About Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix

CMatthiasT88
Textkit Member

About Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix

Post by CMatthiasT88 »

My professor of Roman History describes the Roman consul and general Sulla negatively. However my reading of him was somewhat favorable. What is your opinion of him?

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: About Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

CMatthiasT88 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:15 am My professor of Roman History describes the Roman consul and general Sulla negatively. However my reading of him was somewhat favorable. What is your opinion of him?

Well, he's an historical figure, and it's sometimes questionable what standards we might use evaluate him. Excellent general, won several major campaigns and that was good for the Republic in the geopolitic of their day. On the other hand he seized power forcibly and created proscription lists of his enemies whom he duly set about having executed in various ways. Historically I'm more interested in his influence at the time and the long time effects of his life and rule, rather than applying moral judgments.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Veniam petō! :D

CMatthiasT88
Textkit Member

Post by CMatthiasT88 »

My own moral standard is informed largely by Christianity, however I cannot evaluate Sulla by this standard because he predates Christ. So therefore I would tend to evaluate him through a classical Roman view of what makes a good man and what makes a bad one; and this seems to involve philosophy and perhaps the 4 classical virtues.

This being said, our text paints him as being an agent of the traditional Republic with his major rival being Marius, one who became aligned with the Roman and Italian populist movements and the actions of the Gracchus brothers. These populist movements seem destructive overall to the health and longevity of the Roman polis.

Supposedly, when Sulla and his consular collegue blocked legislation to expand citizenship to broader Italy, he was nearly killed by a mob and compelled under duress to pass the bill. He then left Rome and returned with his legions capturing the city and issuing the proscriptions in order to preserve the Republic. I wonder if at any point he was acting unjustly, immoderately, unwisely, or cowardly?

Cornelius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cornelius »

Dear Mr. Hofstetter,

Just off the top of my head (a top which in no way reaches a lofty height), although Sulla defeated Marius, it was ultimately those of the Marius "faction" (i.e. Julius Caesar) who finally "won."

I appreciate your point of view vis-a-vis Sulla. I get the sense of Sulla as one who said, "See what horrible slaughter happens when you don't adhere to proper Republican mores? Try not to do this again." Caesar, I think, can be seen as recognising that the gig was up: the Republic was only ever going to produce civil war and needed a strongman to survive as it was: already a huge empire.

I say "can be seen," as I doubt Caesar thought of it in those terms (though it's not impossible). He can be said to have behaved in a very Roman way throughout, to generalise.

Hard to say. Fascinating topic of discussion. Thanks.

Cornelius

CMatthiasT88
Textkit Member

Post by CMatthiasT88 »

Why couldn't the traditional Republic administer such a large territory effectively?

Cornelius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cornelius »

Oh, wow, a reply. I'm delighted.

Can I have a bit of time to formulate my response?

CMatthiasT88
Textkit Member

Post by CMatthiasT88 »

Yes, please take your time.