αὐτῶν αὑτῶν: grammatical commentary requested

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

αὐτῶν αὑτῶν: grammatical commentary requested

Post by hlawson38 »

Thucydides 1.112.2
καὶ Ἑλληνικοῦ μὲν πολέμου ἔσχον οἱ Ἀθηναῖοι, ἐς δὲ Κύπρον ἐστρατεύοντο ναυσὶ διακοσίαις αὑτῶν τε καὶ τῶν ξυμμάχων Κίμωνος στρατηγοῦντος. (Perseus)
The 1928 revised edition of LCL, instead of αὑτῶν, gives αὐτῶν.

How should we think about the different choices made by editors?
Hugh Lawson

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: αὐτῶν αὑτῶν: grammatical commentary requested

Post by mwh »

Since it refers to themselves, the reflexive αὑτῶν (=ἑαυτῶν) is in order, and I would expect that to be editorially preferred. But I’m not sure that αὐτῶν can positively be said to be wrong. The manuscripts are unreliable in such matters, and there’s often inconsistency among editors.

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Re: αὐτῶν αὑτῶν: grammatical commentary requested

Post by hlawson38 »

mwh wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:54 pm Since it refers to themselves, the reflexive αὑτῶν (=ἑαυτῶν) is in order, and I would expect that to be editorially preferred. But I’m not sure that αὐτῶν can positively be said to be wrong. The manuscripts are unreliable in such matters, and there’s often inconsistency among editors.
Many thanks, Michael. I will think exactly that. From this work, it was nice to learn that ἑαυτῶν is sometimes spelled αὑτῶν. Now if I can just remember that!
Hugh Lawson