Don't cross Constantine the Rhodian!

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
pster
Textkit Zealot

Don't cross Constantine the Rhodian!

Post by pster »

Leon Choirosphaktes did and found himself called an ὀλεθροβιβλοφαλσογραμματοφθόρος and a ψευδομυθοσθροπλασματοπλόκος and an Ἑλληνοθρησκοχριστοβλασφημοτρόπος. Silly contemporary academics think this was just political.
Last edited by pster on Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phalakros
Textkit Fan

Re: Don't cross Constantine the Rhodian!

Post by phalakros »

pster wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:06 pm ψεθδομθοσθροπλασματοπλόκος
ψευδομυθο[???]πλασματοπλόκος

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I claim σολοικοϐαττοϐαρϐαροσκυτογράφε for myself, though maybe just aspirationally.

The κυτο- puzzles me though. You can draw on a pot, I guess. Or σκῦτος meaning that he uses crappy parchment. Or χυτο-, meaning (at a real stretch) ink-blotting while writing with a quill pen. (Second guess seems best, of these.)

These are remarkably fun to say.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

phalakros wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:59 pm
pster wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:06 pm ψεθδομθοσθροπλασματοπλόκος
ψευδομυθο[???]πλασματοπλόκος
Yes. Thanks! I edited the post. I got the computer back from the shop and my u key was sticking.

phalakros
Textkit Fan

Post by phalakros »

pster wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:52 pm
Yes. Thanks! I edited the post. I got the computer back from the shop and my u key was sticking.
Sorry, my post was cryptic. By the question marks I was trying to ask what comes after μυθο-, since I couldn’t see what -σθρ- should be. In any case, these are fantastic examples of Byzantine ὀνοματοποιία. I trust you see that they are in iambic trimeter. Thanks for posting them.