Ara Pacis

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Ara Pacis

Post by seneca2008 »

I founds this very useful and interesting site (https://www.reed.edu/ara-pacis/) while I was looking for information about Augustus' "Horologium" . My interest was prompted by the discussion of "scrup." (scrupulus) here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=70816

It has many diagrams and pictures relating to the Augustan monuments of the northern Campus Martius.

I can also recommend this article which I can send to anyone who is interested and doesn't have access.

Peter Heslin, Augustus, Domitian and the So-Called Horologium Augusti, The Journal of Roman Studies , 2007, Vol. 97 (2007), pp. 1-20.

There is quite a lot of misleading information around about the "Horologium" so it is useful to have this overview.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ara Pacis

Post by Aetos »

Thank you, Seneca!
I particularly like the application of colour to each of the panels. It must have been a breathtaking sight for visitors of the post Augustan era. The pictures and maps are brilliant! I could have spent the rest of the afternoon looking them over! That other Seneca however is beckoning me back to letter 47!

etcetera
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Ara Pacis

Post by etcetera »

That's awesome, thank you for sharing this! I've been there several times, but I've never seen the light show. I really have to find out if I can go see that next time (whenever that will be :roll: )