A sentence from Fabulae Syrae

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Antonius Calvus
Textkit Neophyte

A sentence from Fabulae Syrae

Post by Antonius Calvus »

Chapter XXXIII.3 tells the famous anecdote about Gaius Mucius Scaevola and Lars Porsenna.
I'm thinking about the best way to translate a particular sentence into English.

Rex vero, fortissimum iuvenis animum miratus, cum eum
amoveri ab ara iussisset, "Abi!" inquit, "tu, qui tam audacem
te ostendis! Utinam pro mea patria ista virtus staret! Nunc
iure belli liberum te hinc dimitto."

I understand that Porsenna wishes that such courage would be used in the service of
his own country, but what would be a proper way to translate staret into English?
OLD gives over 20 different meanings.

How about this?
"I wish that courage would serve my country!"
Fures privatorum furtorum in nervo atque in compedibus aetatem agunt, fures publici in auro atque in purpura.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: A sentence from Fabulae Syrae

Post by seneca2008 »

Serve would be ok but it loses the sense of standing firm, being immovable etc. Utinam could also be "would that" so "would that this courage stood firm for my country."

Livy actually wrote:

" Iuberem macte virtute esse, si pro mea patria ista virtus staret; nunc iure belli liberum te intactum inviolatumque hinc dimitto"

I have looked in the new translation of Valerie M. Warrior 2006 Hackett and she writes:

"I would invoke success upon your courage, if that courage were in the service of my country. "

So service was at least the choice of one fine modern translator.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Antonius Calvus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: A sentence from Fabulae Syrae

Post by Antonius Calvus »

"Would that this courage stood firm for my country." I like the sound of that. Much better than my version. Thanks!
Fures privatorum furtorum in nervo atque in compedibus aetatem agunt, fures publici in auro atque in purpura.