Loci immutati 9 On contempt of death

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Loci immutati 9 On contempt of death

Post by Charlie Parker »

I have a question about this excerpt. In line 3 we have
Pari animo Lacedaemonii in Thermopylis occiderunt,...
I see that pari is given as the verb pario in the 2nd sg pres imperat act in the Perseus word study tool. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I take as the ablative of par, paris so that the meaning would be "in like spirit/mind." The comparison would thus be with the aforementioned legions who set off for a place not knowing if they would ever come back. Am I right?

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Loci immutati 9 On contempt of death

Post by Shenoute »

Yes. If the Perseus word study tool shows only 2nd sg pres imperat act of pario as a gloss, then it is not a very reliable tool.

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Post by Charlie Parker »

Thank you. Someone else on the forum said it was not reliable, but so far I have found it quite helpful. I think it works on some kind of statistical analysis to come up with the most likely form for a particular context. I do not profess to understand it.

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seanjonesbw »

Can I recommend the mirror of Perseus at the University of Chicago ('Perseus under Philologic') - the parser is much more reliable and pops up in a neat little box with a link to the Logeion entry. It predicts pari here as having a 100% likelihood of being ablative:

http://artflsrv02.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/ ... c.%201.101

It takes a little while to learn how to navigate a text compared with the Tufts Perseus but it's worth it. The word frequency tool is also much better and you can search for every instance of a particular form or lemma within a text or the whole corpus.

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Post by Charlie Parker »

Thank you so much for sharing that resource. I will use it.