JWW 708

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

JWW 708

Post by Charlie Parker »

I am plodding (at times painfully) through White's First Greek Book. I thought I should post my translations (interpretations) of the sentences in this exercise to see how well I understand. Any corrections or suggestions would be welcome.
1. The enemies no longer stopped (halted).
2. If I am (at all) able, I shall do these things. (I took τι adverbially)
3. They filled the leathen bags with fodder.
4. The Greeks stood up and said that it was time for the guards to take their postions.
5. Attaining the summit, they anticipated the horsemen.
6. But indeed you also know this.
7. He can do nothing else than run away. (I am grasping at straws here.) He is capable of no other course of conduct than to run away. (Or is τοῦτο the subject of δυναται?) The only course of action (left to us) is to run away.
8. They were considering how best they might cross over.
9. Cyrus halted with his bravest men around him.
10. Satisfying the desire of all, he was dismissing them.
11. Let the soldiers halt.
12. Let them know that they did not run away. (I think my translation is ambiguous. I do not mean "Inform them". I mean "They must know" imperative.)

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: JWW 708

Post by seneca2008 »

A few comments. Ask if anything isn't clear. Looks like mostly you understood very well. Well done.

5. Attaining the summit, they anticipated the horsemen.

καὶ?

γενόμενοι being?

6. γε could be at any rate rather indeed. particles are a minefield. "But even this at any rate you know" would be my stab.

7. No other course of conduct is possible than to run away.

10. ἐμπιμπλὰς is a participle and ἀπέπεμπεν although in the imperfect is best translated as the simple past. So.. when he had satisfied ...he dismissed them.

12. ἐπιστάσθων is an imperative so perhaps "let them know full well" not leaving out the εὖ may make your meaning clearer.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

1. I think on reflection this might be "no longer made a stand" (οὐκέτι ἔστησαν)
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Post by Charlie Parker »

Thank you very much, Seneca. I had not thought of the possibility "make a stand" for ἵστημι. I suppose you mean "to put up further resistance." I just found the sense "to stand firm" in Liddell & Scott and they cite Xenophon. For no. 5, I think that the aorist participle expresses punctual aspect (am I right to call it that?). "And since they were on the summit, they anticipated the horsemen." I am not sure how to translate γενόμενοι.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

I suppose you mean "to put up further resistance."
Yes that's right. most of this stuff comes from Xenophon so its best to look for a military meaning that makes sense.

On 5 I thought it was something like "being on the summit" but I have now looked in Smyth and in d. 2094 we have the very phrase which he translates as "they anticipated the enemy in getting upon the summit (they got to the summit before the enemy)"

If you read the article I think the aspect will become clear. http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... tion%3D132

I dont think "since" is quite right.

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Post by Charlie Parker »

Many thanks. That article is, indeed, most helpful.