθέα. Ἦ δύναμαι πρὸς τί σε ὠφελεῖν;

The good witch was a lovely young lady and she seemed to know at once who Dorothy was and why she had come!

Bona autem sāga, quæ virgō venusta erat, statim scīre vidēbātur quis Dōrothea esset et quā dē causā vēnisset.

Ἡ δ' ἀγαθὴ γοῆτις οὖσα κόρη χαρίεσσα ἐδόκει εὐθὺς εἰδέναι τίς Δωροθέα ἐστὶ καὶ διὰ τί ἐλήλυθεν.
ImageImage

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

Hi bedwere,
bedwere wrote:Dorothy said that was a positively brilliant idea and she would try it without losing another precious minute!

Dorothea autem respondit illum vērō bonum cōnsilium esse, ipsam autem neque tempus perditūram opus cōnātūram esse.
- illum > id (or illud)?
- I find the two future participles without coordination make the sentence harder to read. Maybe just ipsam autem sine (aliqua?) mora opus cōnātūram esse.? Or to put more of the emphasis that is there in the English: (respondit) ne punctum quidem temporis cunctaturam esse, quin opus conaretur (not entirely sure non cunctor, quin... is proper syntax though).
bedwere wrote:The words were hardly spoken when the flying monkeys whiskered Dorothy up-but she wondered- what if the good witch refused!

Vix autem ista dicta erant cum sīmiæ volātilēs Dōrotheam corriperent. Quæ libenter scīvisset quid sī bona sāga nōluisset?
Not sure about the tenses at the end of the sentence...I read it as "she would gladly have known, if the good witch had refused". Gives me the feeling that it's one notch too far in the past, so maybe just nollet? But don't take my word on that :D

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Hi, Shenoute.

Many thanks for your feedback!
Shenoute wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:51 pm
- illum > id (or illud)?
- I find the two future participles without coordination make the sentence harder to read. Maybe just ipsam autem sine sine (aliqua?) mora opus cōnātūram esse.?
Yes, illud/id.
I like also your second suggestion, but with ūllā.
Shenoute wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:51 pm ]Not sure about the tenses at the end of the sentence...I read it as "she would gladly have known, if the good witch had refused". Gives me the feeling that it's one notch too far in the past, so maybe just nollet? But don't take my word on that :D
At that time, Dorothy thinks: what if the witch should refuse?

I think we could translate it either with future perfect or with the present subjunctive. Than, moving that back to the past, those tenses would become pluperfect and imperfect subjunctive respectively. Would you agree?