Iste vs. ille

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ClassyCuss
Textkit Neophyte

Iste vs. ille

Post by ClassyCuss »

Hi everybody,

I'm reviewing Capvt 12 of Wheelock and I found some online flashcards with the translations of the exercises, but I have some (rather nitpicking) doubts about this one:

12. That friendly queen did not remain there a long time.

is translated as

12. *Ista* regīna amīca ibi nōn diū rēmānsit.

Wheelock offers two main explanations for "iste" as opposed to "ille"
1) iste means "that one there close to you" (of yours), and/or
2) iste is pejorative/dismissive/off-puttish.

I've noticed that these flashcards automatically use "iste" as a translation for "that", whether pejorative or not. I don't see why "That friendly queen" should be pejorative (unless it's some sarcastic diatribe by Cicero where he's lambasting Anthony: "that "friendly" queen of yours, Cleopatra" .

Isn't "Illa regina amica" better as a positive formulation?

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: Iste vs. ille

Post by seneca2008 »

ista seems wrong, not nitpicking at all.

As you say unless it's ironic it doesnt really make sense. Any system that automatically uses one form rather than another seems suspect.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

ClassyCuss
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Iste vs. ille

Post by ClassyCuss »

Thanks again, Seneca! I'm starting to question my judgement about "this" and "that" even in English, because I use them about 50:50 ("this" for something new and "that" for something already referred to) but I notice that everybody else these dats is saying "this" about 90% of the time even in expressions like "This said" or "This is how it used to be", which make me cringe but I guess I'm getting old (don't want to get too off-topic though)