Schola Humanistica (online courses)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
will.dawe
Textkit Fan

Schola Humanistica (online courses)

Post by will.dawe »

In March, I took an online course Orpheus redivivus in Schola Humanistica. Recently it was finish, and I want to say that it was absolutely fascinating! And completely in Latin.

I was never a fan of Roman literature, and tended more to the works created in the time of the Renaissance or later epochs. However, this course demonstrated me the beauty of culture of Romans, Early and Late Middle Ages.

To be honest, poems of Virgil or Seneca were slightly above my level, so it was a good motivation to prepare to every class (I used the editions 'ad usum Delphini'). Also, the lecturer, Giuseppe Marcellino, passionately explained every difficult place and added many interesting facts.

We discussed the story of Orpheus, its versions from different authors, Christian interpretations, and connections to other Greek myths. Giuseppe showed us paintings and book miniatures, and unfolded their symbols.

In the next two weeks, the school starts a new course in Latin, and in Greek in June. To my sorrow, I can't participate, but strongly recommend it to every amateur of Latin.

List of courses
Two verses he could recollect // Of the Æneid, but incorrect.