Translation of Lesson LXXVI from D'Ooge's book

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Propertius
Textkit Fan

Translation of Lesson LXXVI from D'Ooge's book

Post by Propertius »

Hello, I'm back. I must finish what I started. Anyways. Enough small talk.

On pg. 188 of D'Ooge's book; pg. 34 of the answer key.

I. 1. The soldiers constructed a ditch of ten feet through their territory. 2. The leader of the Helvetii, a man of the greatest boldness, gave his sisters in marriage to the leaders of the neighboring tribes. 3. He wanted to establish their friendship to make war upon the Romans more easily. 4. The Germans and the Gauls were not of the same tribe. 5. Nearly all the Germans were of bodies with great strength. 6. The Gauls who bravely defended the town threw rocks of vast size from the wall. 7. When Caesar sought from the spies who inhabited that town, they responded that they were people with the greatest courage and with great counsel. 8. Walls of twenty feet to the left side, and to the right a river of great depth defended the town. 9.When Caesar had arrived at Gaul, there was a rumor that the Helvetii intend to march through the Roman province. 10. In order to keep them off from the Roman boundaries, Caesar made a fortification of many miles long.
II. 1. Caesar erat imperator multi consilii et magnae audaciae, ac rei militaris peritissimus. 2. Germani erant magnae magnitudinis, et existimabant Romanos nihil posse. 3. Viri summae virtutis in castris relicti sunt praesidio impedimentis. 4. Regis filia quae principi finitimae civitatis in matrimonium data est mulier pulcherrimae formae erat. 5. Milites fossam novem pedum circum castra perducent. 6. Flumen magnae latitudinis inter nos et hostes erat.
Last edited by Propertius on Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Translation of Lesson LXXVI from D'Ooge's book

Post by bedwere »

Propertius wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:27 am Hello, I'm back. I must finish what I started. Anyways. Enough small talk.

On pg. 188 of D'Ooge's book; pg. 34 of the answer key.

I. 1. The soldiers constructed a ditch of ten feet through their territory. 2. The leader of the Helvetii, a man of the greatest boldness, gave his sisters in marriage to the leaders of the neighboring tribes. 3. He wanted to establish their friendship to make war upon the Romans more easily. 4. The Germans and the Gauls were not of the same tribe. 5. Nearly all the Germans had great strength of their bodies. 6. The Gauls who bravely defended the town threw rocks of vast size from the wall. 7. When Caesar asked the spies who inhabited that town, they responded that they were people with the greatest courage and with great wisdom. 8. Walls of twenty feet from the left side, and a river of great depth from the right defended the town. 9.When Caesar had arrived in Gaul, there was a rumor that the Helvetii intend to march through the Roman province. 10. In order to keep them off from the Roman boundaries, Caesar made a fortification many miles long (of many miles).
II. 1. Caesar erat imperator multi consilii et magnae audaciae, ac rei militaris peritissimus. 2. Germani erant magnae magnitudinis, et existimabant Romanos nihil posse. 3. Viri summae virtutis in castris relicti sunt praesidio impedimentis. 4. Regis filia quae principi finitimae civitatis in matrimonium data est mulier pulcherrimae formae erat. 5. Milites fossam novem pedum circum castra perducent. 6. Flumen magnae latitudinis inter nos et hostes erat.