ceteri vs alii

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

ceteri vs alii

Post by Constantinus Philo »

what is the difference between the two? like ceteri Romani - some Romans- alii Romani - other Romans?
Semper Fidelis

CMatthiasT88
Textkit Member

Re: ceteri vs alii

Post by CMatthiasT88 »

"Alius means simply other, another (of an indefinite number); alter, the other (of two), often the second in a series; ceteri and reliqui, all the rest, the others; alteruter, one of the two." -A&G 315, Part 2 Syntax: Pronouns, pg. 192

"ceterus -a -um...nominative singular masculine not found;...usually found in the plural ceteri -ae -a." -Cassell's Latin Dictionary pg. 101

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

ceteri = οἱ ἄλλοι, alii = ἄλλοι. That's all there is to it.

CMatthiasT88
Textkit Member

Post by CMatthiasT88 »

Does that clear anything up, Constantinus?

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

yes thank you but i have another question if possible here: alius vs quisdam. In his first letter, Seneca writes quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. I think it would be wrong to use alia here as we did in the reverse translation today: alia tempora....
Also, the sentence 'Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit.' we back-translated as : turpissima tamen jactura neglegentia fit. is this correct? I think it's quite Ciceronian. thankx
Semper Fidelis

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Yes quidam (not quisdam) works a bit differently from alius, so they’re not interchangeable. That said, you could use alia instead of quaedam in this Senecan passage without drastically altering the sense.

But what you are calling back-translating is actually just re-writing, in the same language. Back-translating is turning a translation of something back into its original language. For instance there's a papyrus fragment of a Greek translation of the Emperor Augustus’ funeral oration for Marcus Agrippa (delivered in 12 B.C.), and we can attempt to back-translate it into Augustus’ original Latin.

As for the two iactura sentences, they are approximately equivalent if neglegentia is ablative (certainly not if it’s nominative), but in Cicero as in Seneca per neglegentiam is more likely.

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

actually we are back translating: one day we translate something from Latin or Greek into English and then, a day or two later, we translate back from English into the original language. It's quite fun. Greek particles, of course, prove to be a problem.
Semper Fidelis

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

That sounds like a good exercise—perhaps even better if you allowed more time to elapse before doing the back-translation? I can see the particles would be a problem in the Greek, when they’re so tricky to translate into English in the first place!

Of course you could also try straight Greek-Latin translation or vice-versa, cutting out English altogether—as with Augustus’ laudatio of Agrippa that I mentioned. (I once had a go at that myself.) That's a good way of coming to grips with the differences between Latin and Greek.

will.dawe
Textkit Fan

Post by will.dawe »

Constantinus Philo wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:18 pm what is the difference between the two? like ceteri Romani - some Romans- alii Romani - other Romans?
You can consult with Dumesnil or Ramshorn. There are numerous dictionaries of Latin synonyms.
Two verses he could recollect // Of the Æneid, but incorrect.