Stephen’s introduction

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Stephen2042
Textkit Neophyte

Stephen’s introduction

Post by Stephen2042 »

Hello everyone! I am a complete beginner. I’m attempting to learn to read Latin. I studied French and German many decades ago and have always been vaguely terrified of the grammatical complexity of Latin.

I am starting to work through the “Reading Latin” books by Peter Jones & Keith Sidwell. I’m privately delighted at the coincidence that the first German text I studied was E.T.A. Hoffman’s “Der Goldne Topf” and now I’m starting Latin with an adaptation of Plautus’ “Aulularia”.

Looking forward to gleaning wisdom from the collective hive mind of the Textkit forums.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Stephen’s introduction

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit!

Villanelle
Textkit Member

Post by Villanelle »

Hello Stephen,

I am using the Reading Latin series as well and am up to the middle of Section 3 on Romulus and Remus.

Please feel free to reach out if you would like to discuss anything, either here or by DM. I think it's a great series of texts and is well laid out to make learning easier and less frightening with the grammar!

Cheers.
Villanelle

Stephen2042
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Stephen2042 »

Hi Villanelle,
Thanks for your kind words of welcome and encouragement. I will take you up on your offer once I get into a rhythm of working with the books. I always feel I’m learning more if I have at least three books open on my desk!
Cheers
Stephen