Translation and Errors in D'Ooge's Lesson LXVI

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Propertius
Textkit Fan

Translation and Errors in D'Ooge's Lesson LXVI

Post by Propertius »

Exercises on pg. 164 of the workbook; answers at the bottom of pg. 30 of the answer key. (By the way, I think I've been giving you the wrong page for the answer key for most of this time since I haven't been refreshing the answer key. I'll begin to do so if I have been.)

378.I.
1. The boy who was fearing flees to not be captured. 2. The eagle, having been stirred by anger, had tried to kill the rest of the birds. 3. The soldiers, being hard pressed by the enemy, could not throw their spears. 4. Caesar, when about to praise the tenth legion, proceeded to the first line of troops. 5. The general having encouraged the cavalry to fight bravely, gave the sign to begin battle. 6. The soldiers, having pursued the enemy for eight miles, returned to the camp with many captives. 7. The rising sun saw many dead. 8. The Romans, having suspected a bold plan, did not entrust themselves to the barbarians. 9. The ship, having gone out of the harbor, was in no danger.

Regarding I.5, in the original, I couldn't find the idiom signum proelio dedit; I searched far and wide through google but only found signum proelii dedit (gave the sign of battle). Did I translate it correctly? I translated it as I thought it's idiomatic meaning to be instead of the literal translation of he gave the sign to battle. And if possible could you reference that idiom in a Latin writer. Thanks.

II.
1. Exercitus iter per patriam hostium faciens summon in periculo erat. (could it also be translated like this?)
2 Territi longitudine itineris patriam desiderabant. (it seems as if this sentence means home in the collective sense and not their individual home; patriam can also mean home according to wiktionary)
4. Multos dies morati aedificia incendimus ac discessimus. (could it also be translated like this?)
5. Romae habitans/vivens oratores multo meliores quam hos audivi. (Doesn't the thing compared have to be in the same case as what it's being compared to?)
6. Milites trans flumen pugnantes nihilo fortiores nobis sunt. (I think this is how D'Ooge wanted this sentence to be translated)

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Translation and Errors in D'Ooge's Lesson LXVI

Post by bedwere »

Propertius wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:26 am
378.I.
1. The boy, fearing to be captured, fled. 2. The eagle, having been stirred by anger, had tried to kill the rest of the birds. 3. The soldiers, being hard pressed by the enemy, could not throw their spears. 4. Caesar, when about to praise the tenth legion, proceeded to the first line of troops. 5. The general having encouraged the cavalry to fight bravely, gave the sign to begin battle. 6. The soldiers, having pursued the enemy for eight miles, returned to the camp with many captives. 7. The rising sun saw many dead. 8. The Romans, having suspected a bold plan, did not entrust themselves to the barbarians. 9. The ship, having gone out of the harbor, was in no danger.

II. 1. Exercitus iter in hostium fīnibus faciēns in maximō/summō perīculō erat. 2 Territī longitūdine itineris patriam/domum dēsīderābant. 4. Multōs diēs morātī aedificia incendimus ac discessimus/profectīque sumus. 5. Rōmae habitāns/vīvēns ōrātōrēs multō meliōrēs quam hōs audīvī. 6. Mīlitēs trāns/ultrā flūmen pugnantēs nihilō fortiōrēs nōbīs sunt.
Regarding I.5, I think you are right. It's probably a typo (see here).

II.1 patria is too lofty a word for those stinky barbarians :D (I hope Google won't deplatform me for this! :wink: ). I found in summō perīculō in Cicero, although summō in perīculō is fine too. I just don't want to give too many possibilities.
II.5 Yes, I agree.

Propertius
Textkit Fan

Post by Propertius »

bedwere wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:29 pm
Propertius wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:26 am
378.I.
1. The boy, fearing to be captured, fled. 2. The eagle, having been stirred by anger, had tried to kill the rest of the birds. 3. The soldiers, being hard pressed by the enemy, could not throw their spears. 4. Caesar, when about to praise the tenth legion, proceeded to the first line of troops. 5. The general having encouraged the cavalry to fight bravely, gave the sign to begin battle. 6. The soldiers, having pursued the enemy for eight miles, returned to the camp with many captives. 7. The rising sun saw many dead. 8. The Romans, having suspected a bold plan, did not entrust themselves to the barbarians. 9. The ship, having gone out of the harbor, was in no danger.

II. 1. Exercitus iter in hostium fīnibus faciēns in maximō/summō perīculō erat. 2 Territī longitūdine itineris patriam/domum dēsīderābant. 4. Multōs diēs morātī aedificia incendimus ac discessimus/profectīque sumus. 5. Rōmae habitāns/vīvēns ōrātōrēs multō meliōrēs quam hōs audīvī. 6. Mīlitēs trāns/ultrā flūmen pugnantēs nihilō fortiōrēs nōbīs sunt.
Regarding I.5, I think you are right. It's probably a typo (see here).

II.1 patria is too lofty a word for those stinky barbarians :D (I hope Google won't deplatform me for this! :wink: ). I found in summō perīculō in Cicero, although summō in perīculō is fine too. I just don't want to give too many possibilities.
II.5 Yes, I agree.
Is that really the correct translation for I.1? The indicative fugit is in the present tense. It has no accent on the letter u as it does in the perfect tense. Shouldn't it be flees and not fled?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

You are right. In my mind I had caperētur. I'll correct it.

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

In sentence 2 of ex. 378.I. (2. The eagle, having been stirred by anger, had tried to kill the rest of the birds.), "avis" is singular, isn't it? Therefore, litterarly speaking, shouldn't we translate it "bird" (which is nonsense)? Or otherwise, shouldn't it be "avium"?

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

By the way, you forgot to put the answer to sentence three. Could it be like this?

II. 3. Exploratores profecturi victoriae clamores audiverunt.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Anto wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:42 am In sentence 2 of ex. 378.I. (2. The eagle, having been stirred by anger, had tried to kill the rest of the birds.), "avis" is singular, isn't it? Therefore, litteraraly speaking, shouldn't we translate it "bird" (which is nonsense)? Or otherwise, shouldn't it be "avium"?
avīs (long i is the key) is accusative plural, not genitive singular, and it agrees in number, gender, and case with the adjective reliquās, not like the English "rest". In English we could translate it also as "the remaining birds."
Anto wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:51 am By the way, you forgot to put the answer to sentence three. Could it be like this?

Added. Thanks!

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

bedwere wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:42 pm
Anto wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:42 am In sentence 2 of ex. 378.I. (2. The eagle, having been stirred by anger, had tried to kill the rest of the birds.), "avis" is singular, isn't it? Therefore, litteraraly speaking, shouldn't we translate it "bird" (which is nonsense)? Or otherwise, shouldn't it be "avium"?
avīs (long i is the key) is accusative plural, not genitive singular, and it agrees in number, gender, and case with the adjective reliquās, not like the English "rest". In English we could translate it also as "the remaining birds."
Anto wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:51 am By the way, you forgot to put the answer to sentence three. Could it be like this?

Added. Thanks!
Thank you, now it is clear.