Iulia's Intro

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
varnenas
Textkit Neophyte

Iulia's Intro

Post by varnenas »

Hi. I’m a student in the history of philosophy and I made my way to classical languages first driven by the dream of reading latin poetry then by professional interest. I had a short introductory course in latin and afterwards was studying grammar, reading easy texts on my own and finally reading and translating some renaissance latin texts with a friend from philosophy.

This academic year I started to study Ancient Greek with a volunteer teacher and a group of fellows. Since October I was studying obsessively, but some time ago the classes have stopped. This sad circumstance compelled me finally to register on the forum which I have been occasionally visiting for some time already gaining inspiration from discussions of learning methods and textbooks.

For now my study plan in Latin is to continue reading Roma Aeterna while revising some grammar topics. With Greek it is more complicated. I've finished 10th chapter of Athenaze I, 14th chapter of Alexandros (Greek Boy at Home by Cultura clásica ), read some chapters from Mythologica (by the same editor), had a glimpse on Thrasymachus (by Peckett and Munday) and Reading greek by JACT. These were the books we used in class with the study group. I would like to continue reading from these textbooks and doing grammar exercises. Although my main grammar textbooks are in Russian which is my native language, I extensively use grammar reference and exercises in other languages as well (mostly English and French).

I would be happy to connect to other learners, study together and have some advice from more advanced members of the community. As a beginner I often run into puzzling passages and constructions about and would be extremely happy if someone could give me a helping hand in these moments and confirm or correct my interpretation.

τοὺς θεοὺς εὔχομαι ὑμῖν διδόναι πολλὰ κἀγαθά

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Iulia's Intro

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit!

varnenas
Textkit Neophyte

Post by varnenas »

bedwere wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:19 pm Welcome to Textkit!
Thank you very much Bedwere!

Villanelle
Textkit Member

Post by Villanelle »

Hi Iulia,

I am also working on Athenaze and depending on your timezone would be happy to meet up on Zoom or Google Meets to work through this with you. I have also completed half of JACT but switched to Athenaze which I found easier.

I have studied Latin to an intermediate level and would be happy to go through that as well.

If you would like to chat please let me know and we can work out a way to meet.

Cheers.
Villanelle

varnenas
Textkit Neophyte

Post by varnenas »

Villanelle wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:42 am I am also working on Athenaze and depending on your timezone would be happy to meet up on Zoom or Google Meets to work through this with you. I have also completed half of JACT but switched to Athenaze which I found easier.

I have studied Latin to an intermediate level and would be happy to go through that as well.
Hi Villanelle! Thank you for your response and for the proposal. That would be fantastic to study together and schedule some reading sessions. I would love to! I'm interested both in Greek and Latin (it can be Athenaze and Roma Aeterna, for example). I'm in UTC+1 and my schedule is rather flexible. If needed, you can also contact me through private messages to discuss the details. Kind regards. Iulia.

Villanelle
Textkit Member

Post by Villanelle »

Thanks Iulia I have sent you a DM so look forward to hearing back! :D

Cheers.
Villanelle

Hortensius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hortensius »

Hi Julia and Villanelle

Have you finished Athenaze? If not, is it possible to jump in where you are?

kind regards
Corrige quod corrigendum est, quaeso!

varnenas
Textkit Neophyte

Post by varnenas »

Hortensius wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:08 pm Hi Julia and Villanelle

kind regards
Hi Hortensius! Thanks for your message. We ended up doing Latin reading sessions. However, I continue studying Athenaze on my own and would love to do it in somebody's company. I was reading through the Italian version with a study group. We did it until 12 chapter, I think. After the group was cancelled I went a bit back to revise earlier chapters and now I'm at the beginning of chapter 9. If you are interested, please, let me know, and we will arrange the details. It would be great to study together! Kind regards. Julia.

Hortensius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hortensius »

Hi varnenas!

Wonderful, I've sent you a PM.

/Hortensius

Villanelle
Textkit Member

Post by Villanelle »

Hortensius wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:08 pm Hi Julia and Villanelle

kind regards
Hi there Hortensius,

We skipped out on the Greek readings because I am slowly plodding my way through Athenaze and wasn't quite up to reading Greek out loud very well yet. Yulia and I meet once a week to read Cicero's letters to Marcus the younger his son. If you are interested in joining us you would be very welcome depending on timezone. I'm in Australia and Yulia is in Portugal so we meet my evening/her morning.

Cheers.
Villanelle

Hortensius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hortensius »

Hi Villanelle!

I see that I did not answer in time - is it possible to join today or can I make it to next week? Would be happy to join you guys and Cicero!

Villanelle
Textkit Member

Post by Villanelle »

Hortensius wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:52 am Hi Villanelle!

I see that I did not answer in time - is it possible to join today or can I make it to next week? Would be happy to join you guys and Cicero!

Hi Hortensius ,

I will send you a DM with the details of time etc that we meet up each week. Be great if you could join us!

Cheers.
Villanelle