JWW LXXX 734

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

JWW LXXX 734

Post by Charlie Parker »

This may very well be the last question I post on White's First Greek Book. I have finally finished reading a book I started 45 years ago. In university I took two introductory classical Greek courses, one in Homer, the other in Plato. I acquired White's book somewhere. I was in Divinity school and I believe it belonged to an alumnus who had probably long since passed away. At the time, I rushed through the grammar lessons without doing any of the exercises. Here is my interpretation of sentence 6: "It is (would be) best that we be sent as quickly as possible to the summit." I didn't really know any other way to take κρἀτιστον and I think ἵεσθαι is passive. Am I terribly off the mark?

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: JWW LXXX 734

Post by seanjonesbw »

Congratulations! It's a huge achievement getting through any Greek book on your own. I hope you have a small celebration planned to mark the occasion.

Full sentence: κράτιστον ἡμῖν ἵεσθαι ὡς τάχιστα ἐπὶ τὸ ἄκρον.

I think you need only need once extra piece of information to get the sense here (you seem to have correctly taken κράτιστον ἡμῖν together):

ἵημι - LSJ, A.II.1 : Med., speed oneself, hasten

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Post by Charlie Parker »

Thank you. I should have thought to look in the LSJ. It is perfectly clear to me now.

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seanjonesbw »

You're welcome - and as a saxophonist myself can I just offer a tip of the hat to your choice of username.