Intro

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Tiberius
Textkit Neophyte

Intro

Post by Tiberius »

Hi. I’m a visual arts dropout (finished most of a BFA in painting) with a keen interest in exploring the strange boundary between mathematics and art. I’ve written one paper to this effect, «The Application of the 2D Structure Tensor in Visual Arts and Design» (2017).

As may be expected, I’m mainly interested in reading mathematical works in classical languages, such as the Disquisitiones Arithmeticae of Gauss. But I’m also interested in the Metamorphoses of Ovid and the other Metamorphoses, Apuleius’s.

I’ve been a fairly competent Arabist since long before I wrote that paper or went through the living hell that is art school. I’m currently reading something called the Carshun. This is the Arabic gospel transliterated into Syriac (Serta). An absolutely magical text.

I also lived in a Modern Greek-speaking country for 2 years, which convinced me that I like Latin better than Greek.

I lived in China over a decade ago and know a fair bit of Classical Chinese.

I wish I could call myself a Hebraist but I’m still unable to really read Hebrew. I can read and parse a fair amount of the words in the Torah. It’s just a very deep language. Maybe in a few years I’ll have advanced enough to really read it, but I plan to focus on Latin.

After I came back from China, when Obama was getting into his first year in office, I studied the poems of Catullus a fair bit. I had a dual-language Penguin edition, and it was pretty good. I’m looking for a similar edition so that I can memorize his poetry, as memorizing poems always helps me to learn languages.

After dropping out of school I learned quite a bit about electronics repair. I can fix or diagnose pretty much anything electronic.

I’m a decent coder, and I’d like to eventually form a startup in machine learning around some of my mathematical ideas.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Intro

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit!