List of NT-specific words

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Jean Putmans
Textkit Neophyte

List of NT-specific words

Post by Jean Putmans »

Is there a list of Greek words, that for the first time were used in the NT?

Εκγαμιζω seems to be one. This compound didn‘t exist in pre-NT-time.
It appears in byzantine editions (Robinson-Pierpont; Pickering) in Mt 22:30, 24:38, Lk 17:27, 20:34, 20:35, 1Cor 7:38), and in Mk 12:25 in at least 26 mss.
The textcritical editions have there γαμιζω.
In some mss. Correctors changed γαμιζω to εκγαμιζω (59, 69, 279, 792, 1780, 2766, L211), but I found not a single correction εκγαμιζω > γαμιζω.

bcrowell
Textkit Fan

Re: List of NT-specific words

Post by bcrowell »

This is an interesting question. If you're willing to do some work on a specific word, then you can, for example, look it up in a concordance of the Septuagint like Hatch and Redpath https://archive.org/details/HatchRedpat ... 1/mode/1up . I believe many of the NT writers were basing a lot of their vocabulary on the Septuagint. You can also look it up on U Chicago's logeion tool: https://logeion.uchicago.edu/%E1%BC%90% ... E%B6%CF%89

Doing that for ἐκγαμίζω (link above) does turn up a bunch of usages from outside the NT, but to find out when those were from, you'd have to look in DGE's list of sources: http://dge.cchs.csic.es/lst/2lst1.htm

CGL doesn't list this word.

For a word like this that is just a preposition tacked onto the front of a verb, I don't know whether it totally makes sense to consider it as an innovation that would date to a certain time. The language just tends to do that freely.

It would definitely be very interesting to have some sort of a machine-readable list of the type you describe. For example, you could play with it and see if you could identify vocabulary that is in Matthew and Luke but not in Mark, or in the deutero-Pauline letters but not in authentic Paul.
Ben Crowell, Fullerton, California
Ransom is an innovative presentation of Homer made with open-source software: https://bitbucket.org/ben-crowell/ransom

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

In all of these instances, is the prefix εκ- attached to passive γαμιζονται or γαμισκονται, i.e., the verb that refers to the bride in a marriage? I couldn't determine whether that's the case from my edition. If so, εκ- would seem to have been borrowed from the passive of ἐκδίδωμι, meaning "to give in marriage", which describes the role of the father or male guardian of the bride in a marriage ceremony; the passive would of course describe the bride's role. Maybe at some point the εκ- compound came into currency as the technical term for the bride's/wife's role in a marriage, without specific reference to the wedding ceremony in which the bride was conceptually "given away."
Bill Walderman

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Also note γαμίσκω, a laterish form, found in the earliest manuscripts of the Gospels.

The εκ- forms, at least in the TLG, don't start appearing in the quotations of the various Gospel passages by the Fathers until the fourth century, when all of a sudden they all are common.

Quoting Luke 20:34

Origen: οἱ υἱοὶ τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου γεννῶσι καὶ γεννῶνται, γαμοῦσι καὶ γαμίσκοντα...
Eusebius: οἱ υἱοὶ τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου γαμοῦσιν καὶ γαμίσκοντα...
Basilius: Οἱ υἱοὶ τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου γαμοῦσι καὶ ἐκγαμίζονται...

(Origen's version is interesting, isn't it?)

Of course, the TLG doesn't contain any apparatus for those, so it would need to be verified in critical editions.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Jean Putmans
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jean Putmans »

An overview of majuscule and minuscule ms-NT-witnesses of εκγαμιζω/εκγαμισκω can be downloaded as a pdf from my google-drive with this link :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pm5JoN ... sp=sharing

Jean Putmans
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jean Putmans »

Sorry, I hadn‘t opened the link for everybody with the link. Fixed that.

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

Hi all, to answer the OP's question about a list of words that occur first in the NT, I think I've figured out a way of getting a rough version of such a list, although it's quite laborious. (I'm not aware of such a list in any of the existing books on NT vocab).

Basically if you can get two lists:
(1) NT vocab, and
(2) as full a list of pre-NT vocab as possible,
you can use Excel's match function to identify words in list (1) which don't appear in list (2).

