JWW LXXVIII 723

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

JWW LXXVIII 723

Post by Charlie Parker »

I have a few questions about some of the sentences in this exercise. First of all, I wonder if all of these are taken in some form or another from the Anabasis. If so, it would help if I could see the broader context. I tried searching in Perseus and under Philologic without success. Perhaps someone can tell me how to search for phrases. Here are my attempts at translation:
2. "But the others stopped, being in doubt about the situation." I am not sure how to take πρᾶγμα here.
4. "Having taken those who had crossed first, he went away." I am sure I have completely misunderstood this sentence. I cannot make sense of it. I believe that ᾤχετο is an imperfect middle. According to Liddell and Scott, the imperfect has a pluperfect sense, which would give "he had gone."
8. "For the Greeks did not know that Cyrus was dead, but they supposed either that he had gone (after) pursuing (them for awhile) or that he had ridden forward a ways about to be left behind." I am not sure I understand the function of τι here.
12. "For I am conscious that I have deceived him in every way." I do not know how to take the dative ἐμαυτῷ.
I would be grateful for any help.

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: JWW LXXVIII 723

Post by Shenoute »

I can't really help with the Greek but here are the passages from which the sentences are taken/adapted:
2. Anabasis 1.5.13
4. Hellenica 7.2.3
8. Anabasis 1.10.16
12. Anabasis 1.3.10

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Post by Charlie Parker »

Thank you kindly. Might I ask how you found them? I would like to be able to do that.

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Post by Charlie Parker »

Actually, I have tried both the Perseus Greek version and the Gutenberg translation and I can't locate those references.
Edit I must apologize, Shenoute. I see my error. I have indeed found those references.
Last edited by Charlie Parker on Fri May 21, 2021 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

Hi Charlie,
I looked these up in the TLG (Thesaurus Linguae Graecae):
2. X Anabasis, Βοοκ 1 v., 13-14 (tlg using ἀποροῦντες τῷ πράγματι)
4. Χ Ηellenica, Book 7 chapter 2 section 3 (προδιαβεβῶτας)
8. Χ Αnabasis, Book 1 chapter 10 section 16
12. Χ Αnabasis, Book 1 chapter 3 section 10
Here's the URL:

http://stephanus.tlg.uci.edu/index.php

Basically, I use a word or phrase that I guess might have the least frequent usage, thus limiting the potential number of results.
On sentence 2, ἀποροῦντες τῷ πράγματι is a circumstantial participle with a dative of cause, so your translation is pretty close.
You could have translated it also as "they stopped because they were in doubt as to the situation".
On 4. the pluperfect "he had gone" is appropriate. Once you read the context, you'll see this is one of the reasons given for the Lacedaemonians returning to Sparta. The desertion of their guide was an action completed in the past.
On 8, καταληψόμενος is the given form for the future, so I suspect here it's being used in the middle voice with an active meaning to indicate purpose. They supposed Cyrus was giving chase after he had routed Artaxerxes' centre.
On 12, Perhaps σύνοιδα ἐμαυτῷ=I see by myself=I am conscious of

I'm sure mwh or hylander or seneca will be able to give you better guidance.

P.S. On the TLG site, go to 'Abridged TLG', then 'Text Search'

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Post by Charlie Parker »

Thank you very much Aetos. I have bookmarked that site. It will prove very useful. Now, I see my error. It is the future participle of καταλαμβάνω. I did not parse it correctly.

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

You're most welcome, Charlie! One thing-I need to correct my statement about Cyrus "routing Artaxerxes centre". Cyrus did see Artaxerxes exposed and went to attack him directly but was enveloped by A's army. The Greeks, however were victorious in their area of operation, causing a general retreat of the Persians.