ἐπὶ ἐνιαυτὸν

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Avocado
Textkit Neophyte

ἐπὶ ἐνιαυτὸν

Post by Avocado »

Ok, so this, as a phrase, is translated "for a year". But ἐνιαυτὸν means "year, anniversary, any long period of time, cycle, astronomical period" and some of the meanings for ἐπὶ are (with acc., of time) for or during (a certain time), for (a long time); up to, until (a certain time). So shouldn't it be possible that ἐπὶ ἐνιαυτὸν also means 'for a cycle'? Or 'for or during an anniversary'?

A search for ἐπὶ ἐνιαυτὸν in Diogenes shows pages of "for a year". But since it was translated from the language it was originally written in, is it possible ἐπὶ ἐνιαυτὸν could have those other meanings?

How likely is it?

bailongma
Textkit Neophyte

Re: ἐπὶ ἐνιαυτὸν

Post by bailongma »

Yes I think that's right -- the cycle, I mean. When I was reading Homer there was some line -- "περιπλομένων ἐνιαυτῶν" -- and in some commentary it was described as "the revolving of the years", year because apparently it refered to the heavens being in the same (αὐτός) position

Avocado
Textkit Neophyte

Re: ἐπὶ ἐνιαυτὸν

Post by Avocado »

Thanks, I was thinking it was possible, because of the context. One of these days, I'm going to have to figure out how to do a better corpus search that excludes the English meaning "for a year", to know for sure. Don't know if that's possible, though. :)

Cheers