inhaesionis

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
penelope
Textkit Neophyte

inhaesionis

Post by penelope »

I am translating a text by the 17th century astrologer Morin de Villefranche. I am unclear how to translate two phrases, both of which use the word inhaesionis. They are: quamvis in nullo inhaesionis subjecto recipiatur and sive ejus calor, vel influentia in nullo, sive in aliquo inhaesionis subjecto recipiatur.

For the first I want to say, in part--but without knowing what to do with inhaesionis: "even though it were received by no subject." For the second--again without knowing what to do with inhaesionis: "whether its heat or influence were received by nothing, or by some subject"

It seems that the words could mean (#1) "received by no adherent subject" and (#2) "or by some adherent subject." If either of these were adequate translations, I will have to admit I don't know what they would mean--which makes me further doubt whether either would be correct.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: inhaesionis

Post by bedwere »

It's the genitive singular of inhaesio, which means adhering, attachment. To what in astrology it precisely refers is beyond my pay grade.

Regarding the two phrases, it would be helpful if you posted more context, as we have no idea of what is actually received. Anyway, I'd venture to say:

even though it should be received in no subject of attachment. (present subjective signify doubt rather than unreality)

whether its heat or influence should be received by none, or by some subject of attachment (nullo goes also with subjecto)

Edit

Some Google search shows that subjectum inhaesionis belongs to Aristotelian tradition and means a subject compared to an accidental form. So what is received is an accident.

penelope
Textkit Neophyte

Post by penelope »

Thank you, bedwere, for your very helpful reply--including your comment on the subjunctive, nullo going also with subjecto, and the very helpful reference to, and comment on, the Aristotelian term subjectum inhaesionis. Looking at the link you included made the whole thing clear.

I will from now on include more of the context in which a phrase appears.

Again, many thanks for your reply.

Belastro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Belastro »

bedwere -- Thank you. Your answer also helped me understand "subjectum inhaesionis".