Cicero, de natura deorum,2, 164-165 (Perseus)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Cicero, de natura deorum,2, 164-165 (Perseus)

Post by hlawson38 »

Balbus continues to declaim that the gods are involved in the lives of human beings.
Nam si omnibus hominibus qui ubique sunt quacumque in ora ac parte terrarum ab huiusce terrae quam nos incolimus continuatione distantium deos consulere censemus ob eas causas quas ante diximus, his quoque hominibus consulunt qui has nobiscum terras ab
oriente ad occidentem colunt
My translation effort:

For in fact, if we believe that the gods look out for all human beings, wherever they are and in whatever shores and however separated by distance from us, due to those causes that we already spoke about they also look out for humans who inhabit the lands close to us, from the east to the west.

I am having trouble with this phrase: continuatione distantium.

The phrase "close to us" was a wild guess.
Hugh Lawson

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: Cicero, de natura deorum,2, 164-165 (Perseus)

Post by seneca2008 »

For continuātiō ~ōnis/ OLD has :

"2 An unbroken extent, continuous stretch.
► numerus .. in "-one nullus est C ic . de Orat 3.186;
quacumque in ora ac parte terrarum ab huiusce terrae quam
nos incolimus -one distantium N.D. 2.164
; etc

so "quam nos incolimus continuatione distantium" is "distant from the stretch of land which we inhabit".

Is that enough help, Hugh?
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

seneca2008 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:44 pm For continuātiō ~ōnis/ OLD has :

"2 An unbroken extent, continuous stretch.
► numerus .. in "-one nullus est C ic . de Orat 3.186;
quacumque in ora ac parte terrarum ab huiusce terrae quam
nos incolimus -one distantium N.D. 2.164
; etc

so "quam nos incolimus continuatione distantium" is "distant from the stretch of land which we inhabit".

Is that enough help, Hugh?
Yes, very helpful. Just another question. I repeat the quotation for ease of reference.
Nam si omnibus hominibus qui ubique sunt quacumque in ora ac parte terrarum ab huiusce terrae quam nos incolimus continuatione distantium deos consulere censemus ob eas causas quas ante diximus, his quoque hominibus consulunt qui has nobiscum terras ab
oriente ad occidentem colunt.
Let me pull out the phrase which is still bothering me.
ac parte terrarum ab huiusce terrae quam nos incolimus continuatione distantium

So, does distantium agree with terrarum, and modify it?
Hugh Lawson

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

"So, does distantium agree with terrarum, and modify it?"

I think they are both genitive plural so
"in ora ac parte terrarum" in every coast and part of the lands"

then "distantium" far/remote

" ab huiusce terrae quam nos incolimus continuatione"

from the stretch of this land which we live in

Does this make sense?
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

seneca2008 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:46 pm "So, does distantium agree with terrarum, and modify it?"

I think they are both genitive plural so
"in ora ac parte terrarum" in every coast and part of the lands"

then "distantium" far/remote

" ab huiusce terrae quam nos incolimus continuatione"

from the stretch of this land which we live in

Does this make sense?
Yes! Many thanks!

The kernel of my difficulty came from failing to see this possibility. Even Rackham's translation in the LCL didn't help, although now I see the sense of it.
Hugh Lawson

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

I thought it was tricky to try and figure it all out. I tried to just follow the grammar and it dropped out. No doubt if I have it wrong someone will help us further.

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

seneca2008 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:21 pm I thought it was tricky to try and figure it all out. I tried to just follow the grammar and it dropped out. No doubt if I have it wrong someone will help us further.
I have to make a mistake 400 times before I can get something right. It's like driving nails with a hammer. After about 400 nails they start going in straight.
Hugh Lawson