reponi posse intelligerem atque insuper spectatas Stellas semper easdem
fuisse cognoscerem (nullæ enim aliæ, aut præcedentes, aut consequentes,
intra magnum intervallum iuxta longitudinem Zodiaci
aderant), iam ambiguitatem in admirationem permutans, apparentem
commutationem, non in Iove, sed in Stellis adnotatis repositam
esse comperi; ac proinde oculate et scrupulose magis deinceps observandum
fore sum ratus.

Here are my questions:
  • 1 In the second line I find reponi (to be replaced, restored, etc.), but I can't make sense of it. What is the object of the infinitive? And maybe a different meaning? I don't think he's referring to changes in Jupiter.
  • 2 In the fifth line, there is permutans (nom sing participle); what is it modifying? I can't find likely candidates
  • 3 In the sixth line, there is repositam (acc fem sing); what is it modifying? Also can't find candidates.
Thanks for any help.

Wilbur

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Galileo 3

Post by bedwere »

Wilbur wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:58 am I
  • 1 In the second line I find reponi (to be replaced, restored, etc.), but I can't make sense of it. What is the object of the infinitive? And maybe a different meaning? I don't think he's referring to changes in Jupiter.
  • 2 In the fifth line, there is permutans (nom sing participle); what is it modifying? I can't find likely candidates
  • 3 In the sixth line, there is repositam (acc fem sing); what is it modifying? Also can't find candidates.
1) mutationes consimiles is the subject.
2) Ego/Galilaeus
3) apparentem commutationem,

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

cumque mutationes consimiles in Ioue nulla ratione reponi posse intellegerem -- I think this means something like "when I saw that changes in configuration like these [mutationes consimiles] could by no rational means be attributed to Jupiter." reponi in Ioue -- literally "placed in Jupiter."

At first he thought the changes in the configuration of what he thought were fixed stars in relation to Jupiter were attributable to Jupiter's motion against the fixed stars -- secus a computo astronomico, "in disagreement with astronomical calculations" -- but now, seeing the new configuration of the same "stars" and Jupiter, he realizes that it isn't possible to attribute the change to Jupiter's motion.

ambigutatem in admirationem permutans -- "exchanging my puzzlement for amazement, I discovered that the apparent change in configuration was attributable not to Jupiter, but to the said stars; and I decided that henceforth I would have to observe by eye [?oculate; not sure about this] and more carefully each time."
Bill Walderman

Wilbur
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Wilbur »

bedwere,

How does one determine that Ego is the subject that permutans modifies when there is no specific reference? How do you reason that out? I don't think I would ever have figured that out.

Hylander,

I tracked down oculate as an adverb meaning "visible, or, with eyes," related to the adj oculatus . Can't remember where.
And thanks for the help with the translation; I was pretty close to your understanding, but could not get the translation to fall into place. I guess that's the difference between understanding the Latin and translating to English.

Thanks to you both.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Wilbur wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:41 am bedwere,

How does one determine that Ego is the subject that permutans modifies when there is no specific reference? How do you reason that out? I don't think I would ever have figured that out.

I found the main verb, comperi, and saw it is in the first person singular. So permutans (nominative, singular) can only refer to the subject of comperi, ego. However, as you probably know, we don't use ego unless we want to stress the subject (I myself). So I see how it may be difficult the first time to spot.

Wilbur
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Wilbur »

Thanks for the explanation. Very helpful and noted for the future!