Translation of Lesson LXXV from D'Ooge's book

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Propertius
Textkit Fan

Translation of Lesson LXXV from D'Ooge's book

Post by Propertius »

On pg. 186 in D'Ooge's book and pg. 34 of the answer key

LESSON LXXV
439.I.1. He asked why those troops had been left. They responded that those troops were a guard for the camp. 2. Caesar sent scouts to choose a spot for a camp. 3. Each man thought that the name of Caesar itself would be a great terror to the foreigners. 4. At dawn, the same army commenced a fierce battle, but their significant wounds were a great concern to the general. 5. The king responded that the friendship of the Roman people ought to be an honor and a guard for him. 6. Who was in command of the cavalry that the allies had sent for help to Caesar? 7. To some, good fortunes are the greatest misfortunes and adversities are an amazing advantage. 8. There was a great hindrance for the Gauls at the battle because the cavalry was pressing on the right wing. 9. The memory of former courage was no less a great advantage to us than the fear of the enemy. 10. The forest was so dense that they could not advance.
II.1. Te moneo ut consilium inferendi bellum Gallis fortibus omittas. 2. Scisne ubi equitatus locum castris delegerit? 3. Metus hostium tibi magno usui erit. 4. Caesar tres cohortes praesidio impedimentis reliquit. 5. Hieme fluctus lacus tam magni sunt ut magno impedimento navibus sint. 6. Caesar grave supplicium de iis qui aedificia publica cremaverunt sumpsit.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Translation of Lesson LXXV from D'Ooge's book

Post by bedwere »

Propertius wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:43 am

LESSON LXXV
439.I.1. He asked why those troops had been left. They responded that those troops were a guard for the camp. 2. Caesar sent scouts to choose a spot for a camp. 3. Each man thought that the name of Caesar itself would be a great terror to the foreigners. 4. At dawn, the same army commenced a fierce battle, but their significant wounds were a great concern to the general. 5. The king responded that the friendship of the Roman people ought to be an honor and a guard for him. 6. Who was in command of the cavalry that the allies had sent for help to Caesar? 7. To some, good fortunes are the greatest misfortunes and adversities are an amazing advantage. 8. It was a great hindrance for the Gauls at the battle that the cavalry was pressing on the right wing. 9. The memory of former courage was no less a great advantage to us than the fear of the enemy. 10. The forest was so dense that they could not advance.
II.1. Tē moneō ut cōnsilium īnferendī bellum Gallīs fortibus omittās. 2. Scīsne ubi equitātus locum castrīs dēlēgerit? 3. Metus hostium tibi magnō ūsuī erit. 4. Caesar trēs cohortēs praesidiō impedīmentīs relīquit. 5. Hieme flūctūs lacūs tam magnī sunt ut magnō impedīmentō nāvibus sint. 6. Caesar grave supplicium dē iīs quī aedificia pūblica cremāvērunt sūmpsit.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

In 4, gravia suorum vulnera not “their significant wounds” (that wd be gr.v. eorum) but “his men’s severe wounds”
6 “had sent for help” ambiguous, better “had sent as support”
7 “good fortunes are the greatest misfortunes” ill-phrased, and calamitati singular.
9 nostris not to us but to our men.
II.1 inferendi: bedwere marks in- as long. A mistake?
5. fluctus: is the first u really long, as bedwere marks it? I had thought not.
Hopefully bedwere will set me straight on these.
I haven’t read carefully, and may have missed some things.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

LESSON LXXV
439.I.1. He asked why those troops had been left. They responded that those troops were a guard for the camp. 2. Caesar sent scouts to choose a spot for a camp. 3. Each man thought that the name of Caesar itself would be a great terror to the foreigners. 4. At dawn, the same army commenced a fierce battle, but his men’s serious wounds were a great concern to the general. 5. The king responded that the friendship of the Roman people ought to be an honor and a guard for him. 6. Who was in command of the cavalry that the allies had sent as support to Caesar? 7. To some, good fortunes are of utter loss and adversities are of amazing advantage. 8. It was a great hindrance for the Gauls at the battle that the cavalry was pressing on the right wing. 9. The memory of former courage was no less a great advantage to our men than the fear of the enemy. 10. The forest was so dense that they could not advance.
II.1. Tē moneō ut cōnsilium īnferendī bellum Gallīs fortibus omittās. 2. Scīsne ubi equitātus locum castrīs dēlēgerit? 3. Metus hostium tibi magnō ūsuī erit. 4. Caesar trēs cohortēs praesidiō impedīmentīs relīquit. 5. Hieme fluctūs lacūs tam magnī sunt ut magnō impedīmentō nāvibus sint. 6. Caesar grave supplicium dē iīs quī aedificia pūblica cremāvērunt sūmpsit.

Thank you. For what it's worth, D'Ooge has īnferō

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Any idea why? Surely D’Ooge is not the ultimate authority?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I don't know why, especially since poetry wouldn't be helpful in this case. It's above my pay-grade, as I heard saying. But I found also this:
d. A vowel before -ns, -nf, or -gn, is long.

īnstō
īnfāns
sīgnum
Maybe the n is like a liquescent neume in Gregorian chant, basically disappears, and is compensated by the lengthening of the preceding vowel.

Allen and Greenough /Latin Grammar 603

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Thanks! Once upon a time I knew these things. I belatedly thought of magnus, and some stuff came swimming back..