I had a first (very rough) go at doing this just using Perseus' rather error-prone vocabulary tool. Steps:
  • Run a vocab list on the NT, table format. Pull out the second column (i.e. the words) and run through Excel's "remove duplicates". That gives a rough (error-prone of course) list for (1).
  • Do the same for pre-NT authors to build a list (2). Perseus made me do it in small batches to avoid the server crashing or something, and so I ran out of stamina when I added Homer, Hesiod, Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, Theocritus, Pindar, Hippocrates, Plato, Aristotle (other than Constit. Ath.: crashes), Euripides, Aeschylus, Aristophanes, Sophocles, Dionysius Halicarn., Polybius, Aeschines, Demosthenes, Lycurgus, Lysias, etc.: I stopped here after the server kept crashing
  • Put the two lists in columns in Excel: column A for pre-NT vocab, column B for NT vocab. Row A is for headings and so the lists start in row B if you get my drift
  • Select all column A and name the range "ColumnToSearch"
  • In cell C2 (i.e. alongside the first NT entry in B2), insert the formula =MATCH(B2,ColumnToSearch,0)
  • Drag the formula down for each other cell in column C so that it applies to each NT word in column B
  • Apply a filter to column C and only show the rows with the value #N/A. These are words in your NT list (1) which are not in the pre-NT list (2).
  • Now look up these words in LSJ and TLG to check whether they occur first in the NT.
The list will not be perfect, for a few reasons: (a) errors in Perseus' tool, (b) the fact that your list (2) is not comprehensive for all pre-NT texts, etc. However, just randomly flicking through the list that I produced in this way in about 40 minutes of Perseus and Excel grunt-work, some words seem to qualify (based on a very quick skim), e.g. (randomly near the start of the list) ἀφθορία, ἀνακαίνωσις, ἀνεύθετος etc.

Cheers, Chad

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

PS if you want to see the initial list that came out of that 40 mins of work, it's below. It's got lots of errors in it: a more accurate list would require following that process I mentioned for many more hours, and getting vocab from other pre-NT texts which are not on Perseus: especially LXX!. But you'll find some true positives in this list if you hunt around:

Πύθων, Πυθών, Σάββατον, Σαββατισμός, Σύρα, Τυφωνικός, ἁδροτής, ἁγιασμός, ἁγιότης, ἁγιωσύνη, ἁγνότης, ἁλιεύω, ἁμαρτωλή, ἁρπαγμός, ἄγναφος, ἄλαλος, ἄντλημα, ἄθεσμος, ἄσπιλος, ἄψινθος, ἀδελφότης, ἀφεδρών, ἀφειδία, ἀφελότης, ἀφιλάγαθος, ἀφιλάργυρος, ἀφόρισις, ἀφθαρσία, ἀφθορία, ἀφυπνόω, ἀγαλλίασις, ἀγαλλιάω, ἀγαθοποιέω, ἀγαθοποιία, ἀγαθοποιός, ἀγαθωσύνη, ἀγενεαλόγητος, ἀγγαρεύω, ἀγνόημα, ἀκατάγνωστος, ἀκατάκριτος, ἀκροβυστία, ἀκρογωνιαῖος, ἀλαζονίας, ἀλεκτοροφωνία, ἀλίσγημα, ἀλλαχόθεν, ἀλληγορέω, ἀλλογενής, ἀμάραντος, ἀμαράντινος, ἀμέθυστος, ἀμετανόητος, ἀμφοδέω, ἀνάγαιον, ἀνάκαμψις, ἀνάχυσις, ἀνάψυξις, ἀναγεννάω, ἀνακαίνωσις, ἀνακαινίζω, ἀνακαινόω, ἀναθεματίζω, ἀναθεωρέω, ἀνατάσσω, ἀναζώννυμι, ἀνέκλειπτος, ἀνέλεος, ἀνεξίκακος, ἀνεξιχνίαστος, ἀνεκδιήγητος, ἀνεκλάλητος, ἀνελεήμων, ἀνεμίζομαι, ἀνεπαίσχυντος, ἀνεύθετος, ἀνθρωπάρεσκος, ἀνταπόδομα, ἀνταποκρίνομαι, ἀντίλυτρον, ἀντίχριστος, ἀντιδιατίθεμαι, ἀντιλοιδορέω, ἀντιμετρέω, ἀντιμισθία, ἀντιπαρέρχομαι, ἀνυπόκριτος, ἀνυποτακτέω, ἀνωτερικός, ἀπάρνησις, ἀπαράβατος, ἀπαύγασμα, ἀπέκδυσις, ἀπείραστος, ἀπεκδέχομαι, ἀπεκδύομαι, ἀπελεγμός, ἀπερίτμητος, ἀποδεκατεύω, ἀποδεκατόω, ἀποφορτίζομαι, ἀποφθέγγομαι, ἀποκάλυψις, ἀποκαραδοκία, ἀποκαταλλάσσω, ἀποκυέω, ἀποθησαυρίζω, ἀπορφανίζω, ἀποσκίασμα, ἀποστασία, ἀποστεγάζω, ἀποσυνάγωγος, ἀθέτησις, ἀργυροκόπος, ἀρκετός, ἀρότριος, ἀροτριάω, ἀροτριάζω, ἀροτριόω, ἀρσενοκοίτης, ἀρτιγέννητος, ἀρχάγγελος, ἀρχιεράομαι, ἀρχιποίμην, ἀρχισυνάγωγος, ἀρχιτελώνης, ἀρχιτρίκλινος, ἀσθένημα, ἀστήρικτος, ἀχειροποίητος, αἱματεκχυσία, αἱμορροέω, αἱρετίζω, αἱρετικός, αἰτίωμα, αἰχμαλωτεύω, αἰχμαλωτίζω, αὐτοκατάκριτος, βάπτισις, βάπτισμα, βάψις, βαπτισμός, βαπτιστής, βασανισμός, βδέλυγμα, βήρυλλος, βιαστής, βιαστός, βιβλαρίδιον, βλητέον, βλητέος, βολίζω, βραβεῖον, βραδυπλοέω, βροχίς, βρυγμός, δαιμονίζομαι, δαιμονιώδης, δανίζω, δεξιολάβος, δειγματίζω, δεσμίας, δεσμοφύλαξ, δηνάριον, δίλογος, δίψυχος, διάρπασις, διαγογγύζω, διαγρηγορέω, διακαθαρίζω, διακατελέγχομαι, διαπαρατριβή, διασπορά, διασπορεύς, διαταγή, διδακτικός, διενθυμέομαι, διερμηνευτής, διετία, δικαιοκρισία, διθάλασσος, διυλίζω, διχοτόμησις, δόμα, δογματίζω, δουλαγωγέω, δουλαγωγός, δυναμόω, δυσβάστακτος, δυσερμήνευτος, δυσνόητος, δωδεκάφυλος, ἕλιγμα, ἑβδομηκοντάκις, ἑδραίωμα, ἑτεροδιδασκαλέω, ἑτεροζυγέω, ἑτοιμασία, ἔξυπνος, ἔκπαλαι, ἔκτρωμα, ἔλευσις, ἔμπαιγμα, ἔναντι, ἔνταλμα, ἔντρομος, ἐξάλειψις, ἐξάπινα, ἐξανατέλλω, ἐξαρτίζω, ἐξαστράπτω, ἐξαυτῆς, ἐξέραμα, ἐξισχύω, ἐξολεθρεύω, ἐξουδενέω, ἐξουθενέω, ἐξουθενόω, ἐξυπνίζω, ἐφάπαξ, ἐφευρετής, ἐγγαρεύω, ἐγκαινίζω, ἐγκομβόομαι, ἐκμυκτηρίζω, ἐκνήφω, ἐκπερισσῶς, ἐκπορνεύω, ἐκθαμβέομαι, ἐκθέτης, ἐκριζόω, ἐκτένεια, ἐκψύχω, ἐκζήτησις, ἐκζητέω, ἐλαφρία, ἐλεγμός, ἐλεημοσύνη, ἐμπαίκτης, ἐμπαιγμός, ἐμπαιγμονή, ἐναγκαλίζομαι, ἐνδιδύσκω, ἐνδοξάζομαι, ἐνδύναμος, ἐνδυναμόω, ἐνδώμησις, ἐνειλέω, ἐννεύω, ἐνταφιασμός, ἐντυπόω, ἐνωτίζομαι, ἐπαφρίζω, ἐπαγωνίζομαι, ἐπαναπαύομαι, ἐπαθροίζομαι, ἐπαρχεία, ἐπενδύτης, ἐπίβλημα, ἐπιδιατάσσομαι, ἐπιδιόρθωσις, ἐπιδιορθόομαι, ἐπιδιορθόω, ἐπιδύω, ἐπιφαύω, ἐπιφώσκω, ἐπιγάμβρευσις, ἐπιγαμβρεύω, ἐπικάλυμμα, ἐπιούσιος, ἐπιπόθησις, ἐπιπόθητος, ἐπιρράπτω, ἐπισκέπτης, ἐπισκιάω, ἐπιστηρίζω, ἐπισυναγωγή, ἐπισυντρέχω, ἐπισωρεύω, ἐπιχορηγία, ἐθνάρχης, ἐρίφιον, εἰδωλόθυτος, εἰδωλολάτρης, εἰδωλολατρία, εἰρηνοποιέω, εὔσπλαγχνος, εὐαγγελιστής, εὐδοκία, εὐλογητός, εὐμετάδοτος, εὐνουχίζω, εὐοδόω, εὐπάρεδρος, εὐπερίστατος, εὐποιία, εὐπρόσδεκτος, φανέρωσις, φειδομένως, φίμωσις, φιλαδελφέω, φιλαδελφία, φιλοπρωτεύω, φραγέλλιον, φραγελλόω, φρεναπάτης, φρεναπατάω, φύραμα, φυλακίζω, φυσίωσις, φώνησις, φώτισις, φωλεός, φωστήρ, φωτισμός, γαμίζω, γαζοφυλάκιον, γαζοφυλακέω, γέεννα, γένημα, γῆρος, γλωσσόκομον, γλωσσόκομος, γνόφος, γογγύζω, γογγυσμός, γογγυστής, γραώδης, γυμνιτεύω, γυναικάριον, ἥττημα, ἡδύοσμος, ἱεράτευμα, ἱερατεύω, ἱλαρότης, ἱλασμός, ἱλαστήριος, ἰσάγγελος, ἰχθύδιον, κακουχέω, καλλιέλαιος, καλοδιδάσκαλος, καλοποιέω, καθάρισις, καθαρίζω, καθαρισμός, καθεξῆς, καθώσπερ, καρδιόω, καρδιογνώστης, κατάδουλος, κατάκρισις, κατάνυξις, κατάθεμα, κατάργησις, κατάρτισις, κατάσχεσις, καταβαρύνω, καταφρονητής, καταγγελεύς, κατακαυχάομαι, κατακληρονομέω, κατακόπτης, κατακυριεύω, καταλαλιά, καταλιθάζω, καταναρκάομαι, καταναρκάω, κατανύσσομαι, καταπέτασμα, καταθεματίζω, καταρτισμός, κατασοφίζομαι, καταστολή, καταστρηνιάω, κατατομή, κατέναντι, κατεξουσιάζω, κατεφίσταμαι, κατείδωλος, κατενώπιον, κατευλογέω, κατιόομαι, κατοικητήριον, κατοικητήριος, κατοπτρίζω, καύχησις, καυματίζω, καυστηριάζω, κεφαλίζω, κενοφωνία, κεράτια, κερατέα, κερατία, κερατίζω, κερματιστής, κῆνσος, κλινάριον, κλυδωνίζομαι, κόκκινος, κοδράντης, κοφινόομαι, κοιτών, κολαφίζω, κολλούριον, κολλυβιστής, κολωνία, κοπιάτης, κοράσιον, κορβᾶν, κοσμικός, κοσμοκράτωρ, κουστωδία, κρατητός, κρυσταλλίζω, κτήτωρ, κυκλεύω, κυλισμός, κυριακός, κυριότης, κωμόπολις, λάμψις, λάτρευσις, λαξευτός, λαμά, λέντιον, λεγιώνη, λειτουργικός, λεπρόομαι, λογομαχέω, λογομαχία, λύτρωσις, λυτρωτής, λυτρωτός, λυχνία, λυχνίας, μάκελλον, μάννα, μακρόθυμος, μακροθυμέω, μακροθυμία, μακροχρόνιος, μαθήτρια, μαθητεύω, μαράν, μαργαρίτης, μαρμαρόω, ματαιότης, ματαιολόγος, ματαιολογέω, ματαιολογία, μεγαλειότης, μεγαλωσύνη, μεγιστᾶνες, μεμβράνα, μεμψίμοιρος, μεσότοιχον, μεσότοιχος, μεσουράνημα, μεταδότης, μεταμορφόω, μετασχημάτισις, μετοικεσία, μετριοπαθέω, μηλωτή, μίσθιος, μισθαποδότης, μισθαποδοσία, μόρφωσις, μογιλάλος, μοιχαλίς, μολυσμός, μορφόω, μοσχοποιέω, μύλινος, μύλος, μυκτηρίζω, μυλικός, μυλόομαι, μωρολογία, νάρδον, νάρδος, νέκρωσις, νεόφυτος, νησίον, νιπτήρ, νομοδιδάσκαλος, νυχθήμερον, νυχθήμερος, ὁδήγησις, ὁλοκαύτωμα, ὁλοκληρία, ὁλοτελής, ὁροθεσία, ὀκταήμερος, ὀλιγόπιστος, ὀλιγόψυχος, ὀλοθρεύω, ὀλοθρευτής, ὀνάριον, ὀνικός, ὀπτάζομαι, ὀπτασία, ὀρθοποδέω, ὀρθοτομέω, ὀρθρινός, ὀχλοποιέω, ὀχθίζω, ὀψάριον, ὀψίον, οἰκετεία, οἰκιακός, οἰκοδεσπότης, οἰκοδεσποτέω, οἰκουργός, οὐαί, οὐράνη, πάσχα, παγιδεύω, παιδιόθεν, παντοκράτωρ, παράκουσις, παραβατέω, παραβολεύομαι, παραφρονία, παραλυτικός, παραπικρασμός, παραζηλόω, παρείσακτος, παρεκτός, παροικία, παροργίζω, παροργισμός, παροτρύνω, πατριάρχης, πειρασμός, πεισμονή, πεποίθησις, πεπτός, περίθεσις, περίσσευμα, περίσσευσις, περίψημα, περιαστράπτω, περιξέω, περικάθαρμα, περικρατέω, περικρατής, περικρύπτω, περιλάμπω, περιπάτησις, περιπείρω, περιποίησις, περισσεία, περιτομεύς, περιτομή, περπερεύομαι, πηδαλιόομαι, πικρασμός, πινακίδιον, πλεόνασις, πληροφορέω, πληροφορία, πνευματικός, πνικτός, πολιτάρχης, πολύσπλαγχνος, πολύτιμος, πορφυροπώλης, ποταμοφόρητος, πραιτώριον, πρεσβυτέριον, πρόκριμα, πρόσκομμα, πρόσπεινος, πρόσχυσις, προαιτιάομαι, προαμαρτάνω, προβατικός, προελπίζω, προενάρχομαι, προεπαγγέλλομαι, προφητεία, προφητικός, προκαταγγέλλω, προκαταρτίζω, προκυρόομαι, προμαρτύρομαι, προμεριμνάω, προορίζω, προσάββατον, προσδαπανάω, προσευχή, προσφάγιον, προσήλυτος, προσκαρτέρησις, προσκληρόομαι, προσκυνητής, προσκυνητός, προσλαλέω, προσπήγνυμι, προσπήσσω, προσρήγνυμι, πρωινός, πρωτοκαθεδρία, πρωτοκλισία, πρωτοτόκια, πρωτοτοκία, πτόησις, πτύρομαι, πύρωσις, πωρέω, πωρόω, θέλημα, θεατρίζω, θειότης, θειώδης, θελημός, θεματίζω, θεόμαχος, θεόπνευστος, θεότης, θεοδίδακτος, θεομάχος, θηριομαχέω, θλῖψις, θύινος, θυσιαστήριον, θυσιαστήριος, ῥάπισμα, ῥαφίς, ῥαντίζω, ῥαντισμός, ῥομφαία, ῥυπαρία, σάπφειρος, σάτον, σαγήνη, σαγηνεύς, σαγηνευτήρ, σαρδόνυξ, σαργάνη, σαρκικός, σαρόω, σειρόω, σεληνιάζομαι, σφυδρόν, σφυρίς, σημικίνθιον, σηρικός, σητόβρωτος, σίκερα, σίναπι, σικάριος, σιμικίνθιον, σινιάζω, σιρικόν, σιτιστής, σιτιστός, σιτομέτριον, σκάνδαλον, σκάνδαλος, σκανδάλη, σκανδαλίζω, σκανδαλόω, σκήνωσις, σκηνοπηγία, σκηνοποιός, σκληροκαρδία, σκορπιόομαι, σκύβαλον, σκωληκόβρωτος, σμαράγδινος, σμυρνίζω, σουδάριον, σπεκουλάτωρ, σπλαγχνίζομαι, σπλαγχνίζω, στεῖρος, στερέωμα, στήριξις, στρῆνος, στρηνής, στρηνιάω, στρηνός, στρουθίας, στρουθίον, στρουθίων, στρουθίζω, σύμμορφος, σύντριμμα, σύντριψις, σύρον, σύσσημον, συγγενίς, συγκακοπαθέω, συγκακουχέομαι, συγκοινωνός, συκομορέα, συλαγωγέω, συμβούλιον, συμφυλέτης, συμμερίζω, συμμορφίζομαι, συμμορφόομαι, συμπνίγω, συναιχμάλωτος, συνανάκειμαι, συναναμίγνυμι, συναναπαύομαι, συναθλέω, συναρμολογέομαι, συναρμολογέω, συνέκδημος, συνεκλεκτός, συνηλικιώτης, συνόμιλος, συνοδεύω, συνοδία, συνομιλέω, συνομορέω, συνοχέω, συνοχεύς, συνθρύπτω, συνυπουργέω, συσπαράσσω, συσταυρόομαι, σωφρονισμός, σχίσμα, σχισμή, ταμεῖον, ταπεινόφρων, ταπεινοφροσύνη, τεφρόω, τεκνίον, τεκνογονία, τεκνοτροφέω, τελώνιον, τετράδιον, τριετία, τροποφορέω, τροχίας, τροχιά, τροχιάζω, τροχιός, τρυμαλιά, τυμπανίζω, τυπικός, ὕσσωπος, ὕψωμα, ὕψωσις, ὑάλεος, ὑπακοή, ὑπέρακμος, ὑπεραυξάνω, ὑπερέκεινα, ὑπερεκπερισσοῦ, ὑπερεκτείνω, ὑπερεντυγχάνω, ὑπερλίαν, ὑπερνικάω, ὑπερπερίσσως, ὑπερπερισσεύομαι, ὑπερπερισσεύω, ὑπερπερισσῶς, ὑπερπλεονάζω, ὑπερυψόω, ὑπογραμμός, ὑπολήνιον, ὑποπόδιον, ὑποστολή, ὑποτύπωσις, ὑστέρημα, ὑστέρησις, ὑψηλοφρονέω, υἱοθεσία, ὠτάριον, ὠτίον, χάρισμα, χαλιναγωγέω, χαλιναγωγός, χαλκηδών, χαλκολίβανον, χαραγμή, χειραγωγός, χοικός, χορήγησις, χρηστεύομαι, χρηστολογία, χρίστης, χρυσόλιθος, χρυσόπρασος, χρυσοδακτύλιος, ψευδάδελφος, ψευδαπόστολος, ψευδόχριστος, ψευδοδιδάσκαλος, ψευδοπροφήτης, ψιθυρισμός, ψιχίον, ψώχω, ψωμίον, ζεστός, ζηλεύω, ζιζάνιον, ζύμη, ζῶγρος, ζωογόνησις, ζωογονέω, ζωοποίησις, ζωοποιέω

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

The sixth word, Τυφωνικός, seems to be the first real positive. (Πύθων!) After that ἁγνότης.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Jean Putmans
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jean Putmans »

That's great!
….. (my spoiler:) εκγαμιζω/εκγαμισκω is not in the list, probably because your list of NT-words is based on the NA/UBS-edition, whilst the byzantine editions have sometimes differnet vocab.

But nevertheless: you did a great job, in a very short time.

I am in fact surprised, that such a list hasn't been made before.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

What’s immediately striking is how very many there are! Largely readily formed compounds, however.
Some you wouldn’t expect pre-NT or are distinctively NT, e.g. ετεροδιδασκαλεω, εξουθενεω/οω, but others surprise me, e.g. θεομάχος (if correctly included). ευοδοω doesn’t belong. I expect there are a fair number of Pauline coinages, or apparent Pauline coinages—we must remember how very limited the corpus is.

I’ve only glanced at a small section.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

About 4/5ths of the words are bad inclusions, if random checks are indicative.

I think that I've seen θεομάχος discussed as evidence of possible Euripides influence:

πρὸς θεὸν γὰρ ὢν ἀνὴρ / ἐς μάχην ἐλθεῖν ἐτόλμησε

(Unless I'm promoting a personal idea of my own through forgetfulness. But I seem to recall that I read this suggestion somewhere.)

EDIT: It is discussed in several places. Euripides also uses θεομαχεῖν

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

Yes please, take the above really as a way that such a list could be formed with a lot of work, not the list itself.

40 minutes or so can produce a list containing lots of false inclusions (but lots of true hits too). As with all these things, it really depends on the underlying data. You can produce in that short amount time a list of words that (according to Perseus) appear in the NT but do not (according to Perseus) appear in a select range of texts from a select range of pre-NT authors. The parts in red show that this is only a very general proxy for the actual desired list.

To whittle out most of the false inclusions you could:

A. spend 10s or 100s of hours adding more vocabulary from all the other pre-NT authors (a massive enterprise with diminishing returns, although if someone has a list of LXX vocabulary it would immediately knock out quite a few false inclusions - Perseus doesn’t have that), or

B. (As I proposed above) just research each word in LSJ and TLG. Because the LSJ helpfully gives its citations in chronological order, this is a quick exercise - if you open up a word in the list and there’s a citation from eg LXX or another work before the NT citation, you can knock it out straight away as a false inclusion.

Was just hoping that it would be a useful starting point (with the health warning!). I wasn’t proposing to work on this further and so instead set out exactly how to do it in Excel with the NT or another work, in case you wish to take this further yourself.

I estimate that it would take someone about 6 to 8 hours to look up each word in LSJ on Logeion and knock out the false inclusions using method B above: not too long in the scheme of things; a few chapters of a Greek textbook. I don't personally have the stamina for it for however: being capricious by nature, I'm focusing for the moment on Latin rhetoric after my first post-Covid trip to Rome a few weeks back and managing to negotiate (in basic broken Italian) a 17th c. Cypriani Soarii De arte rhetorica, after trawling through Rome's rare book stores to find it: will come back to the NT later!

Cheers, Chad

Jean Putmans
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jean Putmans »

I will work my way through the list, starting with comparing with Bernard A Taylor's Analytical Lexicon to the Septuagint, so excluding all LXX-words.

Maybe creating such a list would be something for the TLG-people, they probably have the (big) means and the knowledge to do that.

Jean Putmans
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jean Putmans »

I followed - as far as possible - the scheme, Chad set out.

Working through all α- words (133) in his provional list, I could identify 37 that way as possibly NT-specific:

ἀγγαρεύω,
ἀγενεαλόγητος,
ἄγναφος,
αἱματεκχυσία,
ἀκατάκριτος,
ἀλίσγημα,
ἀμφοδέω,
ἀνάγαιον,
ἀναγεννάω,
ἀνακαινόω,
ἀνακαίνωσις,
ἀνεκδιήγητος,
ἀνεκλάλητος,
ἀνέλεος,
ἀνεμίζομαι,
ἀνεπαίσχυντος,
ἀνεύθετος,
ἀντιμισθία,
ἀντίχριστος,
ἀπάρνησις,
ἀπεκδύομαι,
ἀπέκδυσις,
ἀπελεγμός,
ἀποδεκατεύω,
ἀποκαραδοκία,
ἀποκαταλλάσσω,
ἀπορφανίζω,
ἀποσκίασμα,
ἀποφορτίζομαι,
ἀρτιγέννητος,
ἀρχισυνάγωγος,
ἀρχιτελώνης,
ἀρχιτρίκλινος,
ἀστήρικτος,
ἀφελότης,
ἀφθορία,
ἀχειροποίητος,

Some were ambiguous, so I left them out (at least for the moment).

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

Hi Jean, last thought on this: if you wanted to make the LSJ look-up for the remaining words a little faster, you could paste them into the Katabiblon link below, and click "link only": this will allow you to click each of the words and bring up the LSJ entry.

http://tools.katabiblon.com/perseus-hop ... /index.php

Hope this gives you a pathway to getting the list you asked for in your OP!

Cheers, Chad

Jean Putmans
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jean Putmans »

Thanks Chad, that saves a lot oftime. I am retired, so spending time is no problem, but spoiling time is.