A bit of fun in Rev 9:11

Latin after CDLXXVI
Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

A bit of fun in Rev 9:11

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

The Greek of Rev 9:11

11 ἔχουσιν ἐπʼ αὐτῶν βασιλέα τὸν ἄγγελον τῆς ἀβύσσου, ὄνομα αὐτῷ Ἑβραϊστὶ Ἀβαδδών, καὶ ἐν τῇ Ἑλληνικῇ ὄνομα ἔχει Ἀπολλύων.

I literally laughed out loud (I was on the bus, and attracted a bit of attention), when I read the Latin:

et habebant super se regem angelum abyssi cui nomen hebraice Abaddon graece autem Apollyon et latine habet nomen Exterminans

Besides the added phrase, the Exterminator? Really? :)
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: A bit of fun in Rev 9:11

Post by anphph »

By coincidence, I was reading something about him yesterday when I found a Termagant character in Hamlet (3.2.13).
I would have such a fellow whipped for o'erdoing Termagant - it out-Herods Herod.
From Wikipedia:
European literature from the Middle Ages often referred to Muslims as pagans, with sobriquets such as "the paynim foe". These depictions represent Muslims worshipping Muhammad as a god along with various deities in the form of idols (cult images), ranging from Apollyon to Lucifer, but their chief deity was typically named Termagant. In some writings, such as the eleventh-century Song of Roland, this was combined to create an "unholy Trinity" of sorts composed of Muhammad, Apollyon, and Termagant.