nova exercitia latina 1

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
little flower
Textkit Member

nova exercitia latina 1

Post by little flower »

hi again textkit friends
i am having trouble with the nova exercitia of roberto carfagni.
particularly ch 27, ex7. this exercise deals with adverbs and locatives
it starts with 'iulia , quo it tata?cur non h_ manet et mecum in horto ludit?
is there any irregularities in this exercise and if so could you direct me to an appropriate reference book or explanation.
also my self and a friend (oliver)are coming near the end of lingua latina vol 1. would anybody be able to suggest a suitable transition text before jumping straight into roma aeterna . i am currently working with the ali (ancient language institute). they offer a couple of streams after familia romana. the church latin stream is the one of most interest to me.
i was thinking of evan milners adler. (available at latinum) i believe their is a hard copy of this text as well as the audio and answers to the exercises.
thanks for your help
little flower.

-

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: nova exercitia latina 1

Post by seneca2008 »

Hi

Could you post some of your answers so that we can see what the difficulties are? or perhaps could you be a bit more precise about what you find difficult. If you need a table of these adverbs look here https://dcc.dickinson.edu/grammar/latin ... on-adverbs

it seems fairly straightforward. the answer to the first question is hīc (here). All this was covered in earlier chapters ( 3.40 5.85). Do you remember the locative case ? rūrī is introduced in this chapter. (domum and domo came up in chapter 20)

Why would you want to use another text before tackling Roma Aeterna. That seems to be the natural successor. Have you been reading the fabulae syrae alongside familia romana? if not read them before you carry on with Roma Aeterna. The crucial thing is to read things which interest you.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

will.dawe
Textkit Fan

Post by will.dawe »

ch 27, ex7
Exercitium septimum
1. hīc
2. domō; illīc
3. illinc; hūc; domum
4. illinc domum
5. domī
6. rūs; rūre domum
7. Rūrī; hīc; illūc
8. Hīc; domī
9. illīc; rūre; illinc; hūc; domum
10. rūs; hīc
coming near the end of lingua latina vol 1. would anybody be able to suggest a suitable transition text before jumping straight into roma aeterna
i believe their is a hard copy of this text as well as the audio and answers to the exercises.
If you are asking about the answers to Nova exercitia Latina, then it's a separate book. You can buy it on Amazon.
Two verses he could recollect // Of the Æneid, but incorrect.

little flower
Textkit Member

Post by little flower »

thanks seneca and will
i have the answers to nova exercitia (via kindle)i will review the ch27 ex7 exercises again and will get back to you if i have specific problems.
dan

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Will

I wonder if I am interpreting your infographic correctly? Is it suggested that De bello Gallico etc are tackled before Romae Aeterna? I thought the first few chapters of RA would be necessary before doing this.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

will.dawe
Textkit Fan

Post by will.dawe »

seneca2008 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:57 pm Is it suggested that De bello Gallico etc are tackled before Romae Aeterna? I thought the first few chapters of RA would be necessary before doing this.
Yes, I agree with you. De bello Gallico will be difficult to those who finished only Familia Romana.

P.S. The picture is from this website: https://www.addisco.nl/lingua-latina-per-se-illustrata/.
Two verses he could recollect // Of the Æneid, but incorrect